Endura 4 ZDP-189 SE (C10SGRE)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Accutronman

Endura 4 ZDP-189 SE (C10SGRE)

Post by Accutronman »

Just picked up a LNIB Endura 4 SE IN ZDP-189 that was discontinued in 2010. Sabre grind and the spydie edge cuts like going through butter. What a great knife! Sorry to see it discontinued.
Wartstein

Re: Endura 4 ZDP-189 SE (C10SGRE)

Post by Wartstein »

At least it is still available in VG10 (sabre grind and SE). I just own a sabre grind Endura in PE, that one is great for whittling and bites into wood better than the FGG, and one in sabre grind combo edge, also a cutting beast
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

In 2008, I got in an car accident where I was broadsided by an F250 in my Grand Cherokee. I ended up on my roof and had to be cut out of the safety belt. I vowed that it wouldn't happen again and have carried one in my back pocket since.

It has been a workhorse for me. I am glad I got a backup when I got this one.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have the VG-10 combo edge in my desk, but my ZDP is FFG.

I admit that they rarely see any pocket time at this point, but I have some sentimental fondness for them. I still regret letting of my G-10 Endura.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

You sir are a lucky man.
I broke the lock on mine doing some hard use car repair with my trusty zpd fully serrated endura a few weeks ago
They really need to bring this one back.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JAfromMN wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:09 am
You sir are a lucky man.
I broke the lock on mine doing some hard use car repair with my trusty zpd fully serrated endura a few weeks ago
I can assure you all they won't bring back any ZDP-189 Spyderedged blade. Spyderco said that because of the extreme brittle properties of ZDP-189 that it didn't work out well in a serrated edge and that they had several complaints with those blades in SE.

The ideal properties for a serrated edge are somewhat different than they are for a plain edge. I've found over the years that most of my better Spyderedged units have blade steel that doesn't make the best steel for plain edges. There are a few exceptions like VG-10 and to some degree XHP but it's mostly blade steels with properties like ductility and good tensile strength that tend to do well with teeth.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:04 am
JAfromMN wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:09 am
You sir are a lucky man.
I can assure you all they won't bring back any ZDP-189 Spyderedged blade. Spyderco said that because of the extreme brittle properties of ZDP-189 that it didn't work out well in a serrated edge and that they had several complaints with those blades in SE.

The ideal properties for a serrated edge are somewhat different than they are for a plain edge. I've found over the years that most of my better Spyderedged units have blade steel that doesn't make the best steel for plain edges. There are a few exceptions like VG-10 and to some degree XHP but it's mostly blade steels with properties like ductility and good tensile strength that tend to do well with teeth.
I can hope. :) yeah I don't think it will happen. It's too bad. Fully serrated zpd worked great for me I got years of hard use on it