The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: The Endela - what are your hopes for it?

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:52 am
A handle like the Stretch 2 and 50/50 finger choils VG-10 and LC200N steels.
On THIS one I am not with you... ;)

I guess you know how much I love the Stretch.
But: The Endela most likely will be of quite similar size as the Stretch, Sal stated a Stretch featuring a more Endura shaped blade would be in the works, so: If the ENDELA would feature a 50/50 choil AND a Stretch like handle it would be quite redundant, wouldn´t it?!

Besides, I also love the Endura and Delica and have no problems to choke up on their Ricassos just like on a 50:50 choil (and enjoy the benefit of having my hand placed closer to the edge in a regular grip), so I´d really like to see a knife of similar shape, but in size between Endura and Delica.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Okay
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:08 am
Vivi wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:18 pm
I only want one thing - a handle that fits my hand.
Awesome... :D :D
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

He should be fine with a Para3. But better leave the police 4 for someone else
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

Split the difference between the size of the Delica and the Endura, and maximize blade length. I love the Delica 4 but am perpetually frustrated by the ricasso and the extra space at the bottom of the grip that could accommodate a longer blade. A better steel and a liner lock would just be gravy.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I hope the Endela's handle is shaped more like Delica's than the Endura's. I know they are very similar, but there are a few differences, and I would like to see the Endela favor the Delica more than the Endura.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Durham68 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:36 am
Split the difference between the size of the Delica and the Endura, and maximize blade length. I love the Delica 4 but am perpetually frustrated by the ricasso and the extra space at the bottom of the grip that could accommodate a longer blade. A better steel and a liner lock would just be gravy.
I am totally with you concerning blade length!!!
Happen to like backlock more than linerlock though, and I think it's some kind of a trademark of the Endura family
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:47 am
Durham68 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:36 am
I am totally with you concerning blade length!!!
Happen to like backlock more than linerlock though, and I think it's some kind of a trademark of the Endura family
Backlock is fine. Not my favorite, but more than acceptable. I've had it in my head for years to regrind the ricasso on a Delica to extend the cutting edge as far as possible and replace the function of the ricasso with some kind of standoff closer to the pivot. I am hoping the Endela makes me forget I ever considered it. The picture below is as close as I’ve seen to what I want. It would be really nice not to have to spend so much to get there.
3DF63450-86D8-4A1B-B9E0-84995E3B1CD3.jpeg
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Durham,

Welcome to our forum.

Interesting discussion. The molds are already finished. I guess we'll see if you like it? Though it seems like different knife afi's like different features, so not everyone will be satisfied. The entire concept is an R&D study. The 3.5" blade length is the result of two things. Many jurisdictions have moved from a larger blade length limit to 3.5" and there was a gap in the Endura family line between the Endura and Delica. When I designed the Stretch, it filled the 3.5" blade length requirement, but with the different blade shape and a finger choil, it was not really part of the "family". The Endela was designed to be a sibling. The straight spine Stretch 2 is just a test.

Preferences to locks, blade shapes, blade lengths, are all just that. Preferences. One is not really better than another, just different solutions. Each solution has its advantages and disadvantages. Even the handle and blade of the Delica were very carefully designed. The concept of blade/handle ratio is more of an "eye appeal" thing than function thing.

sal
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I don’t see the big hoopla I’ve handle to blade ratio.
A short useful blade in a sufficiently large comfortable handle is A-Okay with me.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:12 pm
Hi Durham,

....... The concept of blade/handle ratio is more of an "eye appeal" thing than function thing.

sal
Truth! My fingers and I would not like the delica as much if the blade went all the way to the handle. Would make closing the knife a two handed job.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:38 pm
sal wrote:
Hi Durham,

....... The concept of blade/handle ratio is more of an "eye appeal" thing than function thing.

sal
Truth! My fingers and I would not like the delica as much if the blade went all the way to the handle. Would make closing the knife a two handed job.
Right, but the blade could extend to the very end of the handle when the knife is closed. So just keep the Ricasso, but lengthen the edge a bit.
All personal preference, of course. I like my Delica as it is, but 4 mm more edge would be a nice thing still.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Warstein,

4mm more edge would make it illegal in many jurisdictions.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:16 pm
Hi Warstein,

4mm more edge would make it illegal in many jurisdictions.

sal
Thanks, that´s what I almost thought.

Beeing such a great folder and one of the best selling ones (I figure?), as many people as possible should be able and legally allowed to carry one, so adressing that blade-length-limit-issue is a good thing.

But maybe one day there´ll be a "maximum-blade-length-sprint-run" of the Delica? I´d buy one immidiately!! ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Hi Durham,

Welcome to our forum.

Interesting discussion. The molds are already finished. I guess we'll see if you like it?
Hi Sal,

WHEN will we see if he/we like(s) it?
Any time perspective when the Endela will be released? I am very excited about this model (even had to start this thread to bear the wait... ;) )
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
sal wrote:
Hi Durham,

sal
That's one of the reasons I hoped for a liner lock along with more edge.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Durham68 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:26 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
sal wrote:
Hi Durham,

sal
Mayve I got that wrong, but do you feel a backlock knife not featuring a Ricasso cannot be closed one handed without risk for the fingers?
It is really no problem, there are several quick methods to do it.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Endura blade flippin' out one end and a Delica blade flippin' out the other!!!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:47 pm
Durham68 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:26 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
sal wrote:
Hi Durham,

sal
Mayve I got that wrong, but do you feel a backlock knife not featuring a Ricasso cannot be closed one handed without risk for the fingers?
It is really no problem, there are several quick methods to do it.
Agreed, but I still prefer other locks that make it easier. It’s a tertiary issue. Just another preference to add to the pile.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I have a little test for perspective knives. With the lock disengaged, I hold the knife in a normal grip and very slowly and gently begin to close the knife, simulating accidental closing/ lock failure . If the ricasso hits my finger and stops the blade from closing, I consider buying the knife. If the blade hits my finger I don't.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal