Two things that today cannot be done.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steeljustice

Two things that today cannot be done.

Post by steeljustice »

One: improve the Spyderco Pm2.
Two: Exceed the speed of light.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Two things that today cannot be done.

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Contoured scales?

Fluted Titanium with integral compression lock?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

steeljustice wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:58 am
Correct, because tomorrow may bring the tanto PM2 ;)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:15 am
Contoured scales?

Fluted Titanium with integral compression lock?
I want to see a new titanium compression lock aswell, I hope that's what the larger Caribbean is. No holes in the scales though.

I would buy a tanto PM2, but otherwise I'm not interested in more PM2s.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Contoured handles would be sick, I think maybe a wireclip and squeeze a bit more edge into the handle
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

The PM2 doesn't feel very good in my hand. I think the Shaman was a vast improvement. I also agree that a Ti frame with integral compression lock would be a huge improvement.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

#1.Find an Orange Handled DLC PM2 in CTS-XHP for a reasonable price.

#2. Reopen the Government.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Switching to a back lock would make me put a PM2 back in my rotation.

I miss owning one, it was a nice knife for when I wanted a tiny and unobtrusive carry, but the lock gave me issues.
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

steeljustice wrote:
This is contrary to popular belief and brothers SpyderEdgeForever and Pelagic are working on a Sheepsfoot PM2 with Tanto tip and possible serrated edge as I type. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I agree with the OP with a whole heart. The PM2 is just amazing. I was actually going to post my own "ode to the PM2" after laying on my cot
opening and closing one of mine. The blade is the perfect size to my taste. The compression lock is probably the most clever lock there is.
The knife fits my hand nicely (I know this varies with individuals). The Manix fits more like a glove, but the PM2 is friendly and comfortable.

The CBBL is awkward to close with one hand (possible, but tricky). The compression lock is straightforward. The backlock is absolutely impossible.
Not that I often find any urgent need for one hand closing (it can be handy when the other hand is holding something and you want to put the knife back in your pocket). I admire the strength of the backlock, but it loses points on closing.

As for a PM2 with contoured handles. I think that might just be the Shaman. And as for Tanto and Sheepsfoot variations, I guess that is fine,
but I view them as interesting variations, not improvements.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:00 am
The CBBL is awkward to close with one hand (possible, but tricky). The compression lock is straightforward. The backlock is absolutely impossible.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Here's two ways to easily close either with one hand. You can also activate the lock release and push the spine of the blade against your leg
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Thanks Vivi --

You set me to practicing. The reach to the hole for the backlock is tricky, and I have to take care so my other fingers don't wander into the way of the closing blade. The same is true of the CBBL if I try to use a finger to push it close. Both can be done nicely if the knife drops free. My Manix drops free with ease. The Manix backlock only does so if you really fully depress the lock bar. So, thanks for showing the way.

But I still maintain that the compression lock is literally made for easy one hand closing.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I’ve had an absolutely perfect S110V PM2 since they first came out. I’ve carried it maybe a dozen times and it still sports a factory edge. I don’t know what it is but I prefer the Stretch 2 even though I like the compression lock over a back lock and I prefer the Military to the Stretch anyhow. Ah, hahaha! :)

I won’t buy another one and certainly not a Tanto or Sheep’s Foot. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:44 am
Thanks Vivi --

You set me to practicing. The reach to the hole for the backlock is tricky, and I have to take care so my other fingers don't wander into the way of the closing blade. The same is true of the CBBL if I try to use a finger to push it close. Both can be done nicely if the knife drops free. My Manix drops free with ease. The Manix backlock only does so if you really fully depress the lock bar. So, thanks for showing the way.

But I still maintain that the compression lock is literally made for easy one hand closing.
It takes some getting used to, but with practice it should become second nature. I use the method of keeping my index finger in the spydiehole to close all of my backlocks. This lets me ensure the blade doesn't swing into my fingers, because I can control how much it travels manually.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

As much as I like PM2 as it is, I must boldly affirm that it can be improved big time :
1. Thinner blade stock(3.2mm instead of 3.7mm) and thinner behind the edge when profiled at 15dps( 0.02 inch instead of 0.08 )
2. Better blade to handle ratio
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:44 am
Thanks Vivi --

Vivi wrote:
It takes some getting used to, but with practice it should become second nature. I use the method of keeping my index finger in the spydiehole to close all of my backlocks. This lets me ensure the blade doesn't swing into my fingers, because I can control how much it travels manually.
I find the backlock very easy to close with one hand, but that´s probably just because it is my favorite and byfar most used locks.
Additional to the methods Vivi described, there are several more I use:

- My most used one: Close the blade halfways while keeping you index finger in the spydiehole; then rotate the knife by 180 degrees in your hand, so that the back of the handle faces downwards; while rotating the knife, your index finger automatically gets out of the hole and with the other 3 fingers to the side of the handle, the thumb to the opposite side of the handle; than put your thumb in the hole and close the knife (the other 4 fingers are automatically out of the way) by pulling the blade downwards

- Just one more, before it gets to long winded: Close the blade halfway again with your index finger in the hole; then put your thumb on the other side of the hole and do some "reverse Spydie-drop", so flick the handle upwards towards the edge and close the knife by doing so

-
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

1. Hear the clatter of the coin that is the final down payment on a woman’s happiness.

2. Benefit from being right in an argument with your wife.

Those are two things that cannot be done today! :)

https://imgur.com/gallery/wFfDhMk
Crux

Post by Crux »

steeljustice wrote:
Except, then came the Para 3, which came and broke the speed of light.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Make the tip more stout so there are less snapped tips. Chamfer the edges of the g10.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

steeljustice wrote:
Really I couldn't have said it any better myself. Even with all the fanfare and "hoopla" going forth about the PM3 model I just have to seriously scratch my head because personally when they shortened the blade on the PM 3 it just made me cringe :( .

Now I'm much more of a C-36 Military fan than I am a PM2 fan>> but I do agree with you when they introduced the PM2 they truly hit that one out of the park with two men on base :cool: I'm keeping two of the PM2 models in my arsenal just in case I was to have to move or temporarily be located at a place where they have draconian, non-Constitutional knife laws :mad: >> then I'll have a good piece of hardware to get me by till I can get back to the love of my life which is my M390 Military :cool: But the PM2 with S90V or S110V do make great back up units needless to say.