I miss old school Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: I miss old school Delica

Post by TomAiello »

It'd be cool to have "retro" sprint runs, where an old model was given a sprint exactly as it originally appeared.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:44 pm
It'd be cool to have "retro" sprint runs, where an old model was given a sprint exactly as it originally appeared.

I always kick myself for not buying the FRN clipped Delica I had in my hands in the 90’s. I’d love one in VG 10.
- best wishes, Jazz.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:25 pm
TomAiello wrote:

I always kick myself for not buying the FRN clipped Delica I had in my hands in the 90’s. I’d love one in VG 10.
Pick one up on ebay or bladeforums (less so Bladeforums, not many originals sold there from what I see).

ebay is good, just have to watch the market for a while and look / search 2 - 3 times a week,

I'm amazed at how many good - very good FRN Endura 1's and Delica's come up.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:01 pm
I think there's a reason the endura's tip is made the way it is, other than "let's just remove some steel"
I vaguely remember Sal or someone posting something about why when I first joined and was talking early Endura's.

I think it was to do with strength and tip breaking.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I do think I put my knives through some "hard use" but I have never broken a tip. My hard use is mostly stuff like battoning or cutting metal--stuff that hits the middle of the blade. I've had lots of chips in the edge, but always halfway back--my tips stay pretty good.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Oh YES!! Especially a sprint of the Stretch 1 for me!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:51 pm
I've chopped and batoned with Millies, and have never carried one to an office job. No broken tips. That's what the flat heads on my multitools are there for.
I must admit, I actually never broke the tip of a folder, but once the one of a fixed blade while trying to carve a little figurine out of a bone. The knife was the Enzo Trapper ffg in N690 steel ( https://www.knivesandtools.at/de/pt/-en ... gIPlPD_BwE )
It's tip is maybe rather filigree for a fixed, but would be quite stout for a folder. Since I broke it, I am worried about the tip of my Millie, for it looks so delicate.
But it could well be that that particular Enzo Trapper had a bad heat treat or something
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I've had a Delica of some sort since the 1st version. Personally the Delica 4 is my favorite so far. Ergonomics are the best since the original. No worries about the clip snapping off like the original - plus it's mountable 4 ways. VG-10 is a step up from GIN1/2. Edge options are not just PE or SE, but you also have FFG. Nested liners are a love/hate for some. Personally I don't mind the extra weight. I did like the pointier tip of the original, but I've not felt the need to modify my current Delicas. I vaguely remember taking a bit of the tip off one of the original Delicas while working EMS. Little bit of time on a Norton benchstone and I had it pointy again.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Halfneck wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:01 am
I've had a Delica of some sort since the 1st version. Personally the Delica 4 is my favorite so far. Ergonomics are the best since the original. No worries about the clip snapping off like the original - plus it's mountable 4 ways. VG-10 is a step up from GIN1/2. Edge options are not just PE or SE, but you also have FFG. Nested liners are a love/hate for some. Personally I don't mind the extra weight. I did like the pointier tip of the original, but I've not felt the need to modify my current Delicas. I vaguely remember taking a bit of the tip off one of the original Delicas while working EMS. Little bit of time on a Norton benchstone and I had it pointy again.

In my OP I am in favor of the D4 handle. Keep the ffg version with the hump. I only wish they replace the FRN sabre grind D4 version with a hollow grind and make the hollow grind version with a pointy tip for those who like the looks and prefer the strenght of the old school blade. The tip should be strong enough for the "normal" user not to mention that the hollow ground blades are better slicers than the sabre ground ones AFAIK. It's interesting that the stainless steel handle version has a hollow ground blade. There is one more reason for my request : spyderedge on a saber ground is not deep enough IMO. They lack the cutting power of the hollow ground spyderedge for sure. I only hope Sal is reading this ;)
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red