Best knife for deer skinning.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ShawnKirkpatrick

Best knife for deer skinning.

Post by ShawnKirkpatrick »

I’ve searched the forum but could really find the exact answer I was looking for. I’ve planned on getting back into deer hunting this coming fall and was getting my list together of a few things I need to pick up and I looked at my small collection of spyderco and don’t know if any of them would fit the bill to be a good hunting knife. I have a para2, yojimbo 2, and a G-10 dragonfly. I was looking at the H-1 line but have seen that the PE version isn’t the best when it comes to edge retention but as far as getting the knife bloody and giving it a quick rinse under water and not having to worry much more about it seems almost good enough to sacrifice a little edge retention. But I also saw a few suggestions for maybe a Delica or endura for a good hunting knife. Also would anyone suggest a fixed blade for this over a folder? If so I was also looking at the Ark.
knivesandbooks

Re: Best knife for deer skinning.

Post by knivesandbooks »

ARK may be a little small but I'm not a hunter so I have no idea. Just seems small.
Maybe check out the Enuff. It is small too, but more handle. Not sure there is enough belly on it for skinning purposes.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

This is the kind of application Sal designed the Stretch 2 for.

If you want a fixed blade, the Moran Drop Point would be a great choice.

I gave a lady friend who hunts a discontinued version with orange scales. If you look around, you might be able to find one.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/FB02OR/439
Last edited by Catamount123 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
ShawnKirkpatrick

What would be a good steel to try and find the stretch in for skinning?
Catamount123 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:10 pm
This is the kind of application Sal designed the Stretch 2 for.

If you want a fixed blade, the Moran Drop Point would be a great choice.

Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

The standard VG-10 will do the job nicely. The V-TOKU 2 sprint in the picture is available right now for not a lot more. It is a tough steel, and will hold an edge longer than VG-10. It's not stainless, though, so it will require a little more care, and will discolor (patina) quickly from blood. Some don't mind this, or actually find it desirable.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

If you are looking for a folder, then the stretch is the way to go. Fixed blades are what I Prefer for that task and I would recommend either the sprig or the southfork.
ShawnKirkpatrick

What’s the extra care steps for taking care of a non stainless steel like V-TUKO?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

A drop of mineral oil after you clean it. Only the edge is exposed carbon steel, the majority of the blade is covered by the stainless cladding.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

ShawnKirkpatrick wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:15 pm
What’s the extra care steps for taking care of a non stainless steel like V-TUKO?
Coating of oil, keep clean and dry.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Holland

Post by Holland »

I used my junction and Hap40 stretch this year. Worked great
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:05 pm
ARK may be a little small but I'm not a hunter so I have no idea. Just seems small.
Maybe check out the Enuff. It is small too, but more handle. Not sure there is enough belly on it for skinning purposes.
That "ARK" model is a most interesting selection and most certainly one I wouldn't dare laugh at. It is a bit small but I can testify as to a couple of times I bagged a deer unexpectedly on the final day of two different seasons and all we had to field dress with on both occasions were small to mid-sized folders. Lucky for us both of them had some curve on them.

Now one blade I've used a lot on deer is my hallowed, first generation, Spyderco TEMPERANCE 1 model. Any time I've got those ( PE & SE versions) of the TEMP 1 with me I always enjoy using that model.

I've also done some serious boning with a couple of my Catcherman models. Also there was one time I helped a buddy of mine field dress and skin one with my XHP Military model. And the C-36 Military is a fine folder for deer hunting. But I do encourage everyone to always have a nice fixed blade that you like and are comfortable using for hard, demanding work like field dressing wild game.
Fargo203

Post by Fargo203 »

I vote mule. MT26 or MT22 would be excellent choices. I prefer 3.5 for skinning deer, lack of control/finesse with anything larger when working around the legs etc. Plus the MT is great for field dressing as well. Additionally Halpern make a variety of scale to suite your preference. I use a MT17 and it stays sharp though multiple deer.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I can only guess a Maxamet mule or Rex 121 Mako would be my choice for skinning.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

At this point in time Spyderco has so many great fixed blades you can use for deer hunting and field dressing. I still like the old school models. Both of those Spyderco MORAN models are ideal as well as the original TEMPERANCE 1 model that was also made in Spyderedge. And cutting up deer in the field and especially quartering them you will be thankful that you also brought a Spyderedged model. I can't tell you how many times it has saved my day.

OH what I would give to have either one of those old school Spyderco fixed blades in either M390 or S110V>> or any other of the Supersteels for that matter.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Not a hunter, but a big Stretch-fan. Just wanted to mention that the Stretch is based on a model actually called "hunter". Looks exactly like a smaller version of the Stretch, similar blade shape and all.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Holland wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:25 pm
I’ve not skinned anything with my Junction yet but I think it would work well as would the Southfork.

It’s a shame both knives are discontinued. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ShawnKirkpatrick

I didn’t even think about the Mule Team collection. That’s a good idea. What are a few more Mule team steel options you guys would suggest that are still available?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:39 pm
Holland wrote:
I’ve not skinned anything with my Junction yet but I think it would work well as would the Southfork.

Oh BLOKE quit being modest :rolleyes: I know you skin at least 2 to 3 red Kangaroos a week for your own supply of "outback burger" :D :D
It's a little chewy but I bet it tastes a lot like chicken :D

But what do you do with the skins and the left over tails :eek: :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:33 pm
knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:05 pm
That "ARK" model is a most interesting selection and most certainly one I wouldn't dare laugh at. It is a bit small but I can testify as to a couple of times I bagged a deer unexpectedly on the final day of two different seasons and all we had to field dress with on both occasions were small to mid-sized folders. Lucky for us both of them had some curve on them.

Now one blade I've used a lot on deer is my hallowed, first generation, Spyderco TEMPERANCE 1 model. Any time I've got those ( PE & SE versions) of the TEMP 1 with me I always enjoy using that model.

I've also done some serious boning with a couple of my Catcherman models. Also there was one time I helped a buddy of mine field dress and skin one with my XHP Military model. And the C-36 Military is a fine folder for deer hunting. But I do encourage everyone to always have a nice fixed blade that you like and are comfortable using for hard, demanding work like field dressing wild game.
I have almost no experience in skinning (just assisted skinning several sheep a long time ago), so I´d be interested:

What features should a skinning knife generally have? The few things I kind of think have heard, are: A NOT too pointy tip (so I was a little surprised that the Military is mentioned), rather small and a good amount of belly..

Maybe some hunters / skinners could give their expertise?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:42 pm
Bloke wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:39 pm
Holland wrote:

Oh BLOKE quit being modest :rolleyes: I know you skin at least 2 to 3 red Kangaroos a week for your own supply of "outback burger" :D :D
It's a little chewy but I bet it tastes a lot like chicken :D

But what do you do with the skins and the left over tails :eek: :D
Ah, hahaha! I won’t eat Hoppers Joe, but truth be known, I’ve skinned a few. Usually with a 5” swept back Dexter Russell boner.

Australia is the land of waste. If we drop a Roo for the dogs all we use are the back legs, the back straps and the tail cut into three inch section. The rest is left to rot or for foxes to eat jammed up by a log or stump. :eek:

Dogs love Hoppers! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin