Spyderco new FRN Lightweights: What do you think will be the best?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Spyderco new FRN Lightweights: What do you think will be the best?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:07 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:40 pm
Spyderco has released the Endura Lt. Wt. with Wharncliffe blade.

Spyderco has also released the ParaMilitary Lt. Wt.

We have sal telling us that Spyderco will eventually release a Caly 3.5 Lt. Wt. FRN model.

And there is talk of very possible Military Lt. Wt. FRN.

Which of these are you most interested in or are you interested in all of them?

I love the Endura but I am especially interested in the Caly 3.5 FRN and Military FRN.

Will the Caly 3.5 FRN have a WIRE Clip or hourglass clip?
You mean "released the Para 3 Lt. Wt.", right?! Though a PM 2 Lt.Wt. would be of much more interest for me personally,it´s more in the size range I prefer.

Of the ones you mentioned above I am by far most interested in a Caly 3.5 FRN... in fact VERY interested!! Noticeably shorter in closed length than even the Stretch, but offering even a little more edge, choil in the HANDLE for the most part, not in the blade, so sacrificing not too much edge, and all in an affordable, lightweight FRN - package... count me in!! What comes to my mind immidiately: Such a Caly will strongly compete with an "Endela" (I started a thread concerning this knife: Endura family, sized between Endura and Delica), given they will be in the same price category..(though I figure the Caly will feature better steel and be more expensive?!)

Concerning a Military LW: Someone discussed in a recent post, that it would be questionable how much LIGHTER in weight you could really make a Military: It is quite light right now, due to the only partial liners, a FRN model would maybe have to get longer liners to be strong enough?!
Still, it would be more affordable, and FRN has it´s advantages over G10 (and vice versa).

Imho they should and probably will come out with a PM2 LW before a Millie LW...
Great analysis and great points. Why do you think they will come out with a PM2 LW before a full scale Millie LW?

I like your posts more and more, friend. Thank you!
SpyderEdgeForever

Bloke wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:20 am
Not too sure what will be the best but interesting times ahead.

Maybe the introduction of the Lightweights will pave the way to a new series of Salt models? :)
This is exactly what I am hoping for, too!

If they were to make a Caly 3.5 Lt. Wt. with Lc200n, do you think alot of people would be happy and get it?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:18 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:07 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:40 pm
Spyderco has released the Endura Lt. Wt. with Wharncliffe blade.
You mean "released the Para 3 Lt. Wt.", right?! Though a PM 2 Lt.Wt. would be of much more interest for me personally,it´s more in the size range I prefer.

Of the ones you mentioned above I am by far most interested in a Caly 3.5 FRN... in fact VERY interested!! Noticeably shorter in closed length than even the Stretch, but offering even a little more edge, choil in the HANDLE for the most part, not in the blade, so sacrificing not too much edge, and all in an affordable, lightweight FRN - package... count me in!! What comes to my mind immidiately: Such a Caly will strongly compete with an "Endela" (I started a thread concerning this knife: Endura family, sized between Endura and Delica), given they will be in the same price category..(though I figure the Caly will feature better steel and be more expensive?!)

Concerning a Military LW: Someone discussed in a recent post, that it would be questionable how much LIGHTER in weight you could really make a Military: It is quite light right now, due to the only partial liners, a FRN model would maybe have to get longer liners to be strong enough?!
Still, it would be more affordable, and FRN has it´s advantages over G10 (and vice versa).

Imho they should and probably will come out with a PM2 LW before a Millie LW...
Great analysis and great points. Why do you think they will come out with a PM2 LW before a full scale Millie LW?

I like your posts more and more, friend. Thank you!
Thank´s for your kind words - I´d be happy already if you solely understand my posts, witten in my rather clumsy English, if you in fact LIKE them, that´s even better.. ;)

/ Now why do I think they should and will come out with a PM2 LW before a (full scale) Millie LW:

- First: Technical Reasons: I guess, the PM 2 LW could be constructed much like the Para 3 LW (same lock, closer in size to the Para 3 than the Millie would be...) - so they could apply what they learned when designing the Para 3 LW mostly to the construction of the PM2 LW
- Second: The PM 2 benefits more from a FRN lightweight construction when it comes to reduced weight (the Millie already IS wuie light for it´s size due to the only partial liners)
- Third, economical reasons: I personally think the market for a PM 2 lightweight is a lot bigger than the one for a Millie lightweight (that´s most likely true for the regular PM2 vs the regular Milli also); I figure many more wait for the release of a more affordable PM 2 LW than a Millie LW, the former will sell better
- Fourth, tradition...: The Millie is just the Spydie that always stays the same, no CQI... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SpyderEdgeForever

Here is a page with a video that shows the original Caly 3.5 being opened and closed and held. You can picture this with the FRN handle.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP144G ... 10-handles

Will the new one retain the same exact dimensions as the original, but with the FRN handle?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Personally I hope the new frn Police makes it into the Salt lineup. I’d love a serrated H1 Police!!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:28 pm
Personally I hope the new frn Police makes it into the Salt lineup. I’d love a serrated H1 Police!!
Me too! I really want much more LC200N in many more models fore sure!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:28 pm
I'd be afraid if that happened I'd buy five and then stop buying folders for the next decade. FRN Police is already a dream, rust proof version with take it over the top.
:unicorn
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I have always loved the Police design. I’ve always felt though that it was a little too big for a normal EDC knife...at least for me. If, however, they made an H1 version, that would be much more of a “work knife” for me. I would see it as a longer, slicier version of the Pacific Salt and would probably carry one every day for fishing/work. I also think an ultra tough steel like H1 would be an ideal fit for a long thin blade like the Police. And I can only imagine what a beastly cutter that thin blade would make with a spyderedge. If they made a Police “Salt” it wouldn’t surprise me if it ended up outselling the vg10 version.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:59 pm
I have always loved the Police design. I’ve always felt though that it was a little too big for a normal EDC knife...at least for me. If, however, they made an H1 version, that would be much more of a “work knife” for me. I would see it as a longer, slicier version of the Pacific Salt and would probably carry one every day for fishing/work. I also think an ultra tough steel like H1 would be an ideal fit for a long thin blade like the Police. And I can only imagine what a beastly cutter that thin blade would make with a spyderedge. If they made a Police “Salt” it wouldn’t surprise me if it ended up outselling the vg10 version.
I’m with Lance on this, except I’d like it in LC200N so it can be FFG. That would make it lighter and a better slicer. Of course, the old saber ground Police design with the partial swedge would be perfect for braining fish.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Not a huge fan of H1. I have the Serrated Pacific salt and prefer the Carribean Serrated In LC200N. Could also be the Spydie edge is different.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:19 pm
Bloke wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:20 am
Not too sure what will be the best but interesting times ahead.

Maybe the introduction of the Lightweights will pave the way to a new series of Salt models? :)
This is exactly what I am hoping for, too!

If they were to make a Caly 3.5 Lt. Wt. with Lc200n, do you think alot of people would be happy and get it?
Definitely! I'll always prefer G10, but I'd take FRN. Anything for more LC200N!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

I'm struggling with whether to jump on the PM3 LWT knives or not. I am primarily a Spyderco collector. I have all of the PM3's, but if Spyderco starts the color of the month like Delica & Endura I would never be able to keep up. Already they have released 22 PM3's in 24 months. This prevented me from buying any other Spyderco's. PM3 LWT's with special steels would be ok, but not flood the market with different color FRN with CTS BD1N steel.
Out of 28 Manix2 releases 7 have been LWT, 4 LWT's with higher end steel, CPM S110V, CTS XHP, MAXAMET, CPM S90V.
SpyderEdgeForever

CXXX wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:07 pm
I'm struggling with whether to jump on the PM3 LWT knives or not. I am primarily a Spyderco collector. I have all of the PM3's, but if Spyderco starts the color of the month like Delica & Endura I would never be able to keep up. Already they have released 22 PM3's in 24 months. This prevented me from buying any other Spyderco's. PM3 LWT's with special steels would be ok, but not flood the market with different color FRN with CTS BD1N steel.
Out of 28 Manix2 releases 7 have been LWT, 4 LWT's with higher end steel, CPM S110V, CTS XHP, MAXAMET, CPM S90V.
What would be your "ideal" Spyderco knife?
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:15 am
CXXX wrote:
My Spyderco EDC is a Caly 3.5, great size good blade length.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

CXXX wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:11 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:15 am
CXXX wrote:
Thinking about it, of all the lightweights that maybe some day will come, for me a Caly 3.5 LW and the "Endela" (as I imagine it to be) are the most anticipated for sure.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
tangent

Post by tangent »

I remember reading in another thread that there is going to be a model that is sized between a Delica and Endura. This model seems very interesting especially in a linerless Salt version with LC200N. I think Sal even said himself that this model is in the works (not sure about the Salt part though).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tangent wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:05 pm
I remember reading in another thread that there is going to be a model that is sized between a Delica and Endura. This model seems very interesting especially in a linerless Salt version with LC200N. I think Sal even said himself that this model is in the works (not sure about the Salt part though).
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82660 ;)
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

All, I'm in for all of them. All the FRNs please.

Back when I first discovered Spyderco in the mid-1990s, FRN knives like the Delica, Endura, Progrip, Snap-It, Remote Release, Merlin, Rescue, Rescue Jr, etc where there bread and butter. I miss those days, and knowing that trend is coming back around has me really excited.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

CXXX wrote:
As a wiser forum member than me once put it, it's almost an Endura in blade length but almost a Delica in handle length. Can't ask for better than that.
gibs0n

Post by gibs0n »

ASmitty wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:36 am
CXXX wrote:
As a wiser forum member than me once put it, it's almost an Endura in blade length but almost a Delica in handle length. Can't ask for better than that.
My first 10 or so Spyderco models were FRN (Cricket, Dragonfly with molded clip, Delica 3, Ladybug, Jester, Native III, Calypso Jr, Meerkat). I love love love FRN and this thread has me all kinds of excited and my wallet all kinds of panicked.

But of all the possibilities mentioned, any and all FRN Calypso family make me most intrigued. Bring on FRN Caly 3, Caly 3.5, and even Calypso!!!