Anyone else here still love the Starmate?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cbrstar

Anyone else here still love the Starmate?

Post by cbrstar »

A few weeks ago I had the moral dilemma of choosing between two of Bob Terzuola's iconic designs the C55 Starmate and the C174GP Double Bevel. (First world problems right? :rolleyes:) I asked both here and on another forum which knife I should buy? And I got a 100% response for the Starmate!
I actually ended up buying both knives, but I couldn't help but think about what makes this knife so Special?

Lets go all the way back to 1998 (Pic is from 1999 catalog)...Things were changing! Google was founded, Bill Clinton was impeached, and Britney Spears released her debut album "Baby one more time". Spyderco was also changing. For many years Spyderco considered themselves the working mans knife with the majority of their models being FRN and stainless steel for their handles. When you look at their catalogs from the early 90's there IMHO is a clear distinction between the regular models and the custom collaborations such as the C15 and C22 by Micheal Walker. In fact it seems if you wanted a premium production knife Spyderco actually had an entirely separate brand called SOLO, HIRO, and MOKI, and GSAKI. But with knives like the Military being released it was time for C15 to be updated to.

The new C55 would become one of both Bob's and Spyderco's most iconic models.

What I love about this knife and it's something you have to hold in your hand to fully understand is it's ergonomics. Even with gloves on it's a extremely comfortable knife to hold. There's just something that installs confidence in you as you hear the click of the walker liner lock. I feel like it's the type of knife that can handle just about anything from camping to the Apocalypse :D It's a combat knife disguised as a slick modern Gentleman's folder.

I could be wrong the edge degree seems to be about 30-40 which is great for cutting rough stuff.

Unlike the Double Bevel this is not exactly a small knife, here it is next to my PM2 and my Military.

Despite the many positives this knife has there is one people need to be aware of and that it's not "New York City Safe". This knife is very easy to flick open which I attribute to the blade thickness.

I feel like I'm very blessed and fortunate to have found and purchased this knife. People criticize the price and that it is VG10, but I believe it's fairly priced as Bob Terzuola is a true artist and everything he makes is a masterpiece of design.
cbrstar

Re: Anyone else here still love the Starmate?

Post by cbrstar »

I just wanted to add..

The original MSRP was $156.95, which adjusted for inflation comes to approx $228 in 2015. When you add in the steel was upgraded from 440v to VG10 and the yen dramatically jumped in value from the 90's you can clearly see the cost is actually pretty much the same.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Looks a nice knife.

Not sure what I'd do with the upper sharp edge but nice looking knife just the same.

Why do you call it "It's a combat knife disguised as a slick modern Gentleman's folder."

What "combat" about it ?
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Yes! One of my favorite older models. Would love to see one made in Golden with DLC 3V or Cruwear and an interesting color G10 scale.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

cbrstar wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:48 pm
I just wanted to add..

The original MSRP was $156.95, which adjusted for inflation comes to approx $228 in 2015. When you add in the steel was upgraded from 440v to VG10 and the yen dramatically jumped in value from the 90's you can clearly see the cost is actually pretty much the same.
Most people wouldn't consider VG10 an upgrade over 440V (also knows as CPM-S60V). Love the design though, but I prefer the original (it's almost as good as a Military)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I love them both, actually i love all the Terzuolas :)
I echo the above, VG10 is hardly an upgrade over 440V..

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Now I know what to carry today! I lusted after the Starmate for a long time based on design alone. It didn't need a rare steel or some other novelty to catch my eye, just clean lines and a strong, polished blade. Still one of the best blade finishes I've seen. I finally got mine as they were being discontinued for a pretty reasonable price, and I carry it with some frequency. When that blade flies open and locks into place, the sound and feel remind me why. And as far as the steel debate sizzling up here, I'm on team VG-10. It's a beloved knife steel for a reason, while S60V was discontinued, also for a reason. :p
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Cool knife, kind of reminds me of a combination of a Gayle Bradley and Stretch.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

I remember when they had the Starmate on clearance at Sierratradingpost at a ridiculously low price
and I didn't pull the trigger... another smart move on my part.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

RobDigi wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:18 am
I remember when they had the Starmate on clearance at Sierratradingpost at a ridiculously low price
and I didn't pull the trigger... another smart move on my part.
Haven't we all been there at some point in time, hovering over they "buy" button, then thinking ..naah, and after a couple of years you want to kick yourself for not getting it while you could :D
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

500Nitro wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:19 am
Looks a nice knife.

Not sure what I'd do with the upper sharp edge but nice looking knife just the same.

Why do you call it "It's a combat knife disguised as a slick modern Gentleman's folder."

What "combat" about it ?
It's the thickness and shape of the front of the blade. I could be wrong but imho it seems to be designed to penetrate stuff. Bob T is the Father of the tatical knife and it definatly shows up here
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sometimes regret selling mine. I would love to see a sprint run. BHQ?
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

cbrstar wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:27 am
500Nitro wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:19 am
Looks a nice knife.

What "combat" about it ?
It's the thickness and shape of the front of the blade. I could be wrong but imho it seems to be designed to penetrate stuff. Bob T is the Father of the tatical knife and it definatly shows up here
OK, yes, I can see what you mean. I haven’t held one but it is like a bayonet.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Going to have to get mine (440V) out of the Spydie drawer.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

cbrstar wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:27 am
I like the looks of the Starmate, particularly the blade shape. I seem to use pointed blades a lot so that is why I like it. After looking at them a lot I decided that I would probably not like the thick blade so I've never bought one.
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

it's kinda weird how time changes perception. I've honestly never owned anything in 440V, so I did some researching 440V vs VG10. Most posts I found were around 2002. I'm not sure if maybe VG10 was the latest wonder steel at the time but most seemed to prefer it over 440V. Comments at the time talked about how VG-10 was easier to sharpen and many people thought it looked much nicer as 440v apparently looked a little dull. They also said that 440V was OK for cutting things like rope but not the greatest for "Fine cutting" what ever that meant.

I'm speculating here but were the sharpeners just not up to the task of sharpening a harder steel like 440V back then? I've been wondering if the rise of super steels like S110V are due to improvements in sharpening systems.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I know of a shop that carries a few BNIB discontinued Spydies. They have a PE Starmate, but it's over $200. PM me if you want the link.

It's the VG10 run with full liners.
:unicorn
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

cbrstar wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:52 pm
They also said that 440V was OK for cutting things like rope but not the greatest for "Fine cutting" what ever that meant.

I'm speculating here but were the sharpeners just not up to the task of sharpening a harder steel like 440V back then?
The problems some people had sharpening Spyderco's 440V were due not to it being harder, but to its high wear resistance combined with a relatively soft heat treat (~56 HRc IIRC). One common complaint was how difficult it could be to remove the burr when sharpening.

The high wear resistance also made it difficult to obtain a polished edge without a lot of work and very fine diamonds. However, 440V will take and hold a great aggressive edge.
blues

Post by blues »

I have one of the late 90's 440V versions. Awesome knife. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
- Retired from the chase -
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I've always wanted one of the old 440V models. Passed on the VG-10 reissue.