Help picking my 1st spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wolverine10

Help picking my 1st spyderco

Post by Wolverine10 »

Hello,

Looking for an EDC around 3” and around $100. I have a cold steel recon 1 4” spear point in CTS-XHP for harder use and am looking for a smaller EDC for everyday tasks. I have large hands not necessarily wide but long fingers. Unfortunately not a lot of dealers nearby so haven’t been able to get my hands on the knives I’m thinking about.

Native 5 LW S35V - sounds like it has good ergos and will typically fit larger hands. Hear it has great durability and is a tough knife for its size. Not sure I like visual look of the FRN and worry I may not like the feel because I’m used to a heavier knife with G10. I know many prefer it to the G10 but I’m worried it will feel like plastic. Lmk what you think.

Chaparral FG - Honestly my usually cutting tasks are fairly trivial and I hear this knife slices like a champ. Like that it’s small and light for EDC but worried my hand may be too big for it.

Para 3 G10 S30V - another similar sized knife. Wondering if people prefer this or the native 5. Also saw it was coming out in FRN.

Let me know what you think of these or if you have any other recommendations.
Thanks
Last edited by Wolverine10 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lodestar

Re: Help picking my 1st spyderco

Post by Lodestar »

Words of warning: All of the knives you mentioned have significantly less than 3" of actual cutting edge due to the finger choil being counted as blade length. If you want 3" of actual cutting edge, swap the native to a manix, swap the Para 3 for a Para 2.

Native is a good knife. The FRN is a personal preference honestly. I like and prefer it, but some think it feels cheap or weak. I think it feels better, more ergonomic with rounded edges on some models, and lighter. The native is now made in S30V I believe, places haven't updated their website typically if they list S35VN.

Chapparal is a bit small and thin, but for trivial tasks, who cares. It is great in the pocket. Mostly it is about being small, thin, and light. When you get to harder or repetitive cutting a larger/longer handle is probably better.

Para 3. If it fits your hand well, it's a winner. There is a brand new lightweight model being released soon.

Good luck, feeling it in person is the best way to know, but not a lot of places with more than a few models. Maybe you can locate any model in FRN so you can feel it.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Have you checked out the Tenacious/related models? I got my brother an Efficient for Christmas and it is really nice. The G10 might suit your wish for a more substantial feel while staying within your pride range.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The native is a great knife. I have large hands and it works well for me. Definitely feels like plastic but it's durable. Had mine since 2013 and I haven't broken it yet from dropping it or throwing it. I don't mean throwing it like a throwing knife but tossing it to people 15 feet away and it hitting the ground. Closed of course. I mean I've thrown it like a throwing knife too and it hasn't failed. Fit and finish is great on them and the lockback doesn't have any play. The S35VN steel holds up really well and I'd recommend it if you can still find one. I have the serrated model though.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Ohhhh boy. These threads are always the best, before you know it someone is telling the OP to get a S110V Millie. :confused:

I think those are a pretty good 3 knives to narrow down your decision for your first Spyderco. The Chaparral is a great knife, but depending on your uses you may want something a little "tougher" Native and Para 3 are both great choices. Depends if you prefer a backlock or compression lock. If you tend to fidget with your knives, the compression lock is fun. You also have to decide if you want a blade with or without the thumb ramp. The Para 3 for my hands (medium-large gloves) feels amazing using the choil and thumb ramp.

The LW models handle scales do tend to have a "plastic" feel to them compared to G10.

If you were to buy today, unless you find a used Para 3, you likely won't find one around $100. I think they retail around $130?? I'd probably go with a brand new Native. That's obviously up to you. G10, thumb ramp, compression lock for the Para 3... but also more money.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Highly recommend the Chaparral LW. Very small and unobtrusive but excellent ethos and cutting ability. Cts-xhp is a really good edc steel as you probably know from your Recon 1 (unless it's an Aus8 or s35vn variant). Hard to beat for ability relative to size/price/ weight.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

My two cents:

I own all three of these... if you want a knife for challenging cutting tasks/light abuse, then I'd say #1 Native, #2 Para 3, #3 Chaparral. For balanced use without any hacking or prying I'd revise that to #1 Para 3, #2 Native, #3 Chaparral. If what you need is slicing power on easily cut material then #1 Chaparral, #2 Para 3, #3 Native.

While I like and regularly carry all three designs, if I had to choose just one I'd take the Para 3 without hesitation.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

awa54 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:43 am
My two cents:

I own all three of these... if you want a knife for challenging cutting tasks/light abuse, then I'd say #1 Native, #2 Para 3, #3 Chaparral. For balanced use without any hacking or prying I'd revise that to #1 Para 3, #2 Native, #3 Chaparral. If what you need is slicing power on easily cut material then #1 Chaparral, #2 Para 3, #3 Native.

While I like and regularly carry all three designs, if I had to choose just one I'd take the Para 3 without hesitation.
100% agree. Great break down!

-Rick
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Hi Wolverine,

Given the choice of the three you list, I'd advise that you go with the Native 5, especially if you're trying to keep it ~$100.. it is a comfortable, compact, highly functional, all-around solid choice for edc.. don't let the FRN scales dissuade you, they really are quite durable and the reduced weight is nice, especially for summer carry.

Realistically, any of the knives you list above.. and a gazillion more.. are absolutely awesome for edc purposes. Which is best for you really comes down to personal preference. Each have their pros and cons, but any Spyderco you decide on will be a superior cutting tool.

In my experience though, one Spyderco leads to more..

Happy shopping!

Rick
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

^^ YEP! He'll look back at his post in about a year, and realize he's got all 3 of those knives and then some haha!

-Rick
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

At just a little over size and price, I’m going to suggest the Manix2. It’s a pocket hog but such a good knife. It will likely work better for large hands than the choices listed. Of those I’ve only got the Native but I find it too small. The Manix has a wide or tall handle so it fills a large hand nicely. The blade is great for edc and more, thin enough to be slicey but still pretty robust. All that and the lock is strong and good for fidgeting if you’re into that. You have the choice of the g10 version or lightweight depending on what’s more important, that crazy strong feel or the edge of your pocket, lol! Really though mine has never been a problem to carry. I have the older Cruwear version with grey g10, it was my first, (of many) Spyderco Knives and still gets carried often, just yesterday actually. If you can find a Domino, they’re great too. Similar in hand and pocket but framelock flipper. Not sure what they go for if you can find them?
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Ric

Post by Ric »

I would try them in person.
Different lock, weight.
Hard to compare.

For me Para 3 any day.

At the end you cannot go wrong with any of them.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Wolverine, Lodestar,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Hello Wolverine,

Out of the three you listed, I own the Native 5 LW and the Chaparral LW; Both great knifes, but I personally prefer the Chaparral. Amazing slicer, superb fit and finish (not that the Native is bad, don´t get me wrong). For normal EDC tasks the thin blade of the Chap is easily strong enough and works great.
That said, if I could only have ONE single knife for EVERY possible task and had to choose between the Chap and the Native: I´d probably go for the Native, for the slightly longer and more robust blade. However I have to second the posts above: Most likely you´ll own MORE than one Spyderco eventually ;)

If your choices are not necessarely limited to the knives you listed: As a first Spyderco you can´t go wrong with a Delica. It was MY first one too, still own and love it (plus a second one ;), I also have large to X-large hands, and love the ergos.

Anyway, welcome to the Forum and enjoy your knife!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

I'd wait a few weeks and get the best of all three... the Lightweight Para 3 for $90. ;)
awa54

Post by awa54 »

spyderg wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:38 pm
At just a little over size and price, I’m going to suggest the Manix2. It’s a pocket hog but such a good knife. It will likely work better for large hands than the choices listed. Of those I’ve only got the Native but I find it too small. The Manix has a wide or tall handle so it fills a large hand nicely. The blade is great for edc and more, thin enough to be slicey but still pretty robust. All that and the lock is strong and good for fidgeting if you’re into that. You have the choice of the g10 version or lightweight depending on what’s more important, that crazy strong feel or the edge of your pocket, lol! Really though mine has never been a problem to carry. I have the older Cruwear version with grey g10, it was my first, (of many) Spyderco Knives and still gets carried often, just yesterday actually. If you can find a Domino, they’re great too. Similar in hand and pocket but framelock flipper. Not sure what they go for if you can find them?

The Manix 2 LW would definitely be a good fit for heavier use knife under $100, but it *is* a larger knife than any you mentioned, though I think it's a better slicer than the Native 5. CTS BD1 isn't a bad steel either, but CPM S30V and CTS-XHP will hold a working edge longer (however both are a bit harder to sharpen in my experience) ...and if you need a knife for hard use, the regular G10/S30V Manix 2 is a lot of knife for $115!

The Manix LW may be large, but it's light enough that I don't mind carrying one all day, the G10 Manix is a bit more of a commitment.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Kyle8734

Post by Kyle8734 »

Native 5 Salt is awesome at just over $100. I have been carrying one since Christmas and loving it. Dont get me wrong i still love all my knives that are not stainless steel but this LC200N has been great. No worries when you dont clean it super good, great edge retention, easy to sharpen and gets really sharp.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

The Stretch 2 lightweight is 2.97" edge length. 3.43" overall blade length. And it comes in right at $100. Should be great for larger hands, too.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Wolverine10 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:48 pm
Hello,

Looking for an EDC around 3” and around $100. I have a cold steel recon 1 4” spear point in CTS-XHP for harder use and am looking for a smaller EDC for everyday tasks. I have large hands not necessarily wide but long fingers. Unfortunately not a lot of dealers nearby so haven’t been able to get my hands on the knives I’m thinking about.

Native 5 LW S35V - sounds like it has good ergos and will typically fit larger hands. Hear it has great durability and is a tough knife for its size. Not sure I like visual look of the FNG and worry I may not like the feel because I’m used to a heavier knife with G10. I know many prefer it to the G10 but I’m worried it will feel like plastic. Lmk what you think.

Chaparral FG - Honestly my usually cutting tasks are fairly trivial and I hear this knife slices like a champ. Like that it’s small and light for EDC but worried my hand may be too big for it.

Para 3 G10 S30V - another similar sized knife. Wondering if people prefer this or the native 5. Also saw it was coming out in FNG.

Let me know what you think of these or if you have any other recommendations.
Thanks
I have found that the Baby Horn is an EXCELLENT edc knife! I finally bought another one after my father stole my last one... Needless to say, I still love it. It's less than 3"(like 2.66") but it is great and it is $100. Oh, the blade is also very thin and slicey!

Take the clip off of it and throw it in your pocket.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:38 pm
The Stretch 2 lightweight is 2.97" edge length. 3.43" overall blade length. And it comes in right at $100. Should be great for larger hands, too.
I second this suggestion. Stretch 2 is indeed great for larger hands and features probably the most versatile blade I personally have experienced in a folder.
I suggested the Delica above, but if you're ok with spending just a little more money the Stretch is even better. Furthermore, closed it is just a bit longer than the Delica but gives you a lot more blade.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)