POLL: Possible new double blade folder: Would you like to see another version featuring a saw?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

POLL: In a possible new double blade folder: Would you like to see another version featuring a saw?

Yes, I´d be interested in another version of a possible new Dyad (double blade folder) featuring a saw and a plain edge
24%
Yes, I´d be interested in another version of a possible new Dyad (double blade folder) featuring a saw and a serrated edge
4%
Yes, I´d be interested in another version of a possible new Dyad (double blade folder) featuring a saw and a combo edge
2%
No, I am solely interested in a possible new Dyad (double blade folder) featuring a plain edge and a serrated egde, no saw in any case or version
35%
I am interested in a double blade folder in a configuration not mentioned (maybe specify in comment)
11%
No, I am generally not interested in a double blade folder
25%

Total votes: 55

500Nitro

Re: POLL: Possible new double blade folder: Would you like to see another version featuring a saw?

Post by 500Nitro »

A multi tool with a saw, yes.

With a Diad, why carry the weight of the saw when it’s maybe a 10% use item.

So yes, carry a saw or a multi tool with saw when required - out bush - but diad all the time.

Re the bending sapling, it just came to me when I had to use my Endura up northern Aus when out bush.

More to follow, Gotta go !
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Wartstein

Re: POLL: Possible new double blade folder: Would you like to see another version featuring a saw?

Post by Wartstein »

500Nitro wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:29 am

More to follow, Gotta go !
Looking forward to it, like that kind of constructive discussion. :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

NO ! It's thought and designed to be a double-blade knife not a multitool :( In a clipitool maybe... but that's another story
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:37 am
NO ! It's thought and designed to be a double-blade knife not a multitool :( In a clipitool maybe... but that's another story
Clear opinion! ;)
Thanks for sharing and voting!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:16 am
Vivi wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:23 am
How would you feel about a bushcraft focused Clipitool?

We could have a blade, saw, awl and can opener / flat head combo tool, sort of like a Victorinox Farmer.

Maybe include a lanyard with a firesteel as well?

I like your original idea, but I think it might suffer the fate of being expensive and niche. A clipitool could solve the price issue and make it more accessible to folks, while still providing a robust tool.
Thanks for your reply!

I am with you in that a high quality , thus more expensive Dyad featuring a saw would most likely be TOO niche and by far not selling well enough to be a success economically speaking

And yes, as I stated in a comment above, in a multitool for the outdoors besides a saw I always want an awl (the lack of an awl is what
´s keeping me away from leatherman wave, among other reasons (weight, too short screwdrivers...)).

Still I think there are some, who´d like to carry a higher quality blade / saw combo than the Clipitool would probably offer. Don´t get me wrong, not that the Clipitool is bad quality, but at least when it comes to the blade(-steel) knife-enthusisiast would want something "better", I guess.

So: Stimulated by your suggestion: Maybe what would be the best product for me personally: A clipitool in a better steel (at least for the knife), featuring knife, saw and awl.. ;) (No can opener / flat head-phillips combo and firesteel: I guess that would impair the ergos of the handle and I if I needed those tools I could still bring a very light and small multitool, cause it would not have to feature saw and awl than :Leatherman Juice S2 for example)
You might like the LM Rebar.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:00 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Vivi wrote:

We could have a blade, saw, awl and can opener / flat head combo tool, sort of like a Victorinox Farmer.

I like your original idea, but I think it might suffer the fate of being expensive and niche. A clipitool could solve the price issue and make it more accessible to folks, while still providing a robust tool.
Thanks for your reply!

I am with you in that a high quality , thus more expensive Dyad featuring a saw would most likely be TOO niche and by far not selling well enough to be a success economically speaking

And yes, as I stated in a comment above, in a multitool for the outdoors besides a saw I always want an awl (the lack of an awl is what
´s keeping me away from leatherman wave, among other reasons (weight, too short screwdrivers...)).

Still I think there are some, who´d like to carry a higher quality blade / saw combo than the Clipitool would probably offer. Don´t get me wrong, not that the Clipitool is bad quality, but at least when it comes to the blade(-steel) knife-enthusisiast would want something "better", I guess.

So: Stimulated by your suggestion: Maybe what would be the best product for me personally: A clipitool in a better steel (at least for the knife), featuring knife, saw and awl.. ;) (No can opener / flat head-phillips combo and firesteel: I guess that would impair the ergos of the handle and I if I needed those tools I could still bring a very light and small multitool, cause it would not have to feature saw and awl than :Leatherman Juice S2 for example)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:28 pm
Vivi wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Vivi wrote:

Thanks for your reply!

You seem to know me quite well... ;)
Rebar is my favorite multitool for the outdoors and I own one actually. Eventually I want to get the knifeless Rebar also, for when carrying a Spyderco anyway, my multitool does not have to feature a blade necessarely and the scissors the knifeless Rebar features instead of the blade come in handy when it comes to first aid or minor repair on clothes and the like
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

Hmm...most of the time if I want to saw I'd rather have a dedicated saw of some type, even at the expense of weight. Now if it could be interchangeable maybe. But that sounds expensive and small parts to lose, plus most tools or knives I've seen like that feel pretty gimmicky.
"Seven for One"
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:35 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Vivi wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Thanks for your reply!

Rebar is my favorite multitool for the outdoors and I own one actually. Eventually I want to get the knifeless Rebar also, for when carrying a Spyderco anyway, my multitool does not have to feature a blade necessarely and the scissors the knifeless Rebar features instead of the blade come in handy when it comes to first aid or minor repair on clothes and the like
Same here, I always carry my Rebar on outdoor adventures. Was a Swiss Army Knife guy for a long time, but I've come to appreciate the additional utility of a Leatherman.

I kind of went in the opposite direction as you. I got over my dislike of the tool selection compared to the Rebar and bought a Wave with a pocket clip. I figured it could cover my OHO folder and multitool roles by itself. I pair it with a smaller fixed blade most days.
:unicorn
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I agree that if one desires “one tool to do it all” then a pliers-type multitool is the answer.

Mutitools are a crowded market already. I can’t see Spyderco building a “me too” product unless they feel they can offer some clearly unique differentiation from what currently exists.

The big problem with sub-4” saws is the lack of stroke. They’re good for small work or emergencies primarily.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

A saw knife? Why? I’d probably need a saw blade 0.001% of the time. I like 2, even 3 bladed knives, but no saws for me.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:50 pm
I agree that if one desires “one tool to do it all” then a pliers-type multitool is the answer.

Mutitools are a crowded market already. I can’t see Spyderco building a “me too” product unless they feel they can offer some clearly unique differentiation from what currently exists.

The big problem with sub-4” saws is the lack of stroke. They’re good for small work or emergencies primarily.

You got it in one.

That plus the lack of use of a saw as a percentage.
Last edited by 500Nitro on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:56 pm
I like ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Can I get that in FRN, with changeable Clip location please lol
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:36 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:56 pm
I like ...
Great! They just should try and slightly improve the carryability... ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:08 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:35 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Vivi wrote:

Same here, I always carry my Rebar on outdoor adventures. Was a Swiss Army Knife guy for a long time, but I've come to appreciate the additional utility of a Leatherman.

I kind of went in the opposite direction as you. I got over my dislike of the tool selection compared to the Rebar and bought a Wave with a pocket clip. I figured it could cover my OHO folder and multitool roles by itself. I pair it with a smaller fixed blade most days.
First :Got to be honest, don´t know what "OHO" means.. ?!

/ If I´f carry solely the Wave I´d probably upgrade to the Charge - for the 154 cm bladesteel (I know, you don´t need to, cause you got the fixed blade with you); in fact, I once tried to carry a solely a Charge and no dedicated folder. Did not like it, sold the Charge. It was too bulky in my pocket (you remember our chat, I wear Jeans, so no cargo pockets). And probably I just WANT to carry a larger Spyderco all the time, so I do and pair it with a small Leatherman Juice.

Did you ever think about a makeshift-clip for the Rebar, and carry it instead the Wave? The short drivers of the wave are not for me, and it´s missing an awl. Furthermore, the Rebar would carry much better (slimmer and more streamlined). Only thing I´d miss: Scissors. Usefall not so much in the outdoors, but more in a day to day more urban scenario
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

500Nitro wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:20 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:50 pm

You got it in one.

That plus the lack of use of a saw as a percentage.
Yes, that´s true for sure, a Saw/knife combo would be quite a niche product. But than: I guess many people do not have use for their KNIFE very often in real life. And less so for a serrated one when they have a PE (or vice versa). So I think somehow even the regular Dyad (PE/SE) is a niche product, you could do most of the arising tasks with just ONE of the blades without a problem.
Someone mentioned above, that a less aggressive utility / bone saw would be of more universal use than a wood saw maybe. Could be a good idea maybe.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

A serrated edge can do all that a plain edge can do but better in some things and not so refined in others.

A serrated edge will also blunt more slowly than a plain edge.

If I was in a survival situation I’d want an SE- and a separate saw lol
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:57 am

I think he means "one-hand opening".
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:07 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:57 am

I think he means "one-hand opening".
Thanks!