POLL: Possible new double blade folder: Would you like to see another version featuring a saw?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

POLL: In a possible new double blade folder: Would you like to see another version featuring a saw?

Yes, I´d be interested in another version of a possible new Dyad (double blade folder) featuring a saw and a plain edge
24%
Yes, I´d be interested in another version of a possible new Dyad (double blade folder) featuring a saw and a serrated edge
4%
Yes, I´d be interested in another version of a possible new Dyad (double blade folder) featuring a saw and a combo edge
2%
No, I am solely interested in a possible new Dyad (double blade folder) featuring a plain edge and a serrated egde, no saw in any case or version
35%
I am interested in a double blade folder in a configuration not mentioned (maybe specify in comment)
11%
No, I am generally not interested in a double blade folder
25%

Total votes: 55

Wartstein

POLL: Possible new double blade folder: Would you like to see another version featuring a saw?

Post by Wartstein »

In a very recent thread Sal mentioned that he has been working on a new Dyad 2 design for a few years now. Most certainly this design will feature a PE and SE blade again (I guess), which is great imho.

Still, when I was younger I was more into some bushcraft-stuff and would have wished for some kind of a Dyad, but featuring something like the Spydersaw-blade (https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=51) - still would be interested nowadays

Maybe the other blade (besides the saw) could even be a comboedge in sabregrind: My reasoning for that:

- A Dyad featuring a saw would be more of a niche product for woodwork / bushcraft anyway
- The benefit of a saw in that scenario is self-explaining (EDIT: Plus: It is an underestimated emergency-tool in the outdoors. Think of sawing branches for making walking sticks, makeshift crutches, splints, shelter-building...)
- Seldom mentioned, but Spyderco-serrations work AMAZINGLY for making shavings / feathersticks
- some amount of sabregrind-PLAIN edge would be good for whittling. In my experience with my Enduras, SG bites deeper into wood than FFG, cause the primary bevel of the SG model goes higher up the blade (convexing it would even be better).

Though I know it´s more than unlikely that we´ll see a Dyad featuring a saw, I thought I´d do a quick poll, if anyone else would be interested in such a model (though my hopes are not very high.. ;)

Multiple choices possible!

To be clear: The saw-version would exist BESIDES the SE/PE-one, NOT INSTEAD!
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sumdumguy

Re: POLL: Possible new double blade folder: Would you like to see another version featuring a saw?

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'll stick with the current blade configuration, it works perfectly. Plus, if I need a saw, I have much better options on hand.

That's just me.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
blendergasket

Re: POLL: Possible new double blade folder: Would you like to see another version featuring a saw?

Post by blendergasket »

Not really a blade, but I'd love to see a folder with a little fold out brush on the back for mushroom collection.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:27 pm
I'll stick with the current blade configuration, it works perfectly. Plus, if I need a saw, I have much better options on hand.

That's just me.
Thanks for voting! You´re right, If you bring a pack anyway and minimal weight is not a concern, any folding saw will work better. Furthermore, sawing usually is a longer process than cutting something, so handle ergos are even more important. And the Ergos of a double blade folder will probably never be mindblowing simply due to limits the design presets.

BUT: If you think of a more light-and-fast (in my case-) mountaineering-scenario, things are different. For example, in a multitool I bring in the outdoors, I always want to have a saw (and, side note, an awl): A saw is an important emergency tool for me, starting from making a walking stick to makeshift crutches, splints or shelter building.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

blendergasket wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:35 pm
Not really a blade, but I'd love to see a folder with a little fold out brush on the back for mushroom collection.
Something like this? ;)
Attachments
index.jpg
index.jpg (5.14 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I voted "YES" - HOWEVER, I would like to see the saw with a little less aggressive tooth pattern than the wood saw blade you find on current offerings of knives and multi tools and folder saws. BONE SAW TOOTH to be precise - and I think the less aggressive tooth saw is more universal in what it can be used for and is more fitting to the small handle behind it. INTERCHANGEABILITY would be great!!! Aggressive saw or less aggressive saw or serrated edge or altogether a second and different blade shape or a mule blade to compare to the standard blade or (the list continues as your needs are likely different from my needs).

Shouting it out... hear me please!!!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

blendergasket wrote:

I was looking for a hawkbill Spyderco knife I can use for mushroom collecting. The Byrd Hawkbill would be perfect, but they discontinued the plain edge and it's only in serrated edge now. The all metal Byrd Crossbill doesn't interest me. And the Spyderco Tasman is more than I want to spend on a mushroom knife. Wonder if they'll ever bring the plain edge Byrd Hawkbill back...
Last edited by BornIn1500 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:53 pm
Something like this? ;)
Interesting. I've never seen a swivel one before. That one doesn't look like it really goes into the handle though unless I'm misunderstanding the picture.
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:29 pm
blendergasket wrote:

I was looking for a hawkbill Spyderco knife I can use for mushroom collecting. The Byrd Hawkbill would be perfect, but they discontinued the plain edge and it's only in serrated edge now. The all metal Byrd Crossbill doesn't interest me. And the Spyderco Tasman & Spyderhawk are more than I want to spend on a mushroom knife. Wonder if they'll ever bring the plain edge Byrd Hawkbill back...
It would be interesting to see what they could come up with for a mushroom knife, but it likely would be pricey. Might be worth it though!
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I voted yes for the saw but it has to be at least as good as the saw in the SAKs.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cycleguy wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:50 pm
I voted "YES" - HOWEVER, I would like to see the saw with a little less aggressive tooth pattern than the wood saw blade you find on current offerings of knives and multi tools and folder saws. BONE SAW TOOTH to be precise - and I think the less aggressive tooth saw is more universal in what it can be used for and is more fitting to the small handle behind it. INTERCHANGEABILITY would be great!!! Aggressive saw or less aggressive saw or serrated edge or altogether a second and different blade shape or a mule blade to compare to the standard blade or (the list continues as your needs are likely different from my needs).

Shouting it out... hear me please!!!

CG
Intriguing ideas and interesting to think about!, As you say, the list continues. One could even imagine a Dyad featuring similar shaped blades, but one in a very tough steal for "beater-tasks", one in a very hard one for more edge retention and more delicate cutting tasks.

Now some will say, for that purpose it's better to carry two knives in the first place. Sure, but the same can be said concerning PE and SE blades, and the whole point of the Dyad IS to combine two blades for different tasks in one handle.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tonijedi wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:43 pm
I voted yes for the saw but it has to be at least as good as the saw in the SAKs.
Yep, those are great when it comes to sawing wood.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Too many good small saws out there already
Including very good folding ones

Days blade not long enough for saw
To be effective

The serrated edge cuts a lot of things, probably 70% of what a saw could cut
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

500Nitro wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:08 pm
Too many good small saws out there already
Including very good folding ones

Days blade not long enough for saw
To be effective

The serrated edge cuts a lot of things, probably 70% of what a saw could cut
I fully agree that there are many good folding saws out there. But many serrated and many plain edge single blade knives also.
The whole point of a knife like the Dyad IS specifically to combine two blades in one handle for scenarios in which that might be usefull...

And I truly dought that a serrated blade can cut clean and fast through a sapling the way a good saw does..

Concerning blade size: The saws in the bigger sized SAKs can do some serious work in my experience. Enough for making fires and building emergency shelters.

No offence, just my opinion!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I most definitely want another Spyderco double-bladed folder>> but as far as the idea of putting a small saw in it instead of the usual PE & SE blade combo I'm totally against it. I used to have one of the older, original SPYDERSAWS which were made about 2002 to late 2003 I think it was. It was a great little pruning saw but it was quickly discontinued due to very poor sales from what I was told. If I want high quality garden tools or pruning equipment there is a Swiss company known as FELCO that has truly the very best gardening tools available. You can find them in A.M. Leonard's catalog or website.

On any new Spyderco double-bladed folder I strictly want one full SE blade and one full PE blade. Because I would only use the saw at very brief periods throughout the year and I already have a lot of FELCO and Corona gardening tools.

Check the Dyad II thread I just launched :) Now I have used a couple of my full Spyderedged folders doing garden work before and had great results. But I'm not going to mix my gardening tools with my main EDC pocketknives. Also I already have saws on 3 of the Multi-tools I own. Victorinox makes great multi-tools already with very high quality saws on them. To me it would be pointless for Spyderco to enter a market that is already saturated.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I am holding out for a double blade fixed knife.
vivi

Post by vivi »

How would you feel about a bushcraft focused Clipitool?

We could have a blade, saw, awl and can opener / flat head combo tool, sort of like a Victorinox Farmer.

Maybe include a lanyard with a firesteel as well?

I like your original idea, but I think it might suffer the fate of being expensive and niche. A clipitool could solve the price issue and make it more accessible to folks, while still providing a robust tool.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:23 am
How would you feel about a bushcraft focused Clipitool?

We could have a blade, saw, awl and can opener / flat head combo tool, sort of like a Victorinox Farmer.

Maybe include a lanyard with a firesteel as well?

I like your original idea, but I think it might suffer the fate of being expensive and niche. A clipitool could solve the price issue and make it more accessible to folks, while still providing a robust tool.
Thanks for your reply!

I am with you in that a high quality , thus more expensive Dyad featuring a saw would most likely be TOO niche and by far not selling well enough to be a success economically speaking

And yes, as I stated in a comment above, in a multitool for the outdoors besides a saw I always want an awl (the lack of an awl is what
´s keeping me away from leatherman wave, among other reasons (weight, too short screwdrivers...)).

Still I think there are some, who´d like to carry a higher quality blade / saw combo than the Clipitool would probably offer. Don´t get me wrong, not that the Clipitool is bad quality, but at least when it comes to the blade(-steel) knife-enthusisiast would want something "better", I guess.

So: Stimulated by your suggestion: Maybe what would be the best product for me personally: A clipitool in a better steel (at least for the knife), featuring knife, saw and awl.. ;) (No can opener / flat head-phillips combo and firesteel: I guess that would impair the ergos of the handle and I if I needed those tools I could still bring a very light and small multitool, cause it would not have to feature saw and awl than :Leatherman Juice S2 for example)
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Warstein

Unless you are spending heaps of time in the bush/outdoors, a serrated / plain dual knife is more useful
than a saw IMHO.

I carry a serrated knife and can think of 10% time I needed a saw and so pulled my foldable saw out or my
little fixed saw, both of which go through saplings like water.

And a serrated will go through a sapling as you bend it, snap it and cut the little bit that didn't break.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

500Nitro wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:58 am
Warstein

Unless you are spending heaps of time in the bush/outdoors, a serrated / plain dual knife is more useful
than a saw IMHO.

I carry a serrated knife and can think of 10% time I needed a saw and so pulled my foldable saw out or my
little fixed saw, both of which go through saplings like water.

And a serrated will go through a sapling as you bend it, snap it and cut the little bit that didn't break.

Thanks for your thoughts and the interesting discussion!

Yes, I really can´t say much against your post. A knife - / saw Dyad in fact would be a niche product for a quite special scenarios, and the serrated / plain combi more usefull in most others. Really, in regular day to day life you could cover more than 99 % of your cutting tasks perfectly by this combination, I am sure.

Still, taking myself as an example:

- When mountaineering, I always bring a knife (plain or comboedge) plus a multitool that HAS to feature a saw (and not necesseraly a serrated blade, though that would be nice for cutting cordage). As stated, that´s mostly for possible emergencies (making splints, crutches, shelters, cutting through locked wooden bars of closed mountain huts in a real emergency and so on). In THAT scenario weight and space in the pack are a real concern and I would not bring an additional folding saw. Besides, where I live, in the mountains we have those dwarf mountain pines, which are very flexible and resilient, you almost can´t snap it, but just saw through.
- When I was younger, I sometimes roamed the woods carrying no pack, but just a folder and a firesteel in my pocket and practiced fire making. Back than I really would have liked a knife-/saw- Dyad.
Just two scenarios for a Knife-/Saw Dyad. But, as said: It most likely would sell way too bad.

For "serrated going through sapling": You are right again in principle: But still I think when you aim for a real clean cut and interface (is that the word?!) - like you´d want it in a walking stick - a saw works better.