Ever met any celebrities?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Ever met any celebrities?

Post by James Y »

Strictly out of curiosity, and for a potentially interesting subject. They do NOT have to be Hollywood A-lister-type celebrities. They could be from sports, or any person you consider a celebrity, even if it's someone you think most people might not have heard about.

This could be interesting, or it could go nowhere at all... :p

Jim
MacLaren

Re: Ever met any celebrities?

Post by MacLaren »

Don Shula and Kurt Russell. Both very nice men.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

I'll play...

Andy Garcia, Christopher Lloyd, Treat Williams, William Forsythe, Jack Warden, Steve Buscemi, Fairuza Balk, Gabrielle Anwar, Christopher Walken, Scott Weiland, Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Joe Walsh, Lynda Carter, Lou Ferrigno, Zac Brown, Steven Seagal, Roy Rogers, and Dale Evans.

All of the above were very kind and down to earth but Christopher Lloyd and William Forsythe were fantastically authentic. The best though, meeting Roy Rogers and Dale Evans as a young child. They were so kind and hospitable. They opened their home and their museum to my family. Roy proved immediately that he was worthy of being my Dad's hero.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TazKristi wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:20 pm
I'll play...

Andy Garcia, Christopher Lloyd, Treat Williams, William Forsythe, Jack Warden, Steve Buscemi, Fairuza Balk, Gabrielle Anwar, Christopher Walken, Scott Weiland, Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Joe Walsh, Lynda Carter, Lou Ferrigno, Zac Brown, Steven Seagal, Roy Rogers, and Dale Evans.

All of the above were very kind and down to earth but Christopher Lloyd and William Forsythe were fantastically authentic. The best though, meeting Roy Rogers and Dale Evans as a young child. They were so kind and hospitable. They opened their home and their museum to my family. Roy proved immediately that he was worthy of being my Dad's hero.
Wow!
I would interested in Steve Buscemi.
I like that guy. Just watched the Death of Stalin. Very good.
How was he Taz?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I really love Christopher Lloyds work, I would love to meet him! :cool:

I met and chatted with Ed Schempp at the most recent seconds sale! :D It was a great opportunity to pick his brain and learn some things about knife design.

Also met, designer, Aaron Draplin after a speaking event he hosted in Boston.
As well as, rapper, Sage Francis before a concert he had performed in Rhode Island.
-Nick :bug-red
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Kristi, if I may ask, did those celebrities visit the Spyderco store or you met them aside from that? I ask because I have wondered if there are celebrities such as actors and actresses who are into knives and carry or collect Spyderco. That is neat. I like Christopher Lloyd as Doctor Emmet Brown in the Back to the Future series.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Wow! Thanks for the replies! Very interesting!

I have heard that several celebrities are into knives. Angelina Jolie, Sylvester Stallone, David Crosby, Blake Shelton, Nicholas Cage, Jonathan Winters, etc.

I've met a few celebrities, but I doubt many of them are familiar to anyone on this forum.

Mel Blanc (the original voice of Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Elmer Fudd, Porky Pig, Barney Rubble, etc., etc.). Met him at the 1976 Comic-Con. Nice man, and got his autograph.

Jack Kirby (legendary comic artist and co-creator of The Hulk, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, etc., also at '76 Comic-Con.

Steve Gerber (comics writer and co-creator of Howard the Duck).

Bill "Superfoot" Wallace (legendary former kickboxing champion, at one-week training seminar in 1982). Great guy, great fighter; a real task-master during training, and a great sense of humor.

Remy Presas (founder of the martial art modern Arnis, met him back in 1982).

While living in Taiwan in the '80s to early '90s, I met several of the actors from old-school kung fu movies:
Hsia Kuang-Li (alternate spelling:Ha Kwong-Li; kung fu actress from a Peking Opera (Beijing Opera) background).
Liu Hao-Yi (a.k.a., Hilda Liu); she was actually a senior classmate at a martial arts school I trained at there.
Chiu Chi-Ling (Kung Fu master and actor; met him in Hong Kong during a visa trip from Taiwan).
Sonny Yue (Yu Shao-Lan).
Sze-Ma Lung.
Wong Kin-Mi (played minor roles in movies with Jackie Chan, Donnie Yen, etc.).
Jian Xun (a.k.a., Kim Fan; played Shaolin monks in several Taiwanese kung fu films'of the '80s).
All of these people were very nice and down-to-earth.

Cynthia Rothrock (martial arts actress, in 1997).
Gerald Okamura (American martial arts actor).

Nikki Bella (WWE wrestler, at my workplace, several years ago).

Rita Coolidge (great recording artist, mostly of the 1970s and '80s). Met her at a book signing a few years ago. Very nice lady.

Actually, all of the above people were very nice.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I haven’t met any movie or tv celebrities, but I have met some Seahawks, Sherman, Lynch, and Russell Wilson/Ciara. I actually have been to Russell Wilson’s house to fix his air conditioning and that is when I met him and Ciara.
Josh
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah Sal & Eric Glesser I've met both at a few knife shows and I have a world of respect for both of them. The only other really nice guy I've met in the knife business was the late Chuck Buck of the well known BUCK knife company. Chuck Buck was truly like talking to one of my next door neighbors. I was really bummed when I heard of his passing because he used to go to the lot of the BLADE Show. Yeah I truly consider those guys the kind of celebrities I felt privileged meeting.

Now throughout the years I had worked for several of the pro athletes that played for the Royals baseball team and the Chiefs football team. The funny thing about those pro athletes is there was no middle ground at all. They were either really nice or they were really arrogant. It was truly one of the two every time I worked for or met one of them. Oh yes there is one more>> myself and a bunch of my friends got to meet Alice Cooper at a party really close to where I was living at the time after one of his concerts here in Kansas City. He was really nice and really funny but he was also really obviously drunk when we met him :rolleyes: I heard later that he had a horrible alcohol problem in his earlier years but I also heard that he got it under control.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

murphjd25 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:50 pm
I haven’t met any movie or tv celebrities, but I have met some Seahawks, Sherman, Lynch, and Russell Wilson/Ciara. I actually have been to Russell Wilson’s house to fix his air conditioning and that is when I met him and Ciara.
Man, Russell Wilson is awesome imo.
He spends a lot of time with children in the hospital.
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Only two, back in the day.. Andre the Giant, and Jean Belliveau.....
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Donald Sutherland came in to the stereo shop I worked in, he was an altogether regular guy! In deference to his casual attitude I treated him as such, with a quick appreciation of his craft and then moved on to chatting about audio, as if he wasn't famous.

Then there was drinks with the entire Balanescu quartet, Alexander Balanescu has a great sense of humor!

I was lucky enough to meet Brian Eno after he gave a talk at a college in Boston, he was being assaulted by desperately cool artist-types who wanted to monopolize his attention, so I expressed my admiration for his work and moved on to sample the hors d'oeuvres and free wine.

There have also been quite a few post-concert meetings with various musicians, but nothing more than a brief "thanks for a great show".
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Members of Steppenwolf, Charlie Rich, Hank Snow, Kenny Rogers, Freddy Hart, members of Alabama, Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, Johnny Weissmuller, Gus Grissom, Ed White, Neil Armstrong, Werner Von Braun, J.I. Packer, John Stott, Gordon Walker, Peter Gilchrist, Reg E Cathey, Bobby Cattage, and a lot more.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Brock Lesnar when when he was wrestling for the university of minnesota and again during a J Robinson wrestling camp.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Apart from Danny Glover, Kenneth Branagh and David Labrava (oh and Eric Glesser of course :) ) I doub't you've ever heard of my "heroes" unless you're into Irish traditional music. Met The Chieftains year before last in Finland and once had coffee and sandwiches with the Dubliners after their gig. All the great musicians have been very down to earth and kind people (and why shouldn't they be, come to think about it )
Last edited by Larry_Mott on Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

[/quote] Wow!
How was he Taz?
[/quote]

He was incredibly polite and kind. :)
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:30 pm
Kristi, if I may ask, did those celebrities visit the Spyderco store or you met them aside from that? I ask because I have wondered if there are celebrities such as actors and actresses who are into knives and carry or collect Spyderco. That is neat. I like Christopher Lloyd as Doctor Emmet Brown in the Back to the Future series.
I met many of them long before I came to Spyderco. I used to work for a prominent hotel and one of the perks of my position there was having the opportunity to meet many of the celebrities who would stay with us. Most were long term stays during filming so I was able to interact with them on a day to day basis. Christopher Lloyd is just a hoot. He's everything you think he'd be and more because he's just genuinely a nice person who tries to live a pretty normal life. He had a very interesting way of taking a day off when he needed it - by not telling anyone on the crew and he never forgot to share thanks for anyone who helped him.

In my experience, most (certainly not all) celebrities are just normal people with extraordinary jobs. It's really fascinating to see how much they appreciate being treated with kindness and respect - just like anyone else.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
James Y

Post by James Y »

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:10 am
Wow!
How was he Taz?
[/quote]

He was incredibly polite and kind. :)
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:30 pm
I met many of them long before I came to Spyderco. I used to work for a prominent hotel and one of the perks of my position there was having the opportunity to meet many of the celebrities who would stay with us. Most were long term stays during filming so I was able to interact with them on a day to day basis. Christopher Lloyd is just a hoot. He's everything you think he'd be and more because he's just genuinely a nice person who tries to live a pretty normal life. He had a very interesting way of taking a day off when he needed it - by not telling anyone on the crew and he never forgot to share thanks for anyone who helped him.

In my experience, most (certainly not all) celebrities are just normal people with extraordinary jobs. It's really fascinating to see how much they appreciate being treated with kindness and respect - just like anyone else.
[/quote]

TazKristi:

Thanks! I do agree that celebs are just normal people. I also think it's best, if one is lucky enough to encounter one, to just act normal around them. With the exception of things like organized fan greets, it's better to treat them like anyone else and not to gush over them, as I'm sure that gets old very quickly. Giving the same respect and courtesy as you would anyone else is always appreciated. I've met celebrities (or those who were celebrities to me, at least) who were far more down-to-earth than a lot of non-celebrity people I meet on a daily basis. Yes, there are arrogant, self-important celebrities to be sure, but many non-celebs are that way, too.

A friend of mine once told me that he met James Woods at a sauna in a resort somewhere (upper northwest?), and they were the only ones in the room. He said they ended up having a long, pleasant conversation about various topics, and when it came time for my friend to leave, James Woods told him, "Thank you." My friend thanked him as well. Nothing was ever said about, "Hey! You're the actor James Woods!" Although my friend obviously recognized him, he never even thought to bring up who he was, what he'd seen him in, or anything else Hollywood-related.

Jim
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thanx Kristi!
That's really very interesting.
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Yes, day in, day out. But as Frank Sinatra told me (true story, decades ago during a Vegas gig in a previous life) "Kid, don't ever be a name dropper." The irony is sweeeet in that comment. ;-)

Steve Buscemi's wife just passed away; prayers and thoughts to family and loved ones.

and for a Spyderco tie-in, here's some home video with Steve visiting William S. Burroughs in '96. Go to 6:51 for Bill using a Spyderco Police (IIRC). "Beautiful. Useful," sez he.
(also Patti Smith, Allen Ginsberg, et al)

https://youtu.be/Il3317LLbwY
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

In no way do I want to de-rail this most interesting thread. But there is one person, actually I would even love to sit down and talk to him and his lovely wife and I'm speaking about ex USA President Jimmy Carter. OK I know a lot of you already are booing and jeering me for mentioning his name.

But for so many reasons I would love to sit down and talk to President and Mrs Carter. I feel like he really got a horrible bum rap as President for one thing. I felt like the deep state establishment was fervently against him from day one of his Presidency. Now with every thing I know and what I've learned in the aftermath I feel like history may be kind to Jimmy Carter in the long haul. Also when you factor in the Camp David Accord he really did some good things that the media intentionally overlooked IMO.

First and foremost he's been by far the best ex-President we've ever had. With all of his selfless and generous help he's given to great causes just can't be overlooked. Not to mention risking himself by helping third world countries with his hands-on help. That is one celebrity I would like to meet more than any other out there.