eBay selling

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

eBay selling

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I am very uncertain this is allowed and if I have erred please accept my apology and delete.

After collecting 43 Spyderco Knives my safety deposit box is filling up and I feel the need to sell some to buy new designs. Hello Tropin you are pulling me in.... Drat!!!!

My question is which is best on eBay Buy it now or auction listings?

Help appreciated hate to give knives away but need to sell to buy others. Thank you.
Sumdumguy

Re: eBay selling

Post by Sumdumguy »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:55 pm
I am very uncertain this is allowed and if I have erred please accept my apology and delete.

After collecting 43 Spyderco Knives my safety deposit box is filling up and I feel the need to sell some to buy new designs. Hello Tropin you are pulling me in.... Drat!!!!

Help appreciated hate to give knives away but need to sell to buy others. Thank you.
Ebay fees are insane, I prefer Bladeforums. I do buy from Ebay, but I will never sell there again.

Good luck.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:04 pm

Ebay fees are insane, I prefer Bladeforums. I do buy from Ebay, but I will never sell there again.

Good luck.

Don't you have to buy a membership to sell there though?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:04 pm

Good luck.

Don't you have to buy a membership to sell there though?
$30 per year vs. $30 or more per knife.

Big difference.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Depending on the knife-
I personally put what I want out of it inc shipping +15% to cover ebay fees and just list what I want out of it on the local knife forum.
Some odd sprints sell for big dollars on eBay so I list it for what I paid + fees and if I only get the one bid then great.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

$30 a knife on Ebay, you'd have to sell a knife for around $300 to get that fee. Ebay isn't THAT bad.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

But which is best Auction or buy it now with make an offer?

Looking for answers from both buyers and sellers please.

And yes I heard about Kife Forums loud and clear thank you. Not trying to make a killing just recoup and reinvest without loosing too much and feeling like too much of a jerk. Money always goes towards new spydercos, just narrowing things down and trying new designs and steels.

What can I say a Spyderco Junkie through and through. :)
allhatnocattle

Post by allhatnocattle »

As a buyer and a seller I much prefer the buy it now or best offer options. That way if I want it I can buy it, if i want to sell it someone else can buy it without waiting days and days for an auction to end (possibly below your purchase price). I find that there are too many services available to manipulate auctions. Esnipe,auction raptor,etc. id rather just buy what i want and be done with the bid war.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:02 pm
But which is best Auction or buy it now with make an offer?

Looking for answers from both buyers and sellers please.

And yes I heard about Kife Forums loud and clear thank you. Not trying to make a killing just recoup and reinvest without loosing too much and feeling like too much of a jerk. Money always goes towards new spydercos, just narrowing things down and trying new designs and steels.

What can I say a Spyderco Junkie through and through. :)

Lately I've sold a few by auction, starting at 0.99$. Starting out low like that guarantees that it will sell; the catch is that it might not go for what you want. It helps a lot if the knife in question is highly sought after or desirable. For example you'd probably be pretty safe starting a REX 45 Para 3 at $0.99. A plain Jane VG-10 Delica might be a different story.

I'd do Buy It Now if the knife was expensive, or if I wanted to guarantee I'd get a certain amount out of it. Or simply start an auction at your minimum acceptable price.

But for generating interest you can't beat a $0.99 auction.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I list by auction with the starting bid the absolute lowest I would take for the knife. That way all I need is one bid to get what I may settle for on make an offer with potential to make bank. For instance I've listed knives for a $300 starting bid that ended up selling for nearly $450. After fees I still got back over 90% of what I had into it.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Nate

Post by Nate »

As a buyer I always look at the lowest priced buy it now listings first. Generally only bid on auctions when I think there's a chance I'll end up with a deal, which has happened a couple of times.
:spyder:
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

eBay charges 10% of your main fee, and doesn't touch the shipping. So, whereas a normal person would see a used pm2 for $50 plus $25 shipping and think "some thing's fishy about this....", an experienced eBayer will know the seller is making up for the eBay fees.

^^^But the thing is, you don't want to be scaring normal people away from your sale page (you don't want your potential customers to be limited to experienced eBayers).

As far as what style of selling, it all depends on what you want for the knife. If it's a common model, you may he taking a risk in an auction. A slightly used, excellent condition pm2 may not sell for over $70, you just never know. Now, if you had a Rex45 Millie and sold it today, I guarantee you could do an auction starting at one penny and it would end above $200. If you're not in a hurry to sell, you could put that same Rex45 Millie for sale as a buy it now for $200 (which after fees would be $180, getting your money back plus shipping) or more, and just wait. Of course, your conscience may not be as clean putting it up for sale at the going rate of $250 or whatever it is, but no one is forcing anyone to buy from you. If you don't mind waiting (and potentially not selling it, depending on the model and your competition), put a higher price on it and leave it. It only takes one person to see the price as worth it. But generally, auctions end fairly well. I've never felt disappointed in the ending sale price when I've done auctions for spydies.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Thanks Everyone this is helpful.
grumpy514

Post by grumpy514 »

Nothing beats hitting a button a winning a potential knife you've been dying to get. People spend stupid money when it's a bidding war, usually far more than they planned. Forums are flat charges and no bidding.

In short. If you want a quick and honest sale, go to the forums. If you want to make the most out of a unique knife and get more than it may be normally worth, go to Ebay. At the end of the day I'm about my money, this is how I fund my hobby. Any rare or desired knives almost always go on Ebay, I'll always get more than what a forum member will be willing to pay and that's just fine with me in the free market world we live in which many things are run by supply & demand.

Ill be brutally honest. Sure you can play ghandi and bless somebody by selling it at MSRP or slightly above or you can pull the wool over somebodies eyes and hit them below the belt for a sizeable profit. If somebody is willing to pay the premium is it really ripping them off after all?

Be smart. Calculate your fees. Calculate your shipping with insurance. Do research for trading prices on forums and how frequent they appear/how quick they sell and go from there. Nothings hidden, all fees are out there. Just have to crunch some numbers and see what the best option may be. Be very wary of people with little or no feedback, international sales are usually PayPal friends & family payment only. Many times a knife can get confiscated and you're the loser stuck with his pants down, insurance or not.
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

Just because I haven't seen it mentioned, another option is knife_swap on Reddit for selling knives.

Spyderco's usually go very quickly over there.
vivi

Post by vivi »

You could always post on www.reddit.com/r/knife_swap

No membership, no fees aside from paypal, better layout than bladeforums.
:unicorn
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:05 am
You could always post on www.reddit.com/r/knife_swap

No membership, no fees aside from paypal, better layout than bladeforums.
Someone here recommended this to me also. It has been a great option. I 100% recommend signing up for reddit and trying this. The people are very nice, the process is very easy, and very quick. And no fees at all. I still use eBay sometimes to sell, but my go to is the Reddit knife swap sub forum now. (You'll need an imgur account aslo, for posting pictures). Definitely give this a shot

Also, as far as eBay goes, the buy it now is the best IMHO. List it for the price you want, and lower it gradually if it's not selling in the time frame you want. As a buyer, it's nice to get an item now, and not wait days for an auction to end. Usually by that time I've found it elsewhere. And as a seller I don't like the possibility of getting less than I wanted. And if I'm gonna list an auction for what I wanted for it anyway, why not just use the buy it now?

Dave

P.s. Another member mentioned that eBay doesn't touch your shipping charge... That's not true. EBay takes a percentage of the total you get paid, shipping included (otherwise people would charge .99¢ for an item and $200 for shipping, then eBay would be boned). Look it up, they charge different amounts for the style of listing you decide on also, and the category of the item your selling. 12% for buy it now on the category that knives are in, 9 or 10 for an auction maybe. Check this website out.
https://www.dummies.com/business/online ... l-on-ebay/
It explains it well
He says that you would have to be a rocket scientist to figure out what eBay takes for a fixed price listing. And it's not far off. But I've learned that if I budget for 15% fees between eBay and PayPal, I'm right about on target, then shipping after that. I'm taking home around 80-83% after it's all done.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

There are like 4-5 facebook groups that b/s/t knives. I've had a lot of success on there. Before that, it was always ebay. Let me know if you need help finding them, as they are sort of anonymous bc of facebooks dumb anti weapon rules.
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

I prefer buy it now as I like to actually know what I'm getting. I also sell on bladeforums and for $30 its a small investment that you easily make back if you sell a couple knives just because you don't have the ebay fees. Recently I have been selling on reddit as well. I like this a lot and best part is no fees. I'm impatient so I usually post on all three and then cancel the listing of the other two once the knife sells.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Thanks everyone so much.

Deleted the list of things being sold.
Last edited by Doeswhateveraspidercan on Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.