Dyad II or New Concept Double Blade Folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
500Nitro

Re: Dyad II or New Concept Double Blade Folder?

Post by 500Nitro »

sal wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:30 pm
500Nitro wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:24 pm
Those two posts sure show how long a timeframe it takes to get to market and costs involved.
That's why it's so much more profitable to just copy a design once it's perfected. "It is a wise man that copies a successful man so that he too can be successful".

sal

It pisses me off no end. And I think a lot of things are NOT made because of it.

More so now than before.

I know the Chinese copied a high end golf driver released in the US and had the copy for sale in the US within a week (7 days). It pissed off the company no end.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
archangel

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:21 pm
archangel wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:36 pm
FRN tooling is expensive, and G10 is expensive. So now are they both out of the race?

LC200N yessss....
FRN Tooling is expensive, but once we know there is demand, but the per part cost is much less. The last proto is G-10 with nested liners/locks. Now that I think I've got the basic design nailed down, I've got to figure out where to make it and what materials to use. Price is a big issue, as you may have seen some of the recent threads on our pricing. I still have to make another proto with 2 changes.

If we can't get it viable price-wise, then it goes into the "What might have been" box.

The Shaman ended up costing much more to make than anticipated and it was still difficult, so we're back to planning.

Sal, Sir, much appreciated post. Thank you.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for LC200N and G10. Others that would really like that combo are invited to chime in, to give Sal confidence that this is requested by many.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
araneae

Post by araneae »

Attaching a lanyard to a wire clip works, no holes required.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
harronek

Post by harronek »

The Dyad is a conundrum.
The first Spyderco I ever bought was a Grey Dyad Sprint .
It was to big to heavy and its ergonomics were horrible , I soon sold it and Im just happy I persisted with he Spyderco brand because everything else I have purchased has been perfect .
Then a year or two ago I cam across an old Small FRN Dyad for a cheap price . I bought it for no real reason and it has vaguely changed my mind on the design .
I think the small size is where its best utilised, the ergonomics dont really lend themselves to any prolonged or intensive use , but if you use the smaller version like you would a small multi bladed Traditional knife ( opening a bag , cutting a thread etc ) then it works well for small quick jobs that take no longer than a second or two .
Its light and disappears into your pocket ( personally I would prefer to have a pocket clip but its not the end of the world )
So if there is to be a new version my opinion is that bigger is not better , keep it light and unobtrusive like a old fashioned Traditional knife . Traditionals dont tend to be big and over heavy for a reason .

Ken
archangel

Post by archangel »

Has anyone ever noticed that the scales look like a Batman logo on this one? :eek: I've seen pictures of the Dyad before, never realized this.

Wish I could travel into the future, see this project carried out for real. :) Oh, and spot the steel marking & scales material. ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:26 am
Hi JD,

Making a folding lanyard does add problems to this design. Current thought is to test a lanyard hole as an extension out of the clip.

sal
Mr. Glesser I just had an idea and maybe you've thought about it already. Why not try to engineer a lanyard hole somewhere in the center part of the Dyad II folder? That would be maybe a bit awkward but it would sure beat having your valued folder fall overboard. Or is that even possible with the overall design criteria? Or maybe have some type of a sliding clip that can be implemented with a locking mechanism so it doesn't interfere in normal operation?

Now if it's just totally impractical or impossible then I guess we'll just have to live with it the way it is.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

If it is a compression lock with typical pillar construction you'd be able to tie a small cord around one of the standoffs easily enough.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JD,

There are few places we're working on. I would like 5mm. Or you can do as Yab suggested. The last proto is in R&D for a new drawing with a 5mm lanyard hole.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:54 pm
If it is a compression lock with typical pillar construction you'd be able to tie a small cord around one of the standoffs easily enough.
This.

Tie it around a standoff and go. Everyone's happy.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
sal

Post by sal »

The stand offs are different on this model and the edges are too close to the stand off to tie a line without it being cut.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I know the following would be more of a niche product, but I personally would really like to see a version of the Dyad featuring a saw. Maybe the other blade a combo-edge in sabre grind.
Would be great for woodwork / bushcraft-stuff: Benefit of the saw is obvious, Spyderco-serrations do amazingly well in producing shavings / feathersticks and in my experience the Spyderco sabregrinds are good for whittling since the primary grind goes higher up the blade.

Sal, may I ask: Is there any chance that something like the blade of the Spydersaw will be implemented in a double blade Spyderco?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Double compression lock?? ... that makes this something I'll take to work!. As much as I adore good lock backs, dealing with mud, sand and dirt is a lot easier with open frame designs.

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
araneae

Post by araneae »

This is my solution, no lanyard hole needed.
Attachments
xlhX4FpI-282242400.jpg
Last edited by araneae on Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

sal wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:08 pm
The stand offs are different on this model and the edges are too close to the stand off to tie a line without it being cut.

sal
Well, phooey!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
RLR

Post by RLR »

Go old school and put a bail on it. That could go with the style too.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

sal wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:08 pm

sal
The edge would have to be hitting the stand off to cut 80# SpiderWire fishing line, which is what I would use. Assuming of course that I bought one and moved to someplace with water.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

araneae wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:27 pm
This is my solution, no lanyard hole needed.
Yeah I just had a "DUH!!" moment :o :rolleyes: Yeah why couldn't you also use a Spyderco pocketclip as a lanyard hole? But now I would add this to "araneae's" great suggestion>> I would want a type of pocket clip that wouldn't be prone to cutting the lanyard cord. I think that's probably why I dismissed it a while back>> but the more I'm thinking about it the more it makes perfect sense for the design of the Dyad or Dyad II as in this case.

I wish that more of you newer members would have got to see the pocketclip that they used on the older GUNTING model because that would be a perfect pocketclip to also use as a device to secure your lanyard. Yeah that's probably the ultimate solution ;)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JD,

We extended the clip at the base to be able to handle a 5mm lanyard.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:17 pm
Hi JD,

We extended the clip at the base to be able to handle a 5mm lanyard.

sal
Great News!! I'm very much looking forward to the completion of the new Dyad II model :) I've always loved the Dyad and I especially love the full sized C-44 model with the larger blades. I also think it would be a great model to try one of the newer/better blade steels with>> hint, hint :D
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

I'm looking forward to this, been kicking around tracking one down for awhile (currently carry a serrated dfly as a secondary if I'm expecting that kind of work). I'm trying to envision the double compression lock or how to make a good grip and now I'm curious how close what I'm imagining is to the actual thing.
"Seven for One"