Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

First, look at the pictures for yourself:

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP223S ... military-3

Now, think this over, friends. Look at those beautiful grind lines, and the shape, and the smoothly-designed grips. Wow. This is the Spyderco knife I have been wanting for years and could not put my finger on it. Ever since I first saw images of the Military and Para Military, I have thought "If they would make it with a glass reinforced nylon handle, it would be perfect. With all due respect to the G10 models, ofcourse.

Now for the question of questions: Will this replace the Delica for those who purchase and use the Spyderco Delica models, or, not?

If yes, what are the main reasons why?

If no, what are the main reasons why not?
Pelagic

Re: Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Post by Pelagic »

Too many people love the delica for its geometry, ergos, and price. It's also just too iconic. The delica is going nowhere.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
SpyderEdgeForever

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:37 am
Too many people love the delica for its geometry, ergos, and price. It's also just too iconic. The delica is going nowhere.
I was hoping someone would say that. I want to see both of them stick around.

Now I am on the edge of my seat awaiting a Military with FRN grips. Do you think we will see this within our life time?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

For me, the Delica carries better in the pocket and also cuts circles around the Para3. Maybe it is just me but those are the two things my knives do the most of. :)

The Para3 will on the other hand get you a ticket to ride on the hype train with all the cool kids. :D

All jokes aside, they both have there pros and cons. The Para3 is likely more fun to fondle for those who value that and it is also made in the US which is great and many folks, including myself, value that.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I think the Delica is a mainstay. Especially with the variety of options it comes with. But the standard version, I can definitely see it taking a hit with sales.

I'd love for Sal to chime in, in regards to Delica sales after the Chaparral LW was released, if the sales trended down?

Now this Para 3 being released for under $20 more with quite a few upgrades over the Delica. It's got to be a bit worrisome for the ole icon.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Not everybody likes compression locks.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If anything it is the Native5LW that stands to go head to head with the Para3LW. I prefer the Native5 G10 over the Para3 G10 myself. I look forward to comparing the frn versions.

The ChapLW seems to be the main competitor to the Delica.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Para 3 feels weird in my hand, doesn't cut like a Delica, and I prefer back locks.

Also, I have 7 Delicas.
I think the Chaparall is the main competitor against the Delica.
I wonder if the para 3 may impact sales of the Native 5. Native 5 has better ergos though.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:44 am
If anything it is the Native5LW that stands to go head to head with the Para3LW. I prefer the Native5 G10 over the Para3 G10 myself. I look forward to comparing the frn versions.

The ChapLW seems to be the main competitor to the Delica.
You posted that right as I posted mine!
We're synced.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

To me the lw para 3 would compete more with the lw native 5. They share more similarities IMO than the para 3 lw and Delica 4. Currently the Delica 4 is $78 the para 3 lw is $91 and the native 5 lw is $98.50 just for reference.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderEdgeForever

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:08 am
To me the lw para 3 would compete more with the lw native 5. They share more similarities IMO than the para 3 lw and Delica 4. Currently the Delica 4 is $78 the para 3 lw is $91 and the native 5 lw is $98.50 just for reference.
This is a very good observation, as are the others.

Then here is my next question: If a Para3 Salt, with Lc200N stainless was released, would that definitely compete with the Native Salt?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

At first glance I felt like the OP. But after thinking about it: No. Quite different knifes.

First and foremost: Bladestock. 3.7 (Para) vs 2.5 (Delica) is a huge difference, clearly the Delica will be a better slicer..
Handle: The Delica is a knife that is very ergonomic in a regular grip (all fingers on the actual handle) while you CAN choke up on the Ricasso. The Para 3, at least with bigger hands, works better choked up.
Lastly: No liners vs liners (though my FRN Native clearly shows that linerless FRN can be very solid).
Since I like the even thinner blade stock on the Chap, I guess between 2 knifes that small the Delica would be my choice over the Para 3 lw
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

I would guess for those, such as myself, that don’t necessarily like backlocks, the Para 3 could be viewed as a better outlet, and those that don’t necessarily like compression locks would stick right where they are...with the Native 5 LW or the Delica 4 LW.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:39 am
Now I am on the edge of my seat awaiting a Military with FRN grips. Do you think we will see this within our life time?
If they made this with an ambidextrous clip I would be so happy.

I hope they do the whole series in FRN and use it as a sprint platform. This would really lower the cost of getting awesome knife steels.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The Para 3 blade is 60% thicker than the Delica. If you use knives to actually cut things then you know these two share no more than a passing similarity.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:32 pm
The Para 3 blade is 60% thicker than the Delica. If you use knives to actually cut things then you know these two share no more than a passing similarity.
Definitely no denying the slicing abilities of the Delica over the Para 3!

For me, I typically wear gloves when cutting and using my knives and the Para 3 is just slightly more comfortable for me. Plus I prefer the finger choil for more controlled cuts as well.

I have to agree with the majority here though, comparing the Para 3 and Native, rather than Para 3 and Delica. Much more similarities between those two.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Is apples going to replace oranges?
No, the Para 3 won't make any difference in this regard i am sure :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:44 am
Not everybody likes compression locks.
Got it in one.

And that's before all the other good responses like post No 2.

Pelagic
"love the delica for its geometry, ergos, and price. "

I've been using an Endura for 27 years, I might by a compression lock but
I d don't have to think or look at the knife when I want to close it.
I would have to if it was a compression lock.
Last edited by 500Nitro on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I don't think they're very similar. Nor do I think the Para 3 Lightweight is all that similar to the Native 5 Lightweight. Lots of great options for knife enthusiasts. I plan to make the New Para 3 my first of that model line. I am also the proud owner of the Delica 4 and Native 5 Salt.
Last edited by ABX2011 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:41 pm
zhyla wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:32 pm
I have to agree with the majority here though, comparing the Para 3 and Native, rather than Para 3 and Delica. Much more similarities between those two.
I think so too. And of THOSE two (Para 3 LW / Native 5 LW) I´d prefer the Para 3 I guess. If only for the slightly more actual edge it offers.
EDIT: No, I´d prefer the Para not over the Native. Didn´t think of the Comp. lock for a moment, and I am more of a back lock guy.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)