So someone saw my pocket clip and -- "You carry a knife!"...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Crux

Re: So someone saw my pocket clip and -- "You carry a knife!"...

Post by Crux »

I used to keep a pistol in my desk drawer at work.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I think carrying a knife is kind of how wearing a watch is these days. Most people don't even notice, only the ones that like them.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Michael Janich wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:06 am
Thank you for sharing this. It's always great to hear about my MBCers representing our Family well!

BTW, for Chicago-area folk, both Team Spartan and Forteza Fitness are offering MBC training with some of my certified instructors. If you're looking to get involved, the resources are there.

Thanks again!

Stay safe,

Mike
No problem. If you ever offer training classes in San Diego give it a shout out here on the forum. I know there's a few San Diego Spyders here. I tried to meet up with one of your instructors in Oceanside a year ago, but we couldn't get our schedules to mesh and it would have been a bit of a drive for me to go out there regularly.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Caustic Dick

Post by Caustic Dick »

cabfrank wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:31 pm
I think carrying a knife is kind of how wearing a watch is these days. Most people don't even notice, only the ones that like them.
Agreed.
Don't get bit by your Spyderco........
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

FK wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:40 am
Vivi,

I have told the story in the past, prior to retirement, I was a senior corp V.P.
While at the copy machine, it ran out of paper, I used my Delica to remove the wrapper. Our new female accountant was nearby and exclaimed loudly about my "weapon". She ran down to the president's office and complained.
Well he called me in and smiled,, opened his center desk drawer and showed off two new engraved custom pocket knives.
He requested I keep the Delica inside my pocket, not clipped, and we had a pleasant discussion on knives.

Regards,
FK
Laughing to hard for polite language!! Bravo!!! Helps my boss carries a Spyderco!!! Autonomy
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Michael Janich wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:06 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:43 pm
I've shared a few negative knife stories here on the forum, so I'll share a positive one.

At my job we regularly get clients that are Military and LEO. A few months ago, I noticed two of our clients were carring pocket knives, and one of them had an all black patch on his bag that I recognized as Michael Janich's MBC logo. Naturally I had to ask about the patch and ask them what they were carrying. They were both carrying Zero Tolerance folders, and the guy with MBC patch said he had recently attended an MBC training camp with Mr. Janich (I was jealous). We talked a little bit about the Yojimbo, and about Spyderco which he didn't know much about. He then asked what I was carrying, at which point I showed him my Shaman and let him play around with it (I don't usually hand my knife to strangers but an MBC patch is good street cred). I could see the knife envy :D He said he really liked it. I think I may have made a spydie convert.
Thank you for sharing this. It's always great to hear about my MBCers representing our Family well!

BTW, for Chicago-area folk, both Team Spartan and Forteza Fitness are offering MBC training with some of my certified instructors. If you're looking to get involved, the resources are there.

Thanks again!

Stay safe,

Mike

I dare to ask Mr. Janich ... do you still carry a wharncliffe Delica ? Is it plain edge ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Doeswhateveraspidercan

There is a story that floats around my office. It is about an old timer. He asks a new hire let me use your knife left mine at home!

The new hire replies What Knife??

The old timer looses it declaring what the **** kind of man don’t carry a knife????!!

Granted my company has been in business since 1911 on paper and longer than that in reality. Good old original Florida where men were men and Gators well they ran like crazy!!!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The one time some stranger noticed my knife was in an Apple store. I had gone in to buy a watchband and the employee helping me said, “Is that the M390 Paramilitary 2 in your pocket?”

“Why yes it is!” I replied. “Good eye.” Turns out he was a massive enthusiast who proceeded to show me photos of his top custom folders. It was great!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Caustic Dick wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:36 pm
cabfrank wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:31 pm
Agreed.
Excellent and accurate statement! So true. Never thought of it that way.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:16 pm
The one time some stranger noticed my knife was in an Apple store. I had gone in to buy a watchband and the employee helping me said, “Is that the M390 Paramilitary 2 in your pocket?”

“Why yes it is!” I replied. “Good eye.” Turns out he was a massive enthusiast who proceeded to show me photos of his top custom folders. It was great!
I've never been in an apple store, but I've struck up a few conversations with people when I noticed their spyderco knives. It's always great. They usually don't know anything about the knife though, what it's made of, or how to sharpen knives at all. But it still makes for a decent conversation.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I was having breakfast in a restaurant and showing my friend the Spyderco I was carrying. A fellow at the next table got excited and leaned over and talked knives with us for a bit. I have yet to have an unpleasant encounter involving a knife I was carrying.

The University where I work allows pocket knives but not weapons. I tried to get this clarified once, but it was more trouble than it was worth and I started getting the feeling that I was going to end up on "a list" if I pursued the issue, so I dropped it. I later found there is a 4 inch guideline, but it seems to be at the discretion of the officer -- more about how you are acting than what you are carrying in the way they currently deal with it; whether there is an official length or not. They aren't running around with a ruler and looking for knife clips at any rate.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

LEO has far more important concerns and you are right behavior is the factor that gets one noticed.

I have dated female Police Officers and even Female Judges they are all pretty cool and neat people. The ones I have been blessed to know were all really reasonable about tools and potential weapons and it all boils down to common sense and the things we were taught in Kindergarten.

Play nice

Be kind

Be respectful and share your toys.

Why do Adults complicate things ? :)

I only wish I had classmates to sharpen with and compare my Spydercos with in my neighborhood. :)
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:08 pm
I dare to ask Mr. Janich ... do you still carry a wharncliffe Delica ? Is it plain edge ?
Yes, my back pocket knife is a Wharncliffe Delica, but SpyderEdge. It's reserved primarily for utility use, while two Yojimbo 2s are for other purposes. I opted for the serrated edge for rope, zip ties, and seat belts. Defensively, however, the FFG and SpyderEdge do very well together...

Stay safe,

Mike
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:15 am
elena86 wrote:
Yes, my back pocket knife is a Wharncliffe Delica, but SpyderEdge. It's reserved primarily for utility use, while two Yojimbo 2s are for other purposes. I opted for the serrated edge for rope, zip ties, and seat belts. Defensively, however, the FFG and SpyderEdge do very well together...

Stay safe,

Mike
Thanks for the feedback. Would you say the wharnie Delica in spyderedge is good for defense purposes ? Some say the spyderedge grab into material but from my mundane experience it's a terrific slasher .... my self defense "concept" is to "slash and run" so to speak :) ( I hope I will never need to apply my "concept" but I live in a country where we civilians can't carry fire arms for self defense). If you advice for plain edge I will pair my serrated wharnie Delica with a moded plain edge wharnie Delica a la Kahr Arms one... Thanks again, I admire and value you and your expertise alot sir ! I apologize for the off topic !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:19 am
Thanks for the feedback. Would you say the wharnie Delica in spyderedge is good for defense purposes ? Some say the spyderedge grab into material but from my mundane experience it's a terrific slasher .... my self defense "concept" is to "slash and run" so to speak :) ( I hope I will never need to apply my "concept" but I live in a country where we civilians can't carry fire arms for self defense). If you advice for plain edge I will pair my serrated wharnie Delica with a moded plain edge wharnie Delica a la Kahr Arms one... Thanks again, I admire and value you and your expertise alot sir ! I apologize for the off topic !
Dear Elena86:

Serrations can "grab" loose clothing and cause it to move, greatly reducing the effectiveness of the cut. Serrations are not all created equal. The serration pattern matters a lot, as does the type of blade bevel and thickness of the blade at the base of the serrations. The Wharnie Delica is full-flat ground, so it has very thin edge geometry at the base of the serrations. That allows it to cut cleaner and more efficiently than a saber-ground Delica.

Custom knifemaker Mickey Yurco has modded some Wharnie Delicas to shorten them to 2.5-inch blades. I have done the same. For areas with strict blade-length laws--like Chicago and Boston--they are a great choice, packing serious cutting power into a very small, legally permissible blade.

Thank you for your question and your kind words.

Stay safe,

Mike
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:19 am
Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:15 am
elena86 wrote:

Stay safe,

Mike
Keep in mind that Mr. Janich has done EXTENSIVE physical testing on clothed nonhuman dead meat targets to reach his conclusions.
Crux

Post by Crux »

elena86 wrote:
I hope I will never need to apply my "concept" but I live in a country where we civilians can't carry fire arms for self defense.
You should move.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: