What do you consider the most practical EDC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What's the most practical EDC setup in your eyes?

One folding knife (Locking -or- slipjoints)
31%
Two folding knives
10%
Three folding knives
5%
Folder + fixed blade
1%
Folder + multitool
38%
Folder + fixed blade + multitool
3%
One fixed blade
No votes
Fixed blade + multitool
2%
One multitool
5%
OTHER (Explain in comments)
6%

Total votes: 88

vivi

What do you consider the most practical EDC?

Post by vivi »

On a typical day during average weather, what do you consider the most practical knife setup for your every day carry?
:unicorn
Sjucaveman

Re: What do you consider the most practical EDC?

Post by Sjucaveman »

Other 3 folders and a multitool. Large plain edge, pacific salt, mcbee and gerber center drive.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

A folder and a SAK-
elena86

Post by elena86 »

A folder and Victorinox Camper
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Voted for "folder +(small) multitool"; That´s what I carry when not at home on a regular working day; Since that´s the topic of this thread I am talking about the practical side of things (and not about that I´d always carry a Spyderco anyway, even if I would almost never need it... ;)

The folder is most times the Stretch 1 or Endura, I use it for almost any cutting- or knife- task (since I am a lot on the road by car or bycicle when working, I use it quite a bit for minor foodprep when having lunch on the road); I carry it in my right front pocket

Normally in the coin pocket of my Jeans (when working I almost exclusivly wear jeans) is my leatherman Juice S2, it fits there perfectly even additional to the folder I carry also on the right.
The Juice I carry mainly for it´s scissors,the bottle-/can opener - thingi I use quite frequently for scraping / poking / whatever tasks.
The actual BLADE of the juice is quite ok (sidestep: If anyone is interested in a leatherman Juice, try to get the OLDER, discontinued models! (You can recognize them by having the same color on both sides of the handle, not one silver, one colored like the new ones do) - they feature a better, longer blade that offers some belly; the current edition does not); hollow ground, very sharp, would be not bad for smaller tasks; theoretically I often think I could use it to safe the edge of my main EDC knife, but in reality I never do...
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I voted "Folder + multi-tool" although I often carry two folders with my Leatherman Wave.

For my everyday carry, I always have the Leatherman, most times I have my Pacific Salt SE clipped IWB, and always a plain edge folder clipped in RFP (these days, the PE is usually either my Native, Military, or Police folder.)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Folder plus multitool is the most practical. But I just carry 2 folders. One with great edge retention, one with great toughness. I like doing this (carrying 2 knives of different extremes) over carrying one "jack of all trades" knife.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i voted one multitool because you asked for practical and both of my multitools have both plain and serrated blades as well as all the other tools you could need for quick, minor fixes. however, my multitool rides in my backpack along with an slightly expanded tool kit and i usually have 2-3 knives on my person. i don't consider carrying a manix, yojimbo, and native or pacific salt all at the same time to be a practical choice, but i do it because i like each of them and options are fun. :)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

I voted "Folder + Multi-tool" although I carry "two folders + multi-tool".

Usually : Spyderco + SAK + SwissTool Spirit X (Leatherman Rebar).
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I don't know if it's the most practical, but it's what I generally carry. One folder, one small fixed blade (neck knife), and a Leatherman Style PS multi tool (for the pliers and scissors).
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Folder & a Multi-tool. Attached is an older pic of my daily EDC. Delica for cutting, Leatherman Style PS for other stuff. I've since added a Griffin pocket tool in brass for minor prying and use as a O2 wrench.
PMEDC (Medium).jpg
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Folder & multitool here. Today, a Shaman and a SAK MiniChamp II.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Most practical setup for me? Just one folder.
I have no need to carry around a multitool on a regular basis and I really only carry more than one knife because I want to not because I need to.

Practically speaking, a Lil Native could get me by but its more fun to have a collection. :)
-Nick :bug-red
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

One Folder + Other.

I used to carry a small SAK or Leatherman along with a PM2, but I only ever used the tweezers and nail file from them and they sucked. Now, I carry an Uncle Bill pocket tweezers and slim folding emerald file in my wallet. Now I have one less tool in my pockets and the replacements work fantastic.
Tims

Post by Tims »

I had to vote one multitool but I refuse to actually do it because if I go down that route my knives become obselete :/
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Voted and posted already for folder and ((for me) small) multitool.
I will and want to carry always a Spyderco-folder, but from a solely PRACTICAL point of view theoretically a multitool alone could work. But the one I would possibly consider does not exist (yet) as far as I know: Would have to feature:
Easy accesable (so on the outside of the tool), one hand opening, quite BIG blade (for cutting bread loafs for example); scissors, plyers, screwdrivers; pocketclip (!) ,and still small enough to be carried comfortably in Jeans pockets (LM wave is too bulky)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I voted 1 knife folder or fixed. Any car I drive is full of tools, so I am never in need of a tool lol.

I would also carry a leatherman squirt or juice if it had no blade and all tools.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

My most common EDC is a larger folder and a small (precise) folder. Something like a ladybug and a Manix 2, Military, etc.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I carry a Delica or Salt 2 and a Learherman Squirt. I tried bigger folders and bigger tools, but this set up is the best for me. I also carry a small AAA flashlight, a Bic lighter and a pen.
I do carry a Leatherman Wave on my work bag, alongside with a 18650 flashlight, tape measure, moisture meter and other tools but I just carry that bag while at work and most of the time it stays in the van.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Folder and a SAK
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi