Spydie Logo Differences - Golden vs. Taichung

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zatx

Spydie Logo Differences - Golden vs. Taichung

Post by Zatx »

I purchased a digital microscope for experimenting and improving my sharpening skills and thought I would document the differences between the Golden and Taichung manufacturing facilities when etching the Spyderco logos.

This first image is at 40x magnification. The left logo is on my Amalgam which is produced in Taichung; the right is from my REX45 PM2 manufactured in Golden Colorado. I have acid etched this blade to create a beautiful patina so the coloring will look different than the S30V Amalgam.

This second image is at 250x magnification (same layout - Taichung Left - Golden Right).

The differences are apparent, but also understandable. Laser engravers that are capable of the quality found used in Golden are extremely expensive so that cost is factored into the price of every knife. If Taichung were to purchase such a machine, their costs would go up as well.
The Deacon

Re: Spydie Logo Differences - Golden vs. Taichung

Post by The Deacon »

And yet, some folks think the Taichung logos look better because they appear to be more intricate than the ones on Golden or Seki Spydercos.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm curious what digital microscope you purchased. I've been thinking about picking one up so I can see how the edge of my knives look microscopically. I don't want to spend too much money but I want something that actually works.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:37 am
And yet, some folks think the Taichung logos look better because they appear to be more intricate than the ones on Golden or Seki Spydercos.
That would be me. I just like the Taichung logo better and of all things the web like design.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

The contrast and sharpness of the laser mark really look great with that etch.

I also am fond of the Taichung engraving. Neither is "better," but I always like seeing a toolpath turned into a beautiful pattern. Maybe it's because a photo etch and laser etch seem so trivial to accomplish, while the CNC programming seems (to me) to involve more careful planning.
Doubtless there's a lot of money and skill that went into each.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Can you post the two logos from normal eyesight range ?
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Zatx- very interesting images. Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing your edges under the microscope.

BTW, what microscope is it? I'm curious too.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:14 am
Zatx- very interesting images. Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing your edges under the microscope.

Here is a picture of the edge that came on my new Amalgam. This is the sharpest knife I've ever received from the factory, and the image reveals why; it is entirely devoid of a burr without a micro-bevel, which is remarkable.

JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Interesting pictures, I also think the Taichung engraving looks cool. Another interesting observation I've had is the coloring of the engraving on the 52100 PM2; it has a golden-ish cast to it that looks really good against the satin gray of the carbon steel. I almost wish it was more apparent or brighter whatever, and if all spydercos had that I think it would be cool too.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:50 am
Interesting pictures, I also think the Taichung engraving looks cool. Another interesting observation I've had is the coloring of the engraving on the 52100 PM2; it has a golden-ish cast to it that looks really good against the satin gray of the carbon steel. I almost wish it was more apparent or brighter whatever, and if all spydercos had that I think it would be cool too.

I have the 52100 PM2 as well and examined it with the microscope. The discoloring looks like it's caused by both burning and oxidation/corrosion. I wonder how deep the heat from the laser or machining tool affects the heat treat (not that it matters way up on the blade).
Joey

Post by Joey »

I’ve noticed that on my 52100 PM2 as well, and wondered if it was chosen because of the handle material (full CF)? Either way I think it looks so neat in comparison to other blades from Golden.
Nice pictures! What are the specs on that bad boy? I need a good microscope too. My 10X loupe shows the neat engraving, but I want something that zooms in further.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Joey wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:59 am
I’ve noticed that on my 52100 PM2 as well, and wondered if it was chosen because of the handle material (full CF)? Either way I think it looks so neat in comparison to other blades from Golden.
Nice pictures! What are the specs on that bad boy? I need a good microscope too. My 10X loupe shows the neat engraving, but I want something that zooms in further.
Yeah doesn't it look cool on the 52100!? Gives a nice little flash of color. I have two 52100's, one is pristine and the gold hue still shows brightly and the other is patina'd so the gold is mostly dulled which is interesting given what OP said about it looking like oxidation under his microscope.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Zatx wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:38 am
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:14 am

Here is a picture of the edge that came on my new Amalgam. This is the sharpest knife I've ever received from the factory, and the image reveals why; it is entirely devoid of a burr without a micro-bevel, which is remarkable.

What's the magnification on that?

It does look like a sharp edge. I wonder what grit finish that is.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Crux

Post by Crux »

Took this pic with my phone. :)
Attachments
Para 3 blade1_.jpg
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:47 pm

What's the magnification on that?

It does look like a sharp edge. I wonder what grit finish that is.

It's around 250x. The grind marks coming out of Golden look to be around 600 grit, the ones from Taichung look closer to 800-1000.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Wow, nice images Zatx! I too find the logo differences quite interesting. I always thought it was really neat that Spyderco took the tool path for their Taichung logos and made it part of the design, adding a sort of texture to the logo. I like both the Golden and Taichung blade logos.

That said, I prefer the clips on the Golden knives; the ends of the clips are shaped slightly more pleasingly aesthetically than the Taichung clips in my opinion, and I also prefer the logo on the Golden clips.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

gundamaniac wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:19 pm
Wow, nice images Zatx! I too find the logo differences quite interesting. I always thought it was really neat that Spyderco took the tool path for their Taichung logos and made it part of the design, adding a sort of texture to the logo. I like both the Golden and Taichung blade logos.

That said, I prefer the clips on the Golden knives; the ends of the clips are shaped slightly more pleasingly aesthetically than the Taichung clips in my opinion, and I also prefer the logo on the Golden clips.
After you posted this I took off the Taichung clip and put on a Golden; I didn't care for it as much. The Taichung end is lower and flatter, so it doesn't hang on stuff as often. Also, the Taichung version sits lower/closer to the knife scale which also helps with avoiding bumps/snags.