2019 Reveal Volume One - Live!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

Re: 2019 Reveal Volume One - Live!

Post by TazKristi »

I posted this on facebook so some of you may have already seen it, but I think it'll be helpful here too.

ETA... everyone wants to know, right? With our new process, our intent is that everything in this Reveal will be available within the next 90-120 days.
This is not the only Reveal that you'll see this year. Our goal and expectation is that everything in this Reveal will ship before we launch the next Reveal.

This is a big change for us (and for you). We absolutely are aware of that. We know this year will be one of transition and we're willing to say that there might be a bump or two along the way (transitions usually come with a few inherent challenges) but we're really excited to be able to offer our new Reveal program and to have you along with us for the journey.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Para3 lightweight AND it's in a budget steel.
This thing could go supernova!

I would have prefered a PM2, but the market disagrees.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I was interested in the Abel native 5s, then saw the $495 price tag, thought that was for the set, but that's each...
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Hope the Para 3 LW sells well enough to justify a Para 2 LW
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Well I wasn’t too happy with this new reveal process at all. I thought for some dumb reason that the reveal process was going to be a single knife at a time. Kinda, well...boring. Boy was I wrong. What an exciting surprise this was! The reveal booklet looks great and is full of great looking knives. Way to go Spyderco. After all these years, I should have known better than to doubt you. :D

Top of my list from this reveal is easily the Ikushi. Such a great looking design. I’m eager to check out the opening mechanism. It’ll be interesting to carry such a slim Spyderco.

If I knew any fishermen, those Abel Natives would make a great gift. I’m not a fan of FRN but that LW Para 3 is calling to me.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve used mirrolures for years, I’d be cautious picking up those Abel spydies! Scared I’d stick myself with a treble hook or two...
vivi

Post by vivi »

Even though I have no interest in the Para 3, I'm really excited about this LW version.

I hope Spyderco makes many more models with that same set of materials and price point. I'd love a Police, Manix XL, and if I still carried them a Millie in FRN/BD1N.
:unicorn
archangel

Post by archangel »

So many FRN lightweight design lovers here. I'm happy that you get what you like!

At the same time I hope that all G10 / CF / titanium scales lovers of slightly heavier configs such as me will still be served in parallel, that FRN will not replace entirely packages such as the G10 Stretch or Police 4, or the CF Manix...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Ikuchi- uh yes plz.
Beautiful freaking knife!
archangel

Post by archangel »

Don't get me wrong, the Para3 FRN with BD1N is going to be a great great user for those who need one really good compact knife (compared to a $10 China folder from your local supermarket). It will sell like sliced bread, and people will be nothing but happy. Entry level drug for future spydienuts. ;) Once they have been bitten, they will learn that there is so much more... :D It is therefore the right decision to launch such a combination. :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
ol_lukey

Post by ol_lukey »

really wish they would have used thinner blade stock on the para.. it would have made it even lighter and that was a big part of the appeal with the bugout for me (which i assume this is competing with)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Halfneck wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:34 pm
Hope the Para 3 LW sells well enough to justify a Para 2 LW
Same here. Bring on the PM2 LW!

So glad to see the wire clip! And love the idea of BD1N

I too think that thinner stock would've been an awesome move for the LW versions of both. Maybe it still can happen? I'd be down for a PM2 backlock with thinner stock.

Anyway, great job Spyderco and looking forward to another revealing.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I think people are missing this post. I can`t wait for some real pics of the P3 lightweight. The wire clip should solve my unhappiness with clip placement on the g-10.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:55 pm
sparky2016 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:42 pm
CTS-BD1N article and threads. New, improved, wave of the future, etc:
https://knifenews.com/are-we-entering-t ... de-steels/
//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=77098
//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=79786

The Abels Reel stuff is really something. Genius.
There's been a thread about those Abel Reel Native 5's...I believe they were around $400 if I'm not mistaken.
You are mistaken !!! They are $495 each......
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Awesome job Spyderco & crew. From a business standpoint you guys and gals amaze me. Way to punch back at the naysayers. :cool: :spyder:
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

ol_lukey wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:55 am
really wish they would have used thinner blade stock on the para.. it would have made it even lighter and that was a big part of the appeal with the bugout for me (which i assume this is competing with)
That was my first thought about it, too. With the same blade thickness and geometry of the original, I’m not sure it’s going to be that compelling to me, even with the compression lock, since I already have a Chaparral.
Jim
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I’m very impressed with the new Pare 3 lightweight. I think this knife will be a great business move for Spyderco ( a Benchmade Bugout killer well done). I’m curious to hear how the CTS-BD1N compares to CTS-BD1 in say... Manix 2 lightweight. Here’s hoping this knife will open the door for a Paramilitary 2 Salt lightweight with LC200N, I definitely would be all over that knife if it became available as I was with the Native Salt. I really like that little Meerkat too.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

TazKristi wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:00 pm
I posted this on facebook so some of you may have already seen it, but I think it'll be helpful here too.

ETA... everyone wants to know, right? With our new process, our intent is that everything in this Reveal will be available within the next 90-120 days.
This is not the only Reveal that you'll see this year. Our goal and expectation is that everything in this Reveal will ship before we launch the next Reveal.

This is a big change for us (and for you). We absolutely are aware of that. We know this year will be one of transition and we're willing to say that there might be a bump or two along the way (transitions usually come with a few inherent challenges) but we're really excited to be able to offer our new Reveal program and to have you along with us for the journey.

Kristi
Thanks for these details. When you announced the change in the process of selecting knives for the yearly catalog, you said it was to better balance the timing between the announcement and actual release of new products. I appreciate that sentiment, but I also don't really see a 90 to 120-day wait as striking that balance very well.

I really like the looks of the Ikuchi.
Jim
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

Where's the endura love? That wharncliffe looks baaaaad
araneae

Post by araneae »

jimmd wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:14 pm
TazKristi wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:00 pm

Kristi
Thanks for these details. When you announced the change in the process of selecting knives for the yearly catalog, you said it was to better balance the timing between the announcement and actual release of new products. I appreciate that sentiment, but I also don't really see a 90 to 120-day wait as striking that balance very well.

I really like the looks of the Ikuchi.
It's their first go at this, you're really complaining? This is much shorter of a release timeline than a catalog coming out in December and waiting perhaps most of the year for a model to drop. Patience is a virtue.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal