A fixed blade in the future?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
spyderwolf

A fixed blade in the future?

Post by spyderwolf »

When will the Byrds hatch a fixed blade,if ever?I think many would be interested.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Sirens1

Re: A fixed blade in the future?

Post by Sirens1 »

There was a thread regarding a fixed blade Byrd not too long ago. I too am anxiously waiting for an update....
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

There is interest, but only something unique or overlooked by the market is likely to make it. Unfortunately there are some very nice fixed blades that are quite affordable and as such, a byrd model like them is unlikely. I do think something will happen but we should be patient while design ideas are worked on.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I'd buy almost any byrd fixed blade, especially a kitchen knife set or similar, but there is fierce competition as it is easier to manufacture affordable fixed blades and many companies do it. Regardless, I think we will see something eventually, and it will surely be cool and likely fairly unique.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

I am probably wrong, but spyderco sells to niche. A byrd line of fixed blades would be selling to mass market.
Justin
vivi

Post by vivi »

8cr Swick?
:unicorn
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I could stand to have a couple more Swicks.
Joseph08

Post by Joseph08 »

spyderwolf wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:20 am
When will the Byrds hatch a fixed blade,if ever?I think many would be interested.
I am looking forward to buy this https://swordsswords.com/dark-salvation ... ambit.html. Want to try out a unique version.
sal

Post by sal »

We can bring this up for discussion. We've not had great luck with fixed blades in the past. Something like Joseph is looking for is probably not in the byrd future. What type of fixed blade did you have in mind?

sal
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

A Robin size and shape neck knife and/or a belt knife between the Meadowlark and Cara-Cara in length with similar blade geometry but 3/16th" deeper. Plain G10 scales ( black,coyote,od and orange) and BD1 please. :) Or bare bones like a mule with the buyer deciding on handle finish.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:30 am
We can bring this up for discussion. We've not had great luck with fixed blades in the past. Something like Joseph is looking for is probably not in the byrd future. What type of fixed blade did you have in mind?

sal
Just an idea,

There might be market for 8Cr fixed hawkbill designed after the FRN Hawkbill, add integral ring for retention.
I prefer folders so it’s not for me, but folks looking for reliable SD knife might be interested with this concept.
Chris :spyder: