Dyad II or New Concept Double Blade Folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Dyad II or New Concept Double Blade Folder?

Post by JD Spydo »

Yesterday I broke out my C-44 Dyad and carried it for the entire day>> I hadn't had it out since the 4th of July and I really enjoyed carrying it. I used it on two minor jobs and I thought to myself if only a lot of the new guys & gals here at Spyderville would get the opportunity to try out one of the original, "Real McCoy" C-44 Dyad models :cool: The Gray VG-10 Sprint Run model was cool but for some strange reason I still prefer my original Micarta C-44, ATS-55 Dyad. It was the super-flagship model of the Spyderco ATS-55 era IMO.

The concept of a premium, full sized folder with two very functional blades i.e. one full Spyderedge and one full plain edge is awesome. With all the newer/better blade steels the timing couldn't be better.

Maybe some of you would like to chime in a give your ideas on what would be a near perfect double bladed folder for the cutting chores you all encounter on most days. Immediately one improvement I would like to see would be a C-44 Dyad model with some type of lanyard attachment that the original C-44 Dyad didn't have.

Let's talk about a new, improved C-44 Dyad or what you would think would be ideal in a double bladed folder?
500Nitro

Re: Dyad II or New Concept Double Blade Folder?

Post by 500Nitro »

Dyad is on my list to buy.

I'd have to think about what blade shapes on it.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

500Nitro wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:39 pm

My advice is to get one of the full sized C-44 Dyads before you get any of the "Junior" Dyad models or any of the Micro Dyads.

Even if you have to settle for the older ATS-55, Micarta models you won't regret it.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:46 pm
500Nitro wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:39 pm

My advice is to get one of the full sized C-44 Dyads before you get any of the "Junior" Dyad models or any of the Micro Dyads.

Even if you have to settle for the older ATS-55, Micarta models you won't regret it.

You read my thoughts - as you sooooooo often do, correctly as well ! lol

Was thinking the same thing, I'll save and bit the bullet on a full size Dyad.

As you know, older doesn't worry me. Expect a PM when I start buying !!!
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JD,

I've got a new Dyad II design that I've been working on for a few years now. When we get it sorted, W'll probably make at lest one run. I think you"ll like it because of some unique features.

sal
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Good to hear Sal, thank you. :)

And no I won’t berate you if it takes time to get to market lol :D
Last edited by 500Nitro on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Stoked
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:02 pm
Hi JD,

I've got a new Dyad II design that I've been working on for a few years now. When we get it sorted, W'll probably make at lest one run. I think you"ll like it because of some unique features.

sal
Mr. Glesser you don't know how happy I am to hear that :) Now I got two questions>> First off is it a full sized unit similar to the C-44 model? Second is the new unit going to have a lanyard type attachment or lanyard hook on it?

Oh there is one more thing on my mind. Is the idea of a Salt Series Dyad still alive?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

As much as I love good ergonomics, I think this idea works best with blades that don't have a thumb ramp, so that they close all the way into the handle, so that you aren't gripping the 2nd closed blade when in use. As a basic example if you gave the Nilakka a second blade you could use it and not have the extra blade ruining your grip. that also might mean a very plain handle that doesn't have any curves but if you give it finger grooves and thumb ramps, one of the blades has to compromise. I like the idea of the knife feeling exactly the same regardless of what blade I'm using.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Thank the heavens!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Evil,

I understand your thoughts. Unfortunately my new Dyad design does have two one hand opening blades and I do have to deal with the fact that it's not as ergonomic as it would be with a blade closing all of the way.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This one just has to have a newer/better blade steel. VG-10 has had it's run and a good one at that. But a new Dyad deserves a Supersteel.

Like I said in the earlier post I'm hoping that there will be some kind of a lanyard attachment. It would also be cool to have a wider pocketclip like the one that was on the old GUNTING model would be great.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

That’s great news that there is a another dyad in the pipeline.
I enjoy using my c44 sprint a lot. My only criticisms of the c44 sprint would be that I find the clip sets up a sometimes awkward high carry. (I am used to high carry clips and generally prefer them, but this is next level... ). I can’t help but wonder if it might work better with curved clip similar to the civilian or Persian centering over the pivot.
I also don’t see the need for the left hand clip option as it would seem this is not the most lefty friendly knife. With the light colour scales my eyes are always drawn straight away to the extra screw holes.

All said and done, none of those issues are ever going to stop me from using it!
J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Over the years I've talked to at least a half a dozen guys who used their C-44 Dyad models in the fishing industry as well as other seafaring jobs. Which is why I'm adamant about wanting a lanyard attachment on the newer model. For me to see one of my C-44 Dyads to go overboard would be nothing short of devastating :eek: :( Even if I was taking it on a hunting trip or just hiking in the woods I would want the assurance that I wouldn't lose it needlessly.

I'm very much looking forward to this one. But please Sal don't forget some type of lanyard attachment. Because my earlier C-44 Dyads really didn't have one.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:14 pm
Hi Evil,

I understand your thoughts. Unfortunately my new Dyad design does have two one hand opening blades and I do have to deal with the fact that it's not as ergonomic as it would be with a blade closing all of the way.

sal

You could retain one handed opening by using a hole cutout like the Nilakka/Southard/Rock Lobster use. It would limit how large your thumb hole could be though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JD,

I think I've figured out a way to add a lanyard hole.

Hi Evil,

I don't think that will work for this design.

sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Would cobra hoods improve the feel of the closed blade in hand?
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Is it practial with a lanyard on knife with a blade in both ends?
Wouldn't the lanyard interfer with one of the blades.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:35 am
Is it practial with a lanyard on knife with a blade in both ends?
Wouldn't the lanyard interfer with one of the blades.
What if the lanyard attached in the center of the back?
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I thought about that, but then the lanyard would be in your palm when you use the knife, hardly ergonomic.
;)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean