Your top 5 Sal Glesser designs?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mom3ntuM

Re: Your top 5 Sal Glesser designs?

Post by Mom3ntuM »

1. Stretch 2 (g10)
2. Ukpk drop point
3. polestar
4. Caly jr
5. Delica 4

List is based on what i own.
Got my First military (rex45) on the way, police4, endura and shaman on my shortlist so it's subject to change.
:)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
elena86

Post by elena86 »

1. :spyder: Dragonfly - His best design ever.... Sal was visited by gods when he designed this one
2. Old school stainless steel Police
3. Delica
4. Military
5. Sage1
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:51 pm
1. Stretch 2 (g10)
2. Ukpk drop point
3. polestar
4. Caly jr
5. Delica 4

List is based on what i own.
Got my First military (rex45) on the way, police4, endura and shaman on my shortlist so it's subject to change.
OP here, Thanks for sharing! My personal list contains a knife I just handled, but do NOT own yet... the Shaman. But have it in hands makes you know for sure that you will also OWN one eventually... :) magic-ergos.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

1. His wife
2. His son
3. Blade hole
4. Spyderco
5. Spyderco employees
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Spyder Hole
Pocket Clip
Compression Lock
Hawkbill Dragonfly
Shaman
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Stretch 1

Stretch 2

Police 3

Police 4

Military
Nate

Post by Nate »

Military
Para 2
Mule
UKPK/Calys/Urban
Chaparral

(That counts as 5 right? :p )

Related topic:
Complete list of Sal Glesser designs
:spyder:
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:42 pm
holeshot wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:43 am
The Calypso, it stands alone far above anything else IMHO. :)
If you're talking about the big C-54 Calypso then you've got a big "HIGH FIVE" on that one :cool: Other than the C-60 Ayoob it's the one folder I want the very most in one of the new Supersteel blades.

My most favorite Sal Glesser design is without a doubt the original TEMPEANCE 1 fixed blade model. It was one of the very few premium Spyderco fixed blades you could also get in full Spyderedge and it's the one model I want a Sprint Run the most in the fixed blade category.

The next 3 would be the Caly Jr., the original C-44 Dyad, and the Micarta Dyad Jr. would all be my ultimate favorites from Mr. Sal Glesser's great designs :cool:

OH and I give "Most Honorable Mention" to the C-36 Military model :cool:
Of course I am! Is there any other Spyderco that has true ELAGANCE C-54?
"No matter where you go, there you are"
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

For me it would be in no particular order the Navigator, Meerkat, Cricket and Dragonfly2. I like the Meerkat enough that I am considering carrying it as an EDC.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

1. Caribbean
A knife's knife. This is a wonderful design that deserves to be a platform like the PM2. It deserves to be spoken about with the same reverence as the Military. Throw a set of less "offensive" scales and another steel on there like Maxamet or something and bam!
I personally like the scales and LOVE LC200N, but I can see where the scales could turn people off.

2. Caly 3.5
The choice between this and the Calypso was incredibly difficult, but ultimately I carry this one more. Kinda prefer the handle shape too. I would love to see a Caly 3.75.

3. Dyad
Nothing but pure functionality AND you can make it lefty friendly! I'm not lefty, just taking credit...
This is the only knife that could be my "only knife".

4. Pacific SE
As a sailing knife, it has no equal. It also excels in general utility.
Couple that with almost no weight and it sits proudly in the top five.

5. Mantra 1
While technically Eric's design, it's based on the Delica, so we will give some credit to Sal. I do not like the lock or flippers, period. Even so, somehow when combined on this particular design they work beautifully.
This feels like the ultimate iteration of the Delica. It's the right size for a small knife and M4 has been a pleasure.

That's my list as of today, it can and has changed.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Nice marmot

Post by Nice marmot »

So my favorites designs to use and carry would be the caly 3, caly jr and para 3. Or course the genesis of those were the original C54 and the Millie. That would be my top five. Who knows if those great three inch blades would have come along if not for their big predecessors. I don't really have a need or a desire to carry much more than a three inch knife. That said I think I'll throw my SE Calypso in my pocket tomorrow for a change of pace.

Honorable mention. The kopa series.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Gentlemen and ladies, may I draw your attention to the Spyderco Stretch 2?

Not the prettiest to be certain but I assure you fits the philosophy of Sal without exception. She may lack the looks of a show girl but gives the ergos of a fine wife. Pass it by at yer own peril so says I!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I can't believe I'm the only one here that has listed the original, 2004 era TEMPERANCE 1 fixed blade model as one of their all time favorite Sal Glesser designs :confused: Maybe it's because it's such an older model and no longer available :confused: But I can assure any of you that the original TEMPERANCE 1 model is truly timeless and it's one of Sal Glesser's time tested premium designs. It's truly one timeless Spyderco fixed blade model hidden in plain view. I dare any of you to check it out first hand.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Delica
Stretch
Temperance 2
Military
Caribbean (I think so, don’t have mine yet.)

I didn’t list Manix 2 or Paramilitary 2 because Eric contributed to those.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Military
Police 4
Stretch
Calypso
Chaparral
Josh
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

Chaparral
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RobDigi wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:08 am
Chaparral
With that one it´s a little like with the Shaman for me: Get it in hands and you´ll love it. Made my list too, and that means something since I am really more of a bigger-knife-guy...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:19 pm
I can't believe I'm the only one here that has listed the original, 2004 era TEMPERANCE 1 fixed blade model as one of their all time favorite Sal Glesser designs :confused: Maybe it's because it's such an older model and no longer available :confused: But I can assure any of you that the original TEMPERANCE 1 model is truly timeless and it's one of Sal Glesser's time tested premium designs. It's truly one timeless Spyderco fixed blade model hidden in plain view. I dare any of you to check it out first hand.
It might be due to that imo many more people are into Spyderco folders than fixed blades (Spydercos and generally) and so fewer did handle one? Just a guess, I might be wrong. I myself have a lot more use for folders than fixed blades, and the three of the latter I own and use occasionally are not Spydercos admittedly.

Just out of interest: I looked at pictures of the Temperance 1 vs the Temperance 2 (see here for example http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/review ... nce_2.html ) and the differences in overall shape do not seem to be too pronounced at first glance (other than the handle material).
Kind of like with the Stretch 1 vs the Stretch 2, where the changes made are very subtle for most people, but just for me several details make me like the Stretch 1 even more than the Stretch 2.
Would be interested if it is it the same for you with the Temperance? And if, why in detail? (Several differences are listed in the linked review, maybe thats what you think too?)
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

EASY:
1:Military
2:Military
3:Military
4:Military
5:Military

5-by-5