So someone saw my pocket clip and -- "You carry a knife!"...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lonerider1013

So someone saw my pocket clip and -- "You carry a knife!"...

Post by lonerider1013 »

So I was at the doctor and he saw my pocketknife and said "oh, you have a spyderknife!" I showed it to him, then explained I prefer them because the hole makes them real easy to open since I injured my one side. "The only knife I'm comfortable opening with that hand" I said. He agreed and said he had one too and preferred the spyderco hole opening.
First time anyone ever noticed I carried a knife unless I had it in hand lol.
Since he was a surfer I should have in retrospect told him about the new native salt...

I know folk often worry about someone seeing their knives or make a big deal about how folk react to knives (i have in the past, sometimes) but this was new -- a positive experience and someone appreciating the knife as a good design.
It was the wharncliffe btw..

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Evil D

Re: So someone saw my pocket clip and -- "You carry a knife!"...

Post by Evil D »

I spotted a Yojimbo 1 at a dentist's office once and had to chat about it. I happened to have the Yojimbo 2 on me so it was a fun chance to compare the two.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have never had, nor seen anyone else have a negative experience due to a visible pocket clip.

I have never had, nor seen anyone else have a negative experience due to an open carried fixed blade.

I firmly believe this issue has been blown out of proportion online. I don't doubt that it has happened here and there, but it isn't something one needs to worry about in most parts of my country.

I've had experiences similar to yours. Someone noticed my pocket clips and asks what kind of knife I carry, while pulling theirs out to show off as well. Great conversation starter!
:unicorn
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Most people never notice and few care as long as you do not get close to them with an open blade. This is a point I am always very careful about.
FK

Post by FK »

In most corporate facilities a knife of any kind is classified as a "weapon" and is not allowed.

Everyone must read and sign off the "Employee Handbook",, done deal.

Regards,
FK
Crux

Post by Crux »

FK wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:41 pm
In most unfriendly corporate facilities a knife of any kind is classified as a "weapon" and is not allowed.
I fixed it for you.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

RThey'll be even more likely to see it now as later today I did some filework on the clip...

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've shared a few negative knife stories here on the forum, so I'll share a positive one.

At my job we regularly get clients that are Military and LEO. A few months ago, I noticed two of our clients were carring pocket knives, and one of them had an all black patch on his bag that I recognized as Michael Janich's MBC logo. Naturally I had to ask about the patch and ask them what they were carrying. They were both carrying Zero Tolerance folders, and the guy with MBC patch said he had recently attended an MBC training camp with Mr. Janich (I was jealous). We talked a little bit about the Yojimbo, and about Spyderco which he didn't know much about. He then asked what I was carrying, at which point I showed him my Shaman and let him play around with it (I don't usually hand my knife to strangers but an MBC patch is good street cred). I could see the knife envy :D He said he really liked it. I think I may have made a spydie convert.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

When people ask me what the clip in my pocket is, I reply, it’s just a pocket button. :D
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:43 pm
I've shared a few negative knife stories here on the forum, so I'll share a positive one.

At my job we regularly get clients that are Military and LEO. A few months ago, I noticed two of our clients were carring pocket knives, and one of them had an all black patch on his bag that I recognized as Michael Janich's MBC logo. Naturally I had to ask about the patch and ask them what they were carrying. They were both carrying Zero Tolerance folders, and the guy with MBC patch said he had recently attended an MBC training camp with Mr. Janich (I was jealous). We talked a little bit about the Yojimbo, and about Spyderco which he didn't know much about. He then asked what I was carrying, at which point I showed him my Shaman and let him play around with it (I don't usually hand my knife to strangers but an MBC patch is good street cred). I could see the knife envy :D He said he really liked it. I think I may have made a spydie convert.
I live in DuPage County in Illinois. About 5yrs ago I had the opportunity to study once or twice with a student in/of MBC in Northern Illinois suburbs. If the guy had lived 20 to 30 minutes away from me, I'd still be there studying with him.

If an MBC class starts up in DuPage county, I'll join in. The material looks sensible, and that is what counts.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

Crux wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:16 pm
FK wrote:
In most unfriendly corporate facilities a knife of any kind is classified as a "weapon" and is not allowed.
I fixed it for you.
Yup. My last corporate job had a strict no weapons policy. I carried a Police 3 and Micra every day, and used the P3 to slice apples at lunch. It was a tool for me and not a weapon, so no one cared.
FK

Post by FK »

Vivi,

I have told the story in the past, prior to retirement, I was a senior corp V.P.
While at the copy machine, it ran out of paper, I used my Delica to remove the wrapper. Our new female accountant was nearby and exclaimed loudly about my "weapon". She ran down to the president's office and complained.
Well he called me in and smiled,, opened his center desk drawer and showed off two new engraved custom pocket knives.
He requested I keep the Delica inside my pocket, not clipped, and we had a pleasant discussion on knives.

Regards,
FK
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

You realize of course that if you do everything right, eat the right foods, exercise, meditate, think positive thoughts, stay away from evil people, sharp objects, guns, knives and certain chemicals you will live forever.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

FK wrote:
In most corporate facilities a knife of any kind is classified as a "weapon" and is not allowed.

Everyone must read and sign off the "Employee Handbook",, done deal.

Regards,
FK

I don't carry knives, I carry pocket cutting tools. ;)
vivi

Post by vivi »

FK wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:40 am
Vivi,

I have told the story in the past, prior to retirement, I was a senior corp V.P.
While at the copy machine, it ran out of paper, I used my Delica to remove the wrapper. Our new female accountant was nearby and exclaimed loudly about my "weapon". She ran down to the president's office and complained.
Well he called me in and smiled,, opened his center desk drawer and showed off two new engraved custom pocket knives.
He requested I keep the Delica inside my pocket, not clipped, and we had a pleasant discussion on knives.

Regards,
FK
That's an awesome story :)
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

In the last ten years I've had one person point out a knife in my pocket.
I don't conceal my carry but at the same time I don't advertise it either. Hence my preference for black pocket clips.

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Situational awareness includes knowing when it’s a good idea to unclip and deep pocket carry. I’ve never been hassled about my knives. Thanking my lucky stars, but also my awareness of the people around me.
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

I taught Jr. High for 7 years and had a Spydero in my pocket every single day I was there. Only twice did students notice I have a clip in my pocket (I mostly carried something with a wire clip (Manix LW, Caly, or UKPK) Both times I said it's a Spyderco and they both said cool, my dad has one of those. :D
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

If Nick Shabazz refuses to call something a weapon, it's not a weapon.

(anything larger than a delica is a weapon of war, but the delica is a gem)
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:43 pm

Thank you for sharing this. It's always great to hear about my MBCers representing our Family well!

BTW, for Chicago-area folk, both Team Spartan and Forteza Fitness are offering MBC training with some of my certified instructors. If you're looking to get involved, the resources are there.

Thanks again!

Stay safe,

Mike