Your top 5 Sal Glesser designs?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Your top 5 Sal Glesser designs?

Post by Wartstein »

Just realized that my favorite Spydercos are all designed by Sal Glesser. Actually I was not fully aware of that, since generally it really does not matter to me at all who the designer is, as long as I love the knife.

Thought to start a thread quickly, could be interesting and fun to hear what YOUR top 5 Sal Glesser designs might be. [EDIT: Or less than 5, if you do not had the opportunity by now to handle at least 5]
If anyone wants to share: Obviously list only designs by Sal Glesser and I´d suggest only knifes you really have handled, not only saw depicted or heard people say that they were great.

Does not have to be necessarely the Sal Glesser knifes you CARRY or even LIKE the most, just the ones you think the design is the best.

So mine are (and just in my case are also my favorite Spyderco designs generally)

1. Stretch 1
2. Stretch 2
3. Endura 4
4. Shaman
5. Chaparral
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
holeshot

Re: Your top 5 Sal Glesser designs?

Post by holeshot »

The Calypso, it stands alone far above anything else IMHO. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:18 am

I´d suggest only knifes you really have handled, not only saw depicted or heard people say that they were great.
I think you are asking a bit much.

People in the US have much more opportunity to see more knives than we do here in Aus and I’d say the same would apply elsewhere.

I can often tell I would like a knife by looking at it, then I look up what others say about it, WHO actually said it and how similar it is to other knives I like.

Might also be good if a complete list of sals designs were listed as most wpuldnt have a clue.

I’d definitely say the Endura
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

holeshot wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:43 am
Never handled one, so I did not list it... but going by the specs: Could be very much to my likings: Basically an Endura (which I love), but featuring a choil that does NOT take away too much of the actual edge-length (which is my No 1 critics on choils)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

500Nitro wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:49 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:18 am

I´d suggest only knifes you really have handled, not only saw depicted or heard people say that they were great.
I think you are asking a bit much.

People in the US have much more opportunity to see more knives than we do here in Aus and I’d say the same would apply elsewhere.

I can often tell I would like a knife by looking at it, then I look up what others say about it, WHO actually said it and how similar it is to other knives I like.

Might also be good if a complete list of sals designs were listed as most wpuldnt have a clue.

I’d definitely say the Endura
Hello,

sorry, you´re probably right. I just had a little time window and did not contemplate too much about how to exactly shape this thread, just put it out for people who might find it entertaining to participate. Edited the original post (like "5 or less" of your favorite designs)
Just for the record: I am also not based in the US, but in Europe. I also don´t see too many knifes in real life, but it just happened that most of those I did were Sals designs.. wasn´t even aware of that till right now, that sparked the idea to start the thread.

Greetings, Gernot
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

It’s a good idea for a thread.

How do you find out if a knife is designed by sal ?
I just looked up 2 on spyderco web sites and it doesn’t say.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

500Nitro wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:01 am

Good question... I did always know the Stretch 1 and 2 were designed by Sal for himself, since that gets mentioned a lot; The Shaman also was often announced as Sals design; Concerning the Endura at first I just assumed it had to be designed by Sal since it is a very early design; googled the Endura and the Chaparral then.

In some cases if you look up a product on the Spyderco homepage, the designer is mentioned, but more often not.

I do not know if one can identify the designer by some number or letter-combination - maybe someone else does and wants to chime in (or maybe thats a topic for another new thread)

Probably that "Spyderwiki" which was discussed here recently due to it beeing down would tell, but I do not know..
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

500Nitro wrote:

Sals moniker on the blade would be a good starting point, I guess.

I really couldn’t say which are my top 5. The Military, Caly & Kiwi 4 would have to be in there, but so would the Dragonfly, Chaparral and Stretch. I also couldn’t possibly leave out the Delica, Endura or any of their derivatives. Did Sal have a hand in the Sage line? - there’s another five there.... etc etc!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:25 am
500Nitro wrote:

Sals moniker on the blade would be a good starting point, I guess.

I really couldn’t say which are my top 5. The Military, Caly & Kiwi 4 would have to be in there, but so would the Dragonfly, Chaparral and Stretch. I also couldn’t possibly leave out the Delica, Endura or any of their derivatives. Did Sal have a hand in the Sage line? - there’s another five there.... etc etc!
Right, but it isn´t always there... Sometimes generally not (Endura, Delica)), sometimes not always (Stretch 1)

/ That´s the "fun" and food for thought in it... ;) What WOULD be the Top 5 if you HAD to decide... ;)
sal

Post by sal »

When we make a collaboration design, we always put the collaborators name or "tag/logo" on the blade. If there is no indication on the blade, then the knie was designed by sal or Eric or both sal & Eric.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:54 am
When we make a collaboration design, we always put the collaborators name or "tag/logo" on the blade. If there is no indication on the blade, then the knie was designed by sal or Eric or both sal & Eric.

sal
Thanks, that clarifies a lot.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:54 am

sal
So: A majority of Spyderco knifes are designed by either Eric or yourself? To be honest, I really never did care too much who the designer is or what logo is on the blade when looking at all the knifes,so I do not know (ok, when I lost my stretch 1, which HAD Sals makersmark and bought a replacement which had NOT I DID notice it.. ;) )
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

So many to like, but forced to choose just five (and discounting the PM2 only because it isn’t just Sal’s design), I’d be content with:

Calypso
Police4
Military
Shaman
Chaparral
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:42 am
So many to like, but forced to choose just five (and discounting the PM2 only because it isn’t just Sal’s design), I’d be content with:

Calypso
Police4
Military
Shaman
Chaparral
Thanks for sharing! So ranks 4 and 5 are exactly the same as mine. Calypso will almost certain make my top three as soon as I get to handle one I assume. Police (just handled it) and Military (own one in Custom Zirikote wood scales) are great, but just a tad too long for me.
acer

Post by acer »

Going with the patterns with Sal markers mark on them : Military , Stretch , Ukpk, Caribbean , and Sherman . Joint efforts Sal Eric Para military 2 and Para 3 All cream of the crop :D Until the REVEAL anyway👍.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Military - it is design genius in many ways. PM2 I would list for #2.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

1. Chaparral LW
2. Dragonfly 2 Salt
3. Native 5 Salt
4. Military
5. Chaparral LW Salt (please make this!) :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Delica 4, Chaparall, Police 4, Military, Polestar.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

holeshot wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:43 am
If you're talking about the big C-54 Calypso then you've got a big "HIGH FIVE" on that one :cool: Other than the C-60 Ayoob it's the one folder I want the very most in one of the new Supersteel blades.

My most favorite Sal Glesser design is without a doubt the original TEMPEANCE 1 fixed blade model. It was one of the very few premium Spyderco fixed blades you could also get in full Spyderedge and it's the one model I want a Sprint Run the most in the fixed blade category.

The next 3 would be the Caly Jr., the original C-44 Dyad, and the Micarta Dyad Jr. would all be my ultimate favorites from Mr. Sal Glesser's great designs :cool:

OH and I give "Most Honorable Mention" to the C-36 Military model :cool: