New reveal policy: is it the end of an era?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larry_Mott

Re: New reveal policy: is it the end of an era?

Post by Larry_Mott »

Tims wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:19 am
I have over the years missed out on a few knives because I wasn’t aware of what was going on.
Now, i am not being a dick, but i find it hard to believe how you can miss ..anything going on in Spydieland if you live in a civilised country and have internet access :)
(up until now that is of course)
EDIT: And a genuine interest.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

I'm wondering what, if any, effect the change will have on flippers? Maybe it will make it harder for them? Not a bad thing, IMO.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Unfortunately i don't think it will make any difference at all.. If you have the spare cash and 5-6 drone accounts to use, you only need minutes to order a bundle of specials.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Such is life unfortunately.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:44 am
Tims wrote:
I have over the years missed out on a few knives because I wasn’t aware of what was going on.
Now, i am not being a dick, but i find it hard to believe how you can miss ..anything going on in Spydieland if you live in a civilised country and have internet access :)
I don't have Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. None of those trendy things. I use this forum as my source, and have yet to miss ANY exclusive or sprint release since I've been here for close to a year now! This place is so on top of things, no need for anything else when it comes to Spyderco's
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bullwinkle,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I used to say it gave me time to save up but it never works out that way for me... haha

I just wanna know where is the ikuchi been waiting forever it feels like. Maybe just show us the knives that are closer to being finished. Like announce models from other countries when they're in Golden for QC, I think that would be safe for them and enough time and would actually tell us more in the sense of the order we will see them in stores.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
vivi

Post by vivi »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tims wrote:
If I'm not participating here, I don't hear about new Spydies. Simple as that.

I don't have any stores around me that stock more than the basic models like Enduras, Delicas, Natives and Para 2's.

I don't use social media.

I don't follow any knife websites or participate in any other knife discussion boards.

The only knife news I get is from this website.

If I don't actively participate, like what happened for a few years, it can be easy to forget about sprint runs.

I'm very happy with my current set of knives. They serve me well. I don't have a strong urge to replace them.
:unicorn
Tims

Post by Tims »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tims wrote:
Better believe it Larry. What I posted is true. That’s why I took the time to post it.

I don’t ‘internet’(social media etc) and theres no knife stores in my town here downunder. The only time I get up to date on the knife world is when I want to buy a new knife and actively look.

I’m typically not the forum type. I’ve joined plenty over the years, participated briefly on a few, moved on from most. I tend to lurk and use them as a resource for information.
sal

Post by sal »

You don't have to be buying Spyderco knives to participate in this forum. Subjects here are far and wide and could be enjoyed by many that don't even own one Spyderco knife. I like to think that his forum is more than the sum of it's knives.

sal
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I don't think People last to Long on This forum before they buy a spyderco if they don't have one when they join.
Tons of Nice pictures and praises. Enablers up the wazoo.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:33 pm
You don't have to be buying Spyderco knives to participate in this forum. Subjects here are far and wide and could be enjoyed by many that don't even own one Spyderco knife. I like to think that his forum is more than the sum of it's knives.

sal
Your insights into the life of a knife manufacturer & designer is half the reason I've stuck around :)
:unicorn
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Tims wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:48 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
Tims wrote:
Better believe it Larry. What I posted is true. That’s why I took the time to post it.

I don’t ‘internet’(social media etc) and theres no knife stores in my town here downunder. The only time I get up to date on the knife world is when I want to buy a new knife and actively look.

I’m typically not the forum type. I’ve joined plenty over the years, participated briefly on a few, moved on from most. I tend to lurk and use them as a resource for information.
I tried hard going back in my mind to the mid 80's, when i started collecting on a small scale. Back then you (well, i anyway) saw knives in the odd store ( I live in Sweden, and i seriously doubt we're better stocked here than you are in Australia :) ) in movies and magazines. I was a handgun shooter/enthusiast and bought American magazines, they had some ads and featured knives every now and then. The first knife i ordered and bought from the US (via landline phone and snail mail) was a Pacific cutlery custom Jody Samson BaliSong i saw in the movie 10-midnight.
During the 90's and 00's i don't even remember where i found (out about) cool new knives. The Social media thing is "only" about 8 years old for me.
Even today i pick up a lot of news via Youtube, Knifenews and such since the only info about 'new stuff' on social media (Spyderco forum of course excluded, even if it is kinda social media) is rehashed, reposted stuff from other sources.
Again, i meant absolutely no offense with my post.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

It was nice hearing about all the stuff coming, but the multiple threads made by posters thinking it was taking too long got old fast. Reminded me of my boys on a car trip when they were little "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How much longer?"
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I'm going to be really bummed if the Amsterdam thread is impacted by this change.

It is my favorite thread of the year.
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

I understand it both ways. People are upset about their pre order knives that haven't shipped in months and the content whining and asking for timeframes on releases gets old. At the same time a lot of the fun of the forum is looking at whats new/upcoming and speculating about dates and details, it drives a lot of the discussion on here. I guess we will see how the new reveal policy looks when it is rolled out.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

There seems to be a lot of angst about a process that has yet to be implemented. Might be wise to see how it works before criticizing it.
(Important disclaimer: let me just note here that I am not telling anyone what to do, merely stating my opinion.)
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:39 am
I don't have Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. None of those trendy things. I use this forum as my source, and have yet to miss ANY exclusive or sprint release since I've been here for close to a year now! This place is so on top of things, no need for anything else when it comes to Spyderco's
Your post made me chuckle when you called Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter "trendy" - which have been around since 2005, 2010, and 2006 respectively. The modern forum as we all know it has only been around since the mid-90s.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:18 am
There seems to be a lot of angst about a process that has yet to be implemented. Might be wise to see how it works before criticizing it.
(Important disclaimer: let me just note here that I am not telling anyone what to do, merely stating my opinion.)
It's the modern way, "I want it now" ! Instant gratification.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The new Reveal plan seems wise to me. It removes one more stress point for Spyderco, allows for better control in setting realistic customer expectations, and allows Spyderco more time (if needed) to perfect designs. Not really seeing a negative here.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001