Knives that changed your minds - ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Knives that changed your minds - ?

Post by Wartstein »

I was contemplating which knives in my "knive-loving-history" actually changed my mind on specific features on certain points of time.
What I mean: You initially or for a time think, you would not like feature XY (could be size, colors, types of locking mechanism, grinds, other handle or blade features, whatever), than you experience a specific knife that changes your mind on that.

I´ll start out with my personal experiences on that, maybe some of you want to share yours too...

- Delica 4 CE / changed my mind on quality knifes:

The Delica in Combo edge was my first quality knife (and also Spyderco) ever, prior to it I was carrying no name, more or less crappy folders.
I thought, a more expensive, higher quality knife would not make much of a difference. Experiencing the Delica changed my mind completely

- Endura 4 FFG / on grinds

Prior to my first Endura FFG I thought, sabre grinds (had Endura and Delica in that grind) would be the best thing for EDC, due to it´s robustness.
Experiencing the FFG Endura showed me, that this kind of grind is more than solid enough and much better for 95% of all tasks

- Delica 4 FFG blue / on color:

Changed my mind on that a knife had to be black and unobtrusive

- Shaman / on finger choils:

I owned and own Spydercos featuring the typicall finger choil, I like these knifes for many reasons, but was/am not so sure about their choils and how much actual edge-length tends to be sacrificed to them.
Handling the Shaman was the first time, that a choil felt totally perfect and 100 % worth the reduced length of the actual edge

- Chaparral / on thin blade stock:

See my recent poll ("interested in a longer version of the Chaparral...): Handled one, immidiately became a convert to thin bladestocks (in MORE knifes, but not in EVERY knife)

- Kapara / Deep carry clips:

This goes the other way: Thought, I would not care if a knife features a deep carry clip or not. The Kapara showed me, that in longer folders I actually do NOT like deep carry clips, but prefer standard ones.

So: I´d appreciate your input, if you like.
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:20 am, edited 5 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
standy99

Re: Knifes that changed your minds - ?

Post by standy99 »

Salt series
Folders in boats, who would of thought !!
Never would have contemplated folders in a salt water environment.
Now use them more than fixed blades (and the safety aspect of being able to fold and tuck away from kids or non knife savvy people on the boat)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
sal

Post by sal »

When we first began making sharpeners (late 70's early 80's), I joined the Knife makers Guild and the ABS. What I learned from those guys was huge! Especially about steels, grinds, mechanics, fit & finish and performance. Over the past years, I must admit that those guys changed my mind about a lot of things.....for which I thank them. :D I had some great teachers.

sal
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

I always carried small knives, thinking I’d never need or like large knives, until my first PM2. Now the PM2 is my smallest knife! Can’t wait to get my Amalgam on Wednesday!
agony

Post by agony »

My first 'real' folding knife was the FRN clip AUS-8 Delica that I purchased in the early 90's. Carried that knife for years and it served me well. Prior to the Delica I only carried a SAK. the Delica started my downward spiral.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Paramilitary 2 in S35VN, S30V, M390, 52100 made me ditch the sebenzas.

Para 3 in S30V and M390 made me ditch the Paramilitary2.

Lionspy full sized in Elmax killed PM2 and Para3 in all Steels.

Military In CTS 204P killed Lionspy Full Sized.

Spydiechef In LC200N killed Military

Sals Stretch2 In VG10 has kicked everything out of the pocket!
Last edited by Doeswhateveraspidercan on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

My folder progression:

Teens & 20's: Traditional Multi Blade Stockman - Buck USA 301 (3 blade) 420HC steel and synthetic scales. First good knife!!! Still have it!

20's & 30's: Gentleman's Knife - Buck USA small single blade wood scales locking back, then a Boker (germany) small single ceramic blade metal scales locking back. Convenient and near invisible to carry! Still have both of them!!

40's & 50's: EDC - Spyderco Dragonfly then Delica 4 in FRN and VG10. Single hand deployment and fit! Lost the dragonfly and temporarily lost the Delica but still have it (now, x 17)!!!

If I was still interested in a gentleman's knife today, then it would be the carbon fiber chaparral. Explored other EDC ... Native 5 in frn & carbon fiber & smooth G10, Mini Grip, Bugout. Currently exploring larger blade knives ... first try Manix, second try PM2 ... on deck for 2019: Caribbean & Amalgam.

Always thought Spyderdco was an ugly knife ... know they are the favorite.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:34 am

CG
Same with me...at first did not know what to think about the looks, now I absolutely love that distinctive Spydercodesign and OTHER knifes look odd to me (wonder how many else took that path) -consequently I own only one single qualityfolder anymore that is NOT a Spyderco (Benchmade Minigrip).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:18 am
cycleguy wrote:

CG
Same with me...at first did not know what to think about the looks, now I absolutely love that distinctive Spydercodesign and OTHER knifes look odd to me (wonder how many else took that path) -consequently I own only one single qualityfolder anymore that is NOT a Spyderco (Benchmade Minigrip).
Count me in on this as well. Used to be a Kershaw guy and would scoff at paying more than $75 for a knife. Thought Spyderco's weren't very appealing to the eye and a bit pricey. Now, I really don't look at any other knives. A lot of that has to do with the fact I tell myself I only need a dozen and am at 11 right now!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
attila

Post by attila »

I bought a Military despite strongly disliking liner locks in an attempt to redeem the lock type. So far, I am really enjoying it. I don't strongly dislike the linerlock anymore, but I still prefer a CBBL over all other locks, followed by the compression lock and then Spyderco's back lock. I'll have to keep using it alongside the others to see how I end up liking it over time. Perhaps the Military's linerlock will climb in the rankings of my preferred locks.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One knife that really changed my mind about what an ideal Every Day Carry knife would be. I'm speaking of the C-36 Military model.>> and particularly the Sprint models with the supersteels. I had first thought that they might be just a bit too big as a regular EDC but I soon found out differently. We here in Missouri are blessed with a 4 inch limit on folders which gives me quite a nice selection of what I can carry and use.

I also thought that the C-36 Military would be a bit bulky as well as being a bit too long>> but after carrying one for about a month I did change my mind completely. As a result I now really don't like a plain edged EDC with a blade under 3.5 inches long. Because I've found a longer blade can get a lot more jobs done.

Also when I first started on this forum back around 2004 or thereabout I kind of regarded Hawkbill blades as being sort of a novelty or highly specialized knife. But when I started carrying a Spyderedged HARPY as a companion blade I completely changed my mind on that knife design as well. Since then I've gotten quite a few Hawkbill blades and I have used most of them over time. You just never know until you actually get down and use a certain type of blade until you put it to work>> and only then do you know what that particular design is capable of.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The Pacific Salt SE changed my view of a fully serrated blade for EDC. I like it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Military got me liking larger blades. Feature wise I've always kinda had a basic idea of what I like. Maybe I don't experience this as much because I don't step out of my comfort zone and buy models that don't fit my criteria.

I guess maybe you could say the Manix 2 changed my mind about the Para 2 (meaning I like it less as a result of carrying the Manix). In fact I haven't bought a Para 2 in like 7 years because of it. Then the Sliverax changed my mind about the Manix 2 (and many others). I guess my changes of mind are more along the lines of preferring a whole knife over another and not so much about particular features.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:49 am
Then the Sliverax changed my mind about the Manix 2 (and many others).
I know enough of you by now to be a little surprised: Sliverax doesn't come serrated, does it?! ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:01 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:49 am
Then the Sliverax changed my mind about the Manix 2 (and many others).
I know enough of you by now to be a little surprised: Sliverax doesn't come serrated, does it?! ;)

Ha, unfortunately no and I haven't carried it as much as a result. It's my go to PE though. I guess you could say a few knives changed my option of SE, but that has been a few years in the making.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
anycal

Post by anycal »

It was the Native 5 that changed my mind about one hand opening/closing, locking knives, with pocket clip, in the <3" category.

I always had small slip joint knives. But for locking one handers, PM2 sized knife is what I used most of my adult life.

Now, about a third of my collection are in that <3" category.

On the other side, there is the Military. Need I say more?
Peter
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Wartstein wrote:
cycleguy wrote:

CG
Glad to hear that I am not the only one late to the party!!! I'm betting your minigrip is a thumb hole and not a thumb stud???

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

PM2

I have to admit that assisted opening knives are what sparked my interest in the hobby of collecting.

But after feeling the buttery smooth opening of my PM2 I can't go back. I now feel like assisted opening is a little silly.

The second was my military. I thought it was too large but I got a deal of a life time on it. And Ive discovered I actually prefer a larger knife.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:34 am
Wartstein wrote:
cycleguy wrote:

CG
Glad to hear that I am not the only one late to the party!!! I'm betting your minigrip is a thumb hole and not a thumb stud???

CG
Man, I wished it were the thumb hole one!!!... but I bought it alongside with my Delica when I first got into higher quality knifes, and at THIS point I found thumb hole knifes to be looking odd. So I did not want a second one additional to the Delica... The studs are more or less annoying. Get in the way when cutting THROUGH stuff and sometimes while sharpening...
Only thing the Minigrip showed me: It is really no problem to choke up on the actual EDGE, even when your knifes are sharp. I always did so ("did" cause I really do not carry it anymore) due to the handle beeing to short for my L to XL hands...