Stretch3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Stretch3

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Hi Sal, the Stretch2 is an amazing knife. What are the chances of either a stretch 3 or perhaps a stretch plus?

My request is to change the length of the blade so there is a full4 inches of cutting edge.

Other than that maybe som variants in steel like LC200N with and without FRN and G10 Scales.

In all honest very happy with it in VG10 Back kick is great but maybe a compression lock option as well as back on a G10 Model.

I guess compression locks are not doable on FRN have not seen one yet.

Thank you.
Mushroom

Re: Stretch3

Post by Mushroom »

The Stretch 2 was just introduced in 2017 and you want Spyderco to change the design already? :rolleyes:

Personally, I like the size of the Stretch 2 as is. I definitely wouldn't want to see it with a full 4" blade. That would be larger than an Endura.
-Nick :bug-red
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Nope I love it that much I want an even bigger one :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

My perfect Stretch 3 would be the Stretch 1 ;)
More compact when closed, but still more actual edge than the Stretch 2.

4" of PURE cutting edge? That would be more than a Military has... would be courious to see what such a Stretch looks like, but would not buy one...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I know more cutting edge than a military would be nice but I guess 3.75 inches of cutting edge would be ok then the entire length could be like a a military or thereabouts. Would be good with that.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doeswhatever,

Probably not likely. A larger version would be illegal in many places which would limit sales. A new model would require all new tooling, which is expensive for a model with questionable sales volume. A G-10 version and an FRN version requires two sets of tooling. We believe a Compression lock can be made in FRN, but we're still testing.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:16 pm
I know more cutting edge than a military would be nice but I guess 3.75 inches of cutting edge would be ok then the entire length could be like a a military or thereabouts. Would be good with that.
I totally respect your wish for a bigger version, but for me personally one of the distinctive features of the Stretch IS it´s size - I feel that design would not work well if made bigger or smaller..
I currently only have the Stretch 1 (maybe my most favorite folder ever), the ergos of the handle feel that great, cause it somehow "hugs" the hand between the forward guard and that hook in the back (no more present in that shaping in the Stretch 2). That would not work in both a smaller and a bigger version.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Well that settles that thanks for the info Sal. Now to find a Stretch 1.... :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:08 pm
Well that settles that thanks for the info Sal. Now to find a Stretch 1.... :)
Go for it!! If you like the Stretch 2, there is a good chance you´ll like the Stretch 1 even better - imho, but be aware that I am a huge Stretch 1 fan ;)
They are still to be found, hardly in VG 10, but in HAP 40 and ZDP 189. Not cheap, but I guess they will rather raise in value than fall over time.

If you are really interested in Stretch 1 vs Stretch 2 I may recommend a thread to you, that I started recently:
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... +nostalgia
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I noticed that and just bought one in HAP40 how is the steel? Seems like a good Steel from what I read and I have already become Stretch2 Fan. Sure I will Love the Stretch 1 also.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:28 pm
I noticed that and just bought one in HAP40 how is the steel? Seems like a good Steel from what I read and I have already become Stretch2 Fan. Sure I will Love the Stretch 1 also.
I´d be VERY interested in your thoughts and impressions when you get the Stretch 1! Maybe you´d care to report back, I´d appreciate that!

Concerning HAP 40: There is a recent thread ("ZDP vs HAP40") containing good information.

I only have an Endura in HAP 40 right now, absolutely love it!! Other than that I have only knifes in "lesser" steels (cheaper, that is, like S30V, VG 10 and so on)
With HAP 40 I really notice the better edge holding, while it is not hard to keep sharp for me just on a regular sharpmaker (fine/medium) and a strop.
I also like the unique looks of the laminate lines.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I will be certain to report back here when it arrives. Every time I wonder about a design Sal made and get it the wondering turn into ahah so that’s why he did this!
sal

Post by sal »

The Stretch was a personal project for me. When the Stretch was in production, sales were not as I had hoped for. I found a few design flaws ( I felt they could be improved ) that I felt would improve the model. I found the finger choil was too shallow and the handle was a little tight for a larger hand. Many thought it foolish to re-tool, but I made the changes to the "2" version. Unfortunately sales are still slower than I think they should be so I'm going to experiment more.

sal
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I only have a g10 stretch 2, i really like it and i love the bladeshape. (more drop points pls)
Maybe the reason for the slow sales is that the stretch is competing with your own heavy hitters like the Pm2, endura and manix 2.
They are roughly the same size and bladelenght, although some difference in locks and bladeshape.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I think I know what the problem is Sal it is the blade shape it is not attractive.

This is a case where the form and function are incredible but the appearance holds it back. Unfortunately in this case a blind man will find a treasure in this knife where a sighted man is blind.

The reason I purchased the first one was because I was looking for my first VG10 knife.

I did not want little blades as I like to use my knives in the kitchen.

I had seen this model many times but it never was sexy enough. If that’s a thing.

Then I read it was your pet project and thought you know what, if Sal designed this as a pet project then it is going to exceed appearances and work better than expected just like the Military
works so well.

I hope.

Was not disappointed. Just used the Stretch2 in VG10 to slice thin strips of flank steak, peppers and red onion for fajitas.

Thank you Sal this knife is wonderful and I sure hope people will not miss this one.

I think a compression lock and maybe an Elmax or M390 will launch this model quite well. M4 is always popular as well as Carpenter steels.

I am happy with VG10 though.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mom & Doeswhatever,

The size was in between the Endura and Delica so the sales should have fit right in. I guessed that sales being slow had to be either the blade shape ( drop points are traditionally slower in sales ), or the finger choil, which the Endura and Delica don't have. When sales re not what they should be on a model that I designed, I like to know why, so I experiment to learn why.

The next test will be a stretch with an Endura blade shape. But it will still have the finger choil. Then there is the Endela, which does not have a finger choil.

sal

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Continual refinement is our evolutionary obligation to humankind"
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Excellent knife in the kitchen Fajitas ala Sal
4368DA71-DDCD-40C5-BD8F-829A3253685C.jpeg
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Please keep the finger choil everytime I pick up a knife without one I have to force myself not to place my index finger on the blade.

Blade shape is perfect not pretty but perfect.
Last edited by Doeswhateveraspidercan on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I'm Sad to hear that the bladeshape might be the reason, for me it's a big reason i like it. The ergos on the handle is great, but it's Just as great in the choked up position as my thumb rests Perfectly over the "hump" and i feel i have absolute control on the blade.
Doeswhat how dare you call it unatractive :P , it's what makes the knife special.
Look at those curves, it's even sexy when closed :)
Look at those curves, it's even sexy when closed :)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mom & Doeswhatever,

I designed the model for me and I'm somewhat obsessive/compulsive about my designs. I'll keep the Stretch 2 as it is regardless of what else we try to create, because I like it the way it is.

sal