CPM REX 45 | Edge Performance

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

Re: CPM REX 45 | Edge Performance

Post by Deadboxhero »

Very nice edge-e!

Sal, are we getting more Rex45? Looks like it's a smash hit.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Spyderco rex45 is what I was hoping their hap40 was going to be.
I'm wondering if cladding limited the hap40 heat treat?
edge-e

Post by edge-e »

Yes, Spyderco delivered on REX 45. Glad I could share the info. I really like the HSS :)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jpm2,

I believe there is more in-the-works. Can't say too much.

sal
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Sal, will HAP40 be heat treated like Rex 45 in the future?
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
sal

Post by sal »

HAP 40 is heat treated in Japan. They have their own heat treat methods due to the laminate. REX is made by Crucible in the US and we have our own heat treat methods.

sal
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I was referring to unlaminated HAP40, but thanks for the info. It seems while the HAP40 HT protocol is fine, the Rex45 is far superior (although maybe slightly less tough) so I was curious.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

sal wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:25 pm
Hi Jpm2,

sal
I figure a sage1 might be asking too much, but native5 LW should be doable... my 2nd choice.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

sal wrote:
Hi Jpm2,

sal

Great news!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

I've been working on reprofiling my PM2 in REX45 using the Edge Pro over the past few days. (I only like to sharpen for < 1 hour at a time to prevent fatigue.) I really like how this steel touches up on the Sharpmaker, and I was able to do that for a while to maintain sharpness. But it was time to put a nice fresh edge on this bad boy. So off to the Edge Pro it went.

The 140 grit CKTG diamond plate made short work of the initial bevel setting at 15 dps, then that's where the real fun started. I took it to the 220 grit stock Edge Pro stone and it took far longer than I expected to clean up the scratches from the 140 diamond plate. Probably around an hour. Some of that was likely due to the fact that my angle was maybe 1/2 a degree or 1/4 shallower with the 220 stone, so I had to grind a little extra to get back to the apex. But man this stuff is hard. The 220 stone was loading up very quickly. Now usually it will keep cutting when that happens, but not with this steel. I was taking it to my flattening plate every few minutes to clean the metal from the stone and get to some fresh abrasive. I put it away for the night after I finally removed all the scratches and hit the apex on both sides of the blade with the 220. More later once I have time to take it through the remainder of the progression and finish it off.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

ejames13 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:43 pm
I've been working on reprofiling my PM2 in REX45 using the Edge Pro over the past few days. (I only like to sharpen for < 1 hour at a time to prevent fatigue.) I really like how this steel touches up on the Sharpmaker, and I was able to do that for a while to maintain sharpness. But it was time to put a nice fresh edge on this bad boy. So off to the Edge Pro it went.

The 140 grit CKTG diamond plate made short work of the initial bevel setting at 15 dps, then that's where the real fun started. I took it to the 220 grit stock Edge Pro stone and it took far longer than I expected to clean up the scratches from the 140 diamond plate. Probably around an hour. Some of that was likely due to the fact that my angle was maybe 1/2 a degree or 1/4 shallower with the 220 stone, so I had to grind a little extra to get back to the apex. But man this stuff is hard. The 220 stone was loading up very quickly. Now usually it will keep cutting when that happens, but not with this steel. I was taking it to my flattening plate every few minutes to clean the metal from the stone and get to some fresh abrasive. I put it away for the night after I finally removed all the scratches and hit the apex on both sides of the blade with the 220. More later once I have time to take it through the remainder of the progression and finish it off.
Going for toothy or fine?
Justin
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Knives wouldn't even be a hobby of mine if sharpening took that long.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

crazywednesday wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:02 pm
ejames13 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:43 pm

Going for toothy or fine?
I will stop at either 400 grit or 1000. Haven't decided yet.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:27 pm

Knives are a hobby of mine because sharpening takes that long. ;)
blues

Post by blues »

Zatx wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:54 am
Pelagic wrote:

"...and the best part is, when we're done we get to fill it back in and start over!"
- Retired from the chase -
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Hi Jpm2,

sal

Glad to hear this! Please consider a run of burnt orange G10 with DLC Rex45 blades! I'll take a Native, Native LW, and Military! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Zatx wrote:
Pelagic wrote:

Goodness. I can easily take s110v from severely blunted to hair whittling in 5-10 minutes. I have a feeling Maxamet would be roughly the same. After about 15-20 minutes of freehand I have to take a break, my hand feels like it's going to cramp and I can't maintain the angle as well. I can't take all day to sharpen a knife, that's actually a safety concern.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
snoops_and_poops

Post by snoops_and_poops »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:08 am
Zatx wrote:
Pelagic wrote:

Goodness. I can easily take s110v from severely blunted to hair whittling in 5-10 minutes. I have a feeling Maxamet would be roughly the same. After about 15-20 minutes of freehand I have to take a break, my hand feels like it's going to cramp and I can't maintain the angle as well. I can't take all day to sharpen a knife, that's actually a safety concern.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I take my time with sharpening; it's like meditation for me. Very calming and good for stress. Sure, I can sharpen quickly, but it's less enjoyable.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:08 am
Zatx wrote:
Pelagic wrote:

Oh, I understand and can achieve this level of sharpness in the same amount of time, but as I've told vivi, it's more about the journey than the destination. I take my time with each grit, inspecting the bevel for perfect angles, complete scratch removal, and ensure the bevel is identical on both sides. I do this with each new knife I purchase as its first sharpening to remove the factory bevel, but then never really have to do it again. It's how I get to know a new blade.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like to sharpen as well. There are few hobbies I enjoy as much as pouring myself three fingers of whiskey and disappearing to my workshop for an hour to grind away some steel. It is not at all unusual for me to spend an hour or more on the stones. That said, in this one hour of sharpening I will usually sharpen a small pile of knives and not just one. Granted I do not let them get too dull in the first place but I will usually do 8 of my kitchen knives and a couple folders in an hour.

If you like polished bevels then that takes time. If you are grinding out chips or other damage then that may take a few extra minutes as well. Otherwise it should never take a long time to sharpen a knife. Even when repairing damage you can clean up an edge with a 200 grit bench stone in a few minutes.

This is why I have an issue with most guided systems. They stones are too small and they take too long. The Sharpmaker is brilliant for touch ups and the same could be said for some guided systems. I have definitely reprofiled quite a few knives with the sharpmaker. For any serious stock removal a coarse diamond benchstone will make short work of any steel in the least amount of time. Those tiny stones on the guided systems just cannot compete.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?