Deep carry pocket clips

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ugaarguy

Re: Deep carry pocket clips

Post by ugaarguy »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:56 pm
Many of Spydercos customers don't see it as an improvement. A vocal instagram minority does not constitute a majority.
Are you privy to Spyderco's internal marketing research or or other scientifically valid research which backs up those assertions? Anecdotally, this subject comes up frequently, which would indicate that a significant portion of users do want deep carry clips. Anecdotally, so many users want deep carry clips that the demand sustains at least two businesses (MXG & Lynch Northwest) with enough demand for multiple styles of deep carry clips. Anecdotally, Spyderco users are modifying other companies' steel deep carry clips to fit their Spyderco knives when they want a more economical alternative to the titanium clips from MXG & Lynch. Anecdotally, most of Spyderco's competition offers deep carry clips as standard - even traditional old Buck is sending out as standard a deep carry clip on their new slim versions of their traditionalist icon, the model 110. That's a rather large amount of circumstantial evidence in favor of deep carry clips. I don't think my desire for them puts me in a minority. But you can stay here in the Cult of Sal's Personality and keep telling me I don't need a deep carry clip and I'm just following a social media fad for wanting one.
Tims wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:37 pm
It’s true. I’m in Australia and the last titanium deep carry clip I bought for my native was 60 odd AUD delivered :/ Thats around 1/2 the price of a new Endura. I only bought it because I wouldn’t carry a bright orange Native without a deep carry clip.
Jazz wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:35 pm
Also, you’re not hiding anything with a deep carry clip.
Well Jazz, Tims clearly disagrees with you. I also disagree with you. It's not all or nothing. A plain, matte black, deep carry clip on dark colored pants is far less conspicuous than a bright clip and / or a large portion of the knife sticking out of the pocket. You and several others are under the impression that concealed carry is an all or nothing paradigm: The reality is that it's a scale of more to less conspicuous. Beyond that, you and several others here assume that deep carry is only desirable for concealed carry / hiding the knife. As I wrote in the last thread on this subject, for me it's about comfort of carry over increased concealment.
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

Crux wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:04 pm
gull wing wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:47 pm
My present favorite knife is the Para 3 because of MXG clip.
I don't like the huge hole in my handle(lanyard), looking for custom scales w/o lanyard hole.
Let me know if you do!
Can you two please not hijack this thread?

Has anyone ever tried modifying a regular Spyderco clip into a deep carry? One would need to bend the tab with holes inward 180 degrees. How springy is the steel? Would it take that kind of bend?

As an aside, the PPT has a very well designed and executed and comfortable deep carry clip, so it's very clear to me that the design and manufacturing talent are present.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Wow, this is controversial.

Although I am fine with regular ol spyderco clips and have never desired deep carry, I certainly understand the demand for deep carry clips.

I do respect spyderco for not squashing the small businesses manufacturing these clips.

What I don't understand is how passionately some people oppose those who express desire for something. The "shipping of internal parts" thread is the same way. People ask Spyderco for stuff all the time. Many of these things I do not care for and would never consider buying, but I don't post in the thread asserting that spyderco shouldn't humor their suggestion, nor do I criticize the suggestion at all. I leave that to Sal and the spyderco staff. Doing so keeps things much more civil. The existence of products that I dislike has never and will never bother me in any way, and neither does seeing someone request these products.

Unfortunately, whatever happens, happens. Spyderco is very friendly and open to some suggestions (different models, sprints with different steels/locks, etc), and not so open to others (shipping parts, warranty related suggestions, deep carry clips, etc). At the end of the day we're all still here because we still love and appreciate spyderco. I truly hope those who wish to see this idea come to fruition find a solution. Let's just be kind to one another! :)
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
cwp

Post by cwp »

There seems to be a deep-seated human impulse to insist that other people don't or shouldn't want or need something we don't want or need.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

cwp wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:22 am
There seems to be a deep-seated human impulse to insist that other people don't or shouldn't want or need something we don't want or need.
It doesn't worry me either way, I don't use clips at all.

But their seems to be a deep seated human impulse that insists Spyderco should do it even
when the owner has said they won't and why they won't.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
vivi

Post by vivi »

ugaarguy wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:14 am
Vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:56 pm
Many of Spydercos customers don't see it as an improvement. A vocal instagram minority does not constitute a majority.
Are you privy to Spyderco's internal marketing research or or other scientifically valid research which backs up those assertions? Anecdotally, this subject comes up frequently, which would indicate that a significant portion of users do want deep carry clips. Anecdotally, so many users want deep carry clips that the demand sustains at least two businesses (MXG & Lynch Northwest) with enough demand for multiple styles of deep carry clips. Anecdotally, Spyderco users are modifying other companies' steel deep carry clips to fit their Spyderco knives when they want a more economical alternative to the titanium clips from MXG & Lynch. Anecdotally, most of Spyderco's competition offers deep carry clips as standard - even traditional old Buck is sending out as standard a deep carry clip on their new slim versions of their traditionalist icon, the model 110. That's a rather large amount of circumstantial evidence in favor of deep carry clips. I don't think my desire for them puts me in a minority. But you can stay here in the Cult of Sal's Personality and keep telling me I don't need a deep carry clip and I'm just following a social media fad for wanting one.
Geez, you're getting a fair bit defensive.

I didn't tell anyone not to buy one, or that they don't need one, or call it a fad.

I've made two factual observations in this thread:

1. Spyderco has continually innovated their clip offerings over the years.

2. Not all of Spydercos customers want deep carry clips.

Both of these should be uncontroversial, because they are simple and true observations of the way things are.

If you search around you'll find confirmation from Sal that the majority of folks are happy with regular clips. So, yes, I am privy to data which backs up these observations.
:unicorn
Crux

Post by Crux »

bagsnatcher wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:44 am
Crux wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:04 pm
gull wing wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:47 pm
My present favorite knife is the Para 3 because of MXG clip.
I don't like the huge hole in my handle(lanyard), looking for custom scales w/o lanyard hole.
Let me know if you do!
Can you two please not hijack this thread?
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

ad nauseam

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The Para 3 comment has everything to do with this thread. The big hole is why the clip is so far down, hence the deep carry clips people put on them - the topic of this thread. Calm down and breathe.

I see the point about comfort, not concealment. Makes sense. As long as I don’t have to use them, I couldn’t care less if Spyderco makes deep carry clips.
- best wishes, Jazz.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

"Has anyone ever tried modifying a regular Spyderco clip into a deep carry? One would need to bend the tab with holes inward 180 degrees. How springy is the steel? Would it take that kind of bend?"

I tried that this past year, the clip snapped.

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Crux

Post by Crux »

That steel will not bend as that steel is hardened that way, it is the purpose of a clip. Otherwise it wouldn't work very well. Better to buy an aftermarket clip like the rest of us do.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

500Nitro wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:31 am
cwp wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:22 am
It doesn't worry me either way, I don't use clips at all.

But their seems to be a deep seated human impulse that insists Spyderco should do it even
when the owner has said they won't and why they won't.
It worried you enough to write that anyone asking for deep carry clips was engaged in ' "complaints, whinges(sic), bitches and moans" ' , and that we needed baseball bats taken to our heads. And you keep countering pro deep carry clip statements in this thread. Your actions contradict your words.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Last edited by Bloke on Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Deleted for now.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:19 am
Bloke wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:05 am
ugaarguy wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:14 am
need a deep carry clip and I'm just ...
No, I'm just sick of the same characters showing up and shouting down anyone who wants something they don't. I'm also amused that you mock me with that GIF but give a free pass to the guy who wants to take a baseball bat to people who disagree with him.
Gome on Guy, it’s not that bad!

We either agree or disagree with each other and surely that’s were it should end. I never mean any harm or disrespect with my stupid gifs and you’re not the exception mate. :)

Anyhow, I do hope you had a little giggle either ways. :p
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Read Sal,s comment the other day about letting the little bloke carry on.

Have a local sheet metal workshop. Drop in and ask if they can make you one. You will be surprised at how good it is to give a local guy a go.

Have had parts made for a boat over the years and the local fella gives it to the apprenticeship guys to play with. Last time I had to pick up a piece he had the apprentices all make one. I picked the one I liked the best and he had a friendly competition with the guys. Oddly the 2nd year done the better job than the two fourth years.

Take my hat of to Sal for giving the little guy a go and think it might connect a few to the local workshop.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:05 am
Yum
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

standy99 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:06 am
Yum
Bloody good place Strailyah, ay Standy. ;)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Would swap a Barra for a nice beer battered flathead any day.

Nice little rod and reel set up!

What lure did you catch it on ?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Yeah, Flatties are hard to beat and I don’t know how long since you’ve been down this way but last year at one time they were asking $60/Kg for skinned fillets here at Bondi Junction. :eek:

She jumped on an 80mm, Black Gold, paddle tail Squidgie on a 1/4oz jig head. :)