School Me On Guided Sharpeners

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chumango

Re: School Me On Guided Sharpeners

Post by Chumango »

One I left out - the Sharpmaker with diamond or CBN. If its primary purpose is to reprofile at a consistent angle this might also work.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:54 am

What you desire comes with a price tag. Sorry no way of getting around that point...

Feels like you called me a liar. Thanks... :(
:spyder:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Chumango wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:14 pm
One I left out - the Sharpmaker with diamond or CBN. If its primary purpose is to reprofile at a consistent angle this might also work.
I just worked at my Para 3 M390 for over an hour on the Sharpmaker and it's still a butter knife. I'm about to throw that thing in the trash. Stones are clean, sharpie applied, knife is held straight to the stones. I give up. Used to work for me a few months ago, same method I've always used, just doesn't seem to work anymore. The last 4 knives I've tried to sharpen don't even grab my thumb skin. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Tims

Post by Tims »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:42 pm
Chumango wrote:
I just worked at my Para 3 M390 for over an hour on the Sharpmaker and it's still a butter knife. I'm about to throw that thing in the trash. Stones are clean, sharpie applied, knife is held straight to the stones. I give up. Used to work for me a few months ago, same method I've always used, just doesn't seem to work anymore. The last 4 knives I've tried to sharpen don't even grab my thumb skin. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Mate I feel your pain. We’ve all been there and I’m sure many of us still have days where we just can’t get an edge to do what we want. I know I do.

You’re using a sharpie, are you hitting the apex yet? How much pressure are you using? I know for me on a bad day, the biggest factor against producing a quality edge is how much pressure I’m applying and thats directly related to how much time i’ve spent working on it. The longer I work on an edge the more impatient I become and the more pressure I’ll apply. Effectively undoing good work as I progress. One step forward, two steps back.

On those days I put the knife down and go do something else.

Just a thought
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thanks for the words of encouragement Tims. I ended up walking away for the night. Decided to take the dog for a walk and watch some playoff football. Cant let knife edges get the best of me!

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Chumango wrote:

I know how frustrating that is. :( Sometimes it is best to just walk away and try it again tomorrow.

What kind of angles are you sharpening at? Are you using a microbevel? The more you sharpen a microbevel, the larger it gets, and as the microbevel gets larger it takes longer, and is more difficult, to get it super sharp, until you reprofile it again. (My experience anyway)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:44 am
One thing I'm finding out is that even a guided system takes a lot of patience, practice, and skill to get the best results.
Hey Rick,

Don’t give up mate!

I quoted Connor because I believe it’s a pertinent statement. I feel it’s erroneous to assume buying a you beauty sharpening system will automatically escalate you to Sharp Master.

The principals of sharpening don’t change irrespective of the fact you sharpen on the bottom of a ceramic cup or a $2000 bling sharpener. I have an uncoordinated mate who owns an Edge Pro and if you were to see the mess he makes of knives you’d either laugh or cry. At best some scrape shave badly and he’s convinced now the Edge Pro is no good and wants to buy a Hapstone because my knives are sharper.

Anyhow, Rick, If I were you I’d just pack everything up and walk away for a bit. Reflect on what you did that gave you good results previously and what may be happening now. Let it go for a few days. Then set up again with a positive attitude and try again. Just don’t give up! Like sobriety. ;)

Keep us posted and I’m sure together we’ll get you back up and whittling baby hair like a champion. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Tims

Post by Tims »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:25 pm
Thanks for the words of encouragement Tims. I ended up walking away for the night. Decided to take the dog for a walk and watch some playoff football. Cant let knife edges get the best of me!
Thats the go mate.

Now when you go back to it, have a full plan in your head of what you want to achieve and what you have to do, to achieve it.

Identify the steps you need to take and don’t move onto the next step until you’re happy with the first. Have a clear plan of attack before you lay stone to steel.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:26 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Chumango wrote:

I know how frustrating that is. :( Sometimes it is best to just walk away and try it again tomorrow.

What kind of angles are you sharpening at? Are you using a microbevel? The more you sharpen a microbevel, the larger it gets, and as the microbevel gets larger it takes longer, and is more difficult, to get it super sharp, until you reprofile it again. (My experience anyway)
Im wondering if that's what's starting to become an issue for me. The 4 knives I'm struggling with are my 4 most heavily used and touched up.

That's why I chimed in on this thread earlier today. I think I'm ready to make the next step, whether out of haste or actually time to step it up :)
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

You guys are the best. Honestly. Even taking note of my own personal battles, I really appreciate that Bloke. That, that is something that has stood out to you. Because for me, every day has been a win! Cant let this get me down.

I'm just a bit hot at the moment. Again, thank you guys...tomorrow is another day to work at that edge!

-Rick
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:41 pm
You guys are the best. Honestly. Even taking note of my own personal battles, I really appreciate that Bloke. That, that is something that has stood out to you. Because for me, every day has been a win! Cant let this get me down.

I'm just a bit hot at the moment. Again, thank you guys...tomorrow is another day to work at that edge!
You’re most welcome Rick! :)

I’m on the opposite end of the genius scale but if I can help you rest assured I will. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm sorry to have hijacked your thread a bit Chumango!

Let's hear more about these guided systems please!

-Rick
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:00 pm
I'm sorry to have hijacked your thread a bit Chumango!

Let's hear more about these guided systems please!
No worries.

Are you using the ceramic rods or the diamond or CBN rods? That may be the difference.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Nate wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:19 pm
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:54 am

What you desire comes with a price tag. Sorry no way of getting around that point...

Feels like you called me a liar. Thanks... :(
Hi please accept my apologies I would never call anyone a liar until proven otherwise. When I saw the wood blocks on my cell phone I did not even read your post. Just went back and read it looks like a neat solution.

When I read a post it is often the OP I refer to with my own experience and opinion. Sorry if this has caused problems.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:41 pm

Yep Blokes the best! He encourages my adventures also.

Something I am thinking I would like to share. If you have been sharpening these knives for months depending on how often etc.. it might be possible you have gotten into a thickening situation where you really need to hog off some steel to reset the bevels.

I know the Wicked Edge Pro3 is terribly expensive (Man do I know) but it is very simple and accurate and will get you where you want to be with those steels no doubt at all.

I love my Sharpmaker but it really is not good for heavy profile jobs, it shines at preserving a nice honed blade but over time it will put you into the meat of the knife and you will have to reproduce and thin those bevels. Then it really is not the appropriate tool.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

^^I'm beginning to think that could be the issue I'm running into. Going to test my patience again tomorrow.

My knives get a fair amount of use and have never been reprofiled. Always touched up at 20° I cut a lot of cardboard, packaging tape, plastic strapping, shrink wrap, food, some rope at times and a bit of work while camping when not using an axe or machete.

-Rick
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:23 pm

Hi please accept my apologies I would never call anyone a liar until proven otherwise. When I saw the wood blocks on my cell phone I did not even read your post. Just went back and read it looks like a neat solution.

When I read a post it is often the OP I refer to with my own experience and opinion. Sorry if this has caused problems.
No worries man. Was just giving you a hard time, should have added a " :p " after the " :( " if you know what I mean. :)

I do think it's a neat solution, and it has worked well for me. Think I first heard of it from "me2" who is a member here. Same principal as the Sharpmaker. I like that the angles remain constant from knife to knife and session to session, and that they don't change as you move out toward the tip. (Provided you have some skill in holding the blade correctly of course, but I had that down already from the SM.)
:spyder:
Joey

Post by Joey »

Rick, are you using cbn or brown medium rods? When I’m having I trouble I slap a 140 grit cbn stone up to a medium rod (for angle guidance of course). Since I don’t have the cbn rods, I have to use my coarse KME stone if I want a quick (and new) bevel. It’s 4 inches long, and i can still get a razor edge in 20-30 minutes after bumping up to the 300-600 grit. I haven’t lost yet, and have tried this method maybe 6-7 times (I am relatively new to sharpening). Definitely get some good practice in with some softer steel before you throw the sharpmaker in the trash thanks to the M390.
To the OP: This above method is what I do when I don’t want to use the whole KME set up. I’m more interested in a free hand(for setting up a new bevel)/sharpmaker(for touch ups) route since it’s more hands on, and you get a better sense of accomplishment when it all comes together. The KME is there for when I give up, or want a perfect edge on a blade. Definitely invest in some stropping tools regardless of the route you chose. It’s so fun to make a mirrored edge, and it really makes a knife pop.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Back at it on the Sharpmaker for me today. I believe patience and light strokes is starting to work. Lack of patience probably led to more pressure than required last night. Funny, I feel like I've always used the same pressure as last night and always achieved great results. I'll keep at it this way though.

For those of you that use a Sharpmaker, for your last few passes on the flats with the brown stones, do you typically increase the angle ever so slightly and make a few light passes or keep the same angle that got you there?

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I keep it the same and feel how the steel is being bitten by the rod. When it is smooth feeling very little drag I know the stone has done all of it's work. The temptation to increase the angle is always there to feel the bite but I do my best to not do that as that is changing the angle of the sharpening.
Last edited by Doeswhateveraspidercan on Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.