Spyderco folder used in murder, seen on Forensic Files show.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco folder used in murder, seen on Forensic Files show.

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I hate to be the one to bring up things like this because it makes me feel bad to see wonderful and useful tools like Spyderco knives abused by irresponsible and evil people to bring harm to others. But I was watching this episode of the show "Forensic Files" in which a man named Dusty Harless was murdered by a man named David Genzler, over an altercation involving situations such as where allegedly Harless engaged Genzler after Genzler called Harless' girl friend "baby" and offered her a ride.

Genzler and Harless got physical and Genzler pulled out a knife, a folder, and I'm watching the screen and what knife do I see, but what appears to be a Spyderco Endura or Delica.

Can any of you watch the video below and identify whether it is an Endura or Delica?

Here it is:

https://youtu.be/BahZp1EBXIE

They show the knife at different points in the show, I see it at 8.37-8.40 minutes in.

Then you see the prosecutor hold up the knife at around 10.29-10.30 in the court room.

It looks like one of the 1990s model Enduras to me.

It is tragic and sad that people do these things to each other and also that such great knives get abused for such vile crimes.

Here is the website link to it:

https://forensicfilesnow.com/index.php/ ... d-genzler/

Here is the Youtube video:

https://youtu.be/BahZp1EBXIE

Here is a news story about it from the early 2000s. Genzler was finally released.

http://legacy.sandiegouniontribune.com/ ... nzler.html

From that article:

" Harless, known as “Dusty,” had been bar-hopping in Ocean Beach with his friends. A former champion wrestler at Monte Vista High School, he was a well-known wakeboarder and surfer working in public relations.

He was the type of guy who quickly jumped to the defense of his attractive girlfriend, and on that night it cost him his life.

A fight ensued. Harless was killed. And Genzler, a 25-year-old bespectacled finance major at San Diego State University, was convicted of murder, due to the efforts of a prosecutor later accused of coaching Harless' girlfriend to lie on the stand. "

At the time of the above article, Genzler was suing the state for millions of dollars in damages because he said he was wrongly convicted and the prosecutor coached Harless' girl friend into lying on the stand. I wonder if he ever won it or not, and if he would buy himself another Spyderco Endura.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Spyderco folder used in murder, seen on Forensic Files show.

Post by Liquid Cobra »

It’s not surprising. People will use anything to commit crime. In my line of work I’ve seen Spyderco used on both sides of the law. Obviously I prefer to see it in the hand of a police officer doing what it was intended to do. But anytime I spot a Spyderco it’s interesting non the less.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Endura 1, SE, G2 blade, FRN Handle with plastic clip. I couldn’t tell if it’s the thin or later thicker clip as hand was covering it.

I have same knife in Aus-8, G2 and VG-10.

The blade is definitely long enough to reach the aorta from both front and above the heart (scapula entry).
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Nasty. I love spydercos to see one used in a crime makes me sad. But people misuse all kinds of things.
Interesting to see older ones still out there though. Is it common for people to own the pre vg10 blades? When did they switch steels?
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:31 pm
Nasty. I love spydercos to see one used in a crime makes me sad. But people misuse all kinds of things.
Interesting to see older ones still out there though. Is it common for people to own the pre vg10 blades? When did they switch steels?
Spydiewiki has good info on your steel questions (when it's back up and running !)
\

I see quite a few for sale when looking to buy, its rare if at least 1 or 2 aren't for sale at a time when I look.
Not nearly as numerous as Endura version 3 and 4 though.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Cool. I often wondered if it was feasible to get an older one. Not sure why, maybe just because it would *be* old...
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Crux

Post by Crux »

It's a Delica. Too small for an Endura. IMO
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Crux wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:59 pm
It's a Delica. Too small for an Endura. IMO
My reasoning, happy to be corrected.

They said 4" blade and it vertainly looks to me like a 4" blade

In the court room, the guy holding the knife has a fair chunk of FRN out the top of his clench fist
and a small bit of FRN out the bottom

Other things as well but go to go out.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Ok, that would make it an Endura, my bad. It looked small in his hands in the picture, I didn't listen to the video.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Crux wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:15 pm
Ok, that would make it an Endura, my bad. It looked small in his hands in the picture, I didn't listen to the video.
Crux

Cool. It does help that I've had / carried that exact knife (in Aus-8) for 27 years
so kind of got used to how far handle and blade stick out!

All good
James Y

Post by James Y »

It was definitely an Endura, probably with a Gin-1 (G2) blade.

I've mentioned this show a few times on the Spyderco forum at BF. This incident happened not a mile from my house. Genzler had a retrial and it was found that he acted in self-defense (or manslaughter instead of murder). He has been a free man for years.

My older brother, who for years and at the time was a well-known fixture in the Ocean Beach area, was acquainted with Dusty Harless, but not closely.

Supposedly, Harless (who was a champion amateur wrestler) had gotten drunk and beaten up guys in street fights on numerous occasions.

Jim
Crux

Post by Crux »

500Nitro wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:43 pm
Crux wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:15 pm
Crux

Cool. It does help that I've had / carried that exact knife (in Aus-8) for 27 years
so kind of got used to how far handle and blade stick out!

All good
I only saw the frame of the blade and the hand, but not the handle sticking out which would have changed my guess. I have a ZDP-189 combo Endura that I carry daily but even then I totally blew the I.D. That totally blows my prospective career as a homicide knife consultant. I guess I'll buy another knife and practise some more. :(