Poll: Interested in a longer version of the Chaparral while KEEPING it´s thin bladestock??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Interested in a longer version of the Chaparral while KEEPING it´s thin blade stock?

Yes, I´d like to see a longer version of the Chaparral while KEEPING it´s overall thinness (both blade stock and handle)
42%
Yes. I´d like to see a longer version of the Caparral while KEEPING it´s thin blade stock, but thicken the handle
20%
I´d like to see a blade as thin as the Chaparrals in another, longer (than the Chap) existing model (maybe specify WHICH model in a post)
18%
No, cause I am fundamentally not interested in longer blades
7%
No, I like longer blades but never that thin
5%
No, I don´t think such a thin blade would be robust enough in a longer knife
9%

Total votes: 173

Halfneck

Re: Poll: Interested in a longer version of the Chaparral while KEEPING it´s thin bladestock??

Post by Halfneck »

Isn't the Sage sort of like a larger Chaparral?
Brock O Lee

Re: Poll: Interested in a longer version of the Chaparral while KEEPING it´s thin bladestock??

Post by Brock O Lee »

I’m a big fan of the Chaparral’s thin blade and handle. I would be happy to see more models with 2.5mm or thinner blade stock.

I guess a thin blade limits the lock options for a model, that’s why we mostly see them with back locks...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:00 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:02 pm

To be honest: I do not fully understand why serrations have to be shallower in height if the blade is very thin.
In PE I get that an edge bevel of lets say 20 degree is shorter in height on a thinner blade than on thicker (or, better put maybe: The bevel is the shorter in height, the more acute the primary grind is) - but serrations? Couldn´t you cut those as high as you´d like?
I´ll think about it and illustrate it to myself as soon as my Delica CE is showing up...
A serration bevel is based on 1) angle and 2) how deep it's carved into the blade since it's chisel ground. You would only want to go so deep or the edge would end up off center of the blade. If you look at a full SE blade the chisel grind is slightly off center to compensate for this. I think part of the confusion here is that I was referring to a blade that's ground very thin at/behind the edge and not necessarily thin blade stock overall. If we're just talking about thinner blade stock then the rest of the blade grind leading to the edge and serrations can be as thick as or thin as you like, but thinner will reduce how wide you're able to make the serrations.
Thanks for taking the time to explain in detail again, now I get it!! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Let´s sum up the results so far: 32 votes, but 4 are fundamentally not interested in longer blades, no matter how thin the bladestock might be
So of 28 people left, 24 want to see a 2mm blade stock even in longer blades, 21 of them in a fictive "Chaparral XL" - for me that sounds like there would be a market for more thin-bladed Spydies... Concerning myself: Provided I had the funds, like Evil D/David stated above, I probably would like to buy many of my knifes a second time if they came out in thinner bladestock. For sure Delica and Stretch 1.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'm in for a longer version with the same blade stock. One of my favorite knives is the Baby Horn, it is super thin. I still need to replace it.

As for the chap, 3.5-3.75 inch, LC200N, FRN.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Halfneck wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:21 pm

Yes, it's larger, but a 5mm longer blade doesn't make it all that much larger. Granted, some are going to prefer it, but I suspect just as many will go for the Chaparral because it's considerably more compact while not giving up much in the way of blade length. That said, I'd be up for a Sage 4 with 1.5 or 2 mm blade stock and CF composite scales like the Sage 1 and the original Chaparral.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Nate

Post by Nate »

I do appreciate the thin stock on blades like the Chap and Baby Horn, but I'm not sure how I'd like it on a larger blade (3"+).

Since so many of the models I buy are full flat ground with a distal taper, I'm not sure how much the absolute stock thickness matters to me, especially if the blade is fairly tall.

I would be very interested in a sprint of the regular Jess Horn to go with my Baby Horns, but I'd guess it's unlikely, which is unfortunate.
:spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Halfneck wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:21 pm
Sure, kind of, but blade stock is 3mm (as far es I remember).
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sage is much more like a Para 3 than a Chaparral...but I guess that also depends on which Sage.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Hi,

I didn't vote because I didn't like the choices among the of answers....

So probably not interested but would have to see the final product to be certain.

My .02,

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cycleguy wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:48 am
Hi,

So probably not interested but would have to see the final product to be certain.

My .02,

CG
OP here, thanks for your input! Since I am still more of a newb here: Could you please tell me, which choice(s) you would have liked to see, so I can improve, should I do another poll in the future?
Or is it the choice you already mentioned "probably not interested but would have to see the final product to decide"?
Best regards, GM
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Nate wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:43 am

Since so many of the models I buy are full flat ground with a distal taper, I'm not sure how much the absolute stock thickness matters to me, especially if the blade is fairly tall.
That´s a good point.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:13 pm
While I love the Chaparral, I'm not sure how well its handle would scale up. To be honest, my "ideal" Spyderco would be a Stretch (preferably the size of a 1st Gen Stretch 1) with a 2mm thick (or thinner) VG-10 blade...
My thoughts and wish also ... will it ever happen?
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I did not vote because I simply like the Chaparral the way it is. To me, this is the perfect pocket knife. I would rather see another model with thin stock than mess with my beloved Chaparral.

What I WOULD like to see is another color option for the FRN LW, say a nice deep dark brown, or a burgundy so dark it looks black at first glance.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:40 am
cycleguy wrote:
Hi,

My .02,

CG
OP here, thanks for your input! Since I am still more of a newb here: Could you please tell me, which choice(s) you would have liked to see, so I can improve, should I do another poll in the future?
Or is it the choice you already mentioned "probably not interested but would have to see the final product to decide"?
Best regards, GM
Hi again,

No further poll necessary. Sounds like there are plenty on board with what you have in mind. For me it would be something along the lines of: No, not really interested in a longer version Chap and keeping thin blade stock... just probably not a folder I would be interested in.

Can't be: No, cause I am fundamentally not interested in longer blades... cause I do like longer blades.
Can't be: No, I like longer blades but never that thin... cause I like the long and thin blades I have which are mostly kitchen cutlery
Can't be: No, I don´t think such a thin blade would be robust enough in a longer knife... cause I would only be using it for a slicer

My most liked and used knife is a Delica 4 which probably isn't much different than the Chap version you describe.

CG

FWIW your poll has much better response than the poll I recently ran.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:49 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:40 am
cycleguy wrote:
Hi,

My .02,

CG
Best regards, GM
Hi again,

No further poll necessary. Sounds like there are plenty on board with what you have in mind. For me it would be something along the lines of: No, not really interested in a longer version Chap and keeping thin blade stock... just probably not a folder I would be interested in.

Can't be: No, cause I am fundamentally not interested in longer blades... cause I do like longer blades.
Can't be: No, I like longer blades but never that thin... cause I like the long and thin blades I have which are mostly kitchen cutlery
Can't be: No, I don´t think such a thin blade would be robust enough in a longer knife... cause I would only be using it for a slicer

My most liked and used knife is a Delica 4 which probably isn't much different than the Chap version you describe.

CG

FWIW your poll has much better response than the poll I recently ran.
Thanks for your reply and the explanation! I just wanted to improve generally in framing choices for possible further polls (not do a poll on the same subject anyway), so you helped me with this goal! Even more so, since it is harder for me to formulate what I have in mind in the english language than in my native tongue.

Concerning the Delica: First, a Delica with 2mm blade stock, nothing else changed (except maybe lengthen the blade so it fully extends to the end of the handle when closed) would be great; Second, the Chaparral XL I would have in mind should be a bit longer than the Delica. I´d like to see a step in size like the Endura is compared to the Delica; So, since the Chap is just a little smaller than the Delica (in blade length), the Chap XL would be just a little smaller than the Endura, the 2mm bladestock kept of course... I think this would look and work great.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Is the police 4 too thick? It's longer.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The Delica is already thin enough. Wafer thin isn't always better. Lateral forces do happen.
- best wishes, Jazz.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I'm not really interested in a Chaparral XL, but I do like thin blades where appropriate.

A GB Air with thinner blade stock would be amazing, as would FFG versions of the Centofante 3 and 4, as much as I like how beefy the N5 is, that size and shape could be a great fit with a thinner blade stock as well. I'd also love to see the current UKPK get more rigid scales and a return to a real backspring, so I can really enjoy using it... the thin blade has much promise, but the whole package falls short compared to the original UKPK or other Slipit designs like the Urban.

So, count me in for some new or variant Spydercos with thin blade stock, just not in the over 3 inch category.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:43 am
The Delica is already thin enough. Wafer thin isn't always better. Lateral forces do happen.
Thanks for your input! Not always better, correct, but maybe an interesting option in some applications? Lateral forced do not ALWAYS happen... ;)