price increase?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Re: price increase?!

Post by Pelagic »

ABX2011 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:55 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:37 pm
So where do you buy from? Do you strictly buy/sell n the secondary market?
Secondary market and eBay using "best offer" and coupons. I will buy from a dealer on closeout or for a dealer exclusive or sprint.
You must be doing well on eBay. Because I'll buy a sprint from a dealer in a heartbeat and if I don't like it, sell it on eBay for an auction starting at a penny. I make money every time without being one of those markup nazi's.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Well I only buy what I actually want so I pass up on most of the sprints and exclusives. But yeah it's nice to sell something for a little profit when most sales result in losses.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

I've only been into Spyderco for 10 months or so (won't get into how many in that short time :eek: ) and knives as a hobby since Thanksgiving 2017. I don't have the time spent to offer any advice /opinions on MAP and annual price increases!

That being said...I feel that compared to other hobbies /sports I've been involved with....Spyderco offers a great quality to price ratio! I've bought from just about every popular American, Italian, Japanese, Taiwanese, And Chinese production knife company in the last year . I feel that besides SOME of the Massdrop collaborations...Spyderco offers the best consistent F&F , ergos, materials, and overall function of the bunch!

I've dove into the deep end of the knife hobby and keep surfacing at Spyderco.

James

Prices go up..that's the world we live in. My dad taught me that no one if forcing you to buy anything. ..especially non essential goods. My parents paid 20 grand for 3 acres in 1970 in Olivenhain CA. ..now it's world 3 million. ..go figure! Wish I owned it.... :(
K-bar1999

Re: price increase?! Sal be a fool if u didn’t

Post by K-bar1999 »

:) sal I ratter see ur company get the increase instead of the secondary market with there prices for some of the Special runs what they r charging and some never make it to the public but go to the secondary market with such increases with the money being thrown away if ur company was to get it I believe I would get a better knife that will last lifetime
Crux

Post by Crux »

Was that a tweet?
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
500Nitro

Re: price increase?! Sal be a fool if u didn’t

Post by 500Nitro »

K-bar1999 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:04 pm
:) sal I ratter see ur company get the increase instead of the secondary market with there prices for some of the Special runs what they r charging and some never make it to the public but go to the secondary market with such increases with the money being thrown away if ur company was to get it I believe I would get a better knife that will last lifetime
Can't see the rationale behind that last statement.

I buy a Spyderco, I get a knife that will last a lifetime anyway, regardless of how much I pay for it and who I buy it off.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
K-bar1999

Post by K-bar1999 »

If a special run are offer to online knife co for 149.95 most of never make it to public anyway then are resold for 200 + it shows the market is willing to pay a higher price so why not have those knives sold to the public by sal so everybody gets one and I don’t mind paying that higher value by the company cause they benefit and I benefit by getting better Quality knife
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Qboy,

Welcome back and thanx much for the kind words.

Hi Ka-Bar,

When we make an exclusive model for a customer, it is theirs to sell. We don't sell their models.

sal
Crux

Post by Crux »

That's what makes it cool. :)
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

There's always been good values to find in Spyderco's lineup, I think.

I remember trying to decide between a Gayle Bradley 2 and a Starmate, both sturdy linerlocks in the 3.7" blade range. Bradley 2 started at something like $135 or $140, Starmate at $160 or $170. Throw in the M4 and CF laminate and I think it's easy to see which was the better value (and which is still in the lineup today...).

Same thing now, I was surprised to see the Para 2 at $140 and Military at $178 (been a few years since I've checked, was remembering $110/~$150), but on the other hand a Manix 2 and Manix XL are $114/$143. And I just lost a Delica 4 to the airport - I'm not paying $78 for a new one, but a lightweight Native 5 in S30V with the improved back lock is making a good replacement for $98.

If it's something that costs more than you like, but you just have to have it: pay up, or else walk away. That's your power as a consumer. I paid up for a blue M390 Para 2 from BBS on their first run, because I wanted it that badly. I walked away on the Bradley Junction as much as I like thin fixed blades because the price was just too much... until they got discontinued and started to go on sale. ;)

Prices will increase with inflation as a whole, but Spyderco's got a big lineup. Find your value. Open up that wallet for what you can't go without, and walk on what just doesn't make sense.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Sorry if this has been asked. When is this gonna take effect?