Poll: Interested in a longer version of the Chaparral while KEEPING it´s thin bladestock??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Interested in a longer version of the Chaparral while KEEPING it´s thin blade stock?

Yes, I´d like to see a longer version of the Chaparral while KEEPING it´s overall thinness (both blade stock and handle)
42%
Yes. I´d like to see a longer version of the Caparral while KEEPING it´s thin blade stock, but thicken the handle
20%
I´d like to see a blade as thin as the Chaparrals in another, longer (than the Chap) existing model (maybe specify WHICH model in a post)
18%
No, cause I am fundamentally not interested in longer blades
7%
No, I like longer blades but never that thin
5%
No, I don´t think such a thin blade would be robust enough in a longer knife
9%

Total votes: 173

Wartstein

Poll: Interested in a longer version of the Chaparral while KEEPING it´s thin bladestock??

Post by Wartstein »

Got a Chaparral LW today, and I must say I am blown away, though I am into bigger folders really.

One thing that immidiately crossed my mind: That design with it´s overall thinness, and especially the slicey, thin bladestock would be great in a longer version also (blade thickness of the Chap: 0.78 / 2mm)
Thinking about PM2 - / Stretch - ish bladelength, so maybe a little longer than just a Sage with thinner blade stock. AND thinking of FFG, so not sabre - / hollowgrind (like the Centofante)

I am sure that any sensible and a bit experienced knife-user would enjoy such a longer slicer and be aware that this would not be your "prybar -/ twist-it-in-hardwood"-blade.
I personally in a longer version would not only keep the blade stock, but also the handle as thin as it is. Would be great concerning carryability (especially IWB), and it wouldn´t be a knife for "destroy-a-truck-tire"-tasks anyway, where one would really have to bare down on the knife and squeeze the handle like mad.

I believe more than 90 % of the tasks normal knife-users perform with their longer blades are not only possible, but more effortless and fun to do with that thin bladestock

So: I´d really love to "hear" your thoughts about this topic..

Figured a poll could be fun, also included the option of such a thin blade in another model than a "Chaparral XL", as i figure some/many would like to see that.
If you care to vote: Multiple options are allowed!
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Re: Poll: Interested in a longer version of the Chaparral while KEEPING it´s thin bladestock??

Post by vivi »

I'd like to see more 2mm Spydercos. I'd like a 2mm enuff.

Take a look at the Centofante 3 & 4 if you haven't. Different ergos to be sure, but it's bigger and still 2mm.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Re: Poll: Interested in a longer version of the Chaparral while KEEPING it´s thin bladestock??

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:15 pm

Take a look at the Centofante 3 & 4 if you haven't. Different ergos to be sure, but it's bigger and still 2mm.
Thanks! In fact I OWNED a Centofante 3 once.. didn´t like the hollow- / sabre grind. Was thinking of more FFG blades in 2mm, maybe I´ll edit my poll consequently...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wish they'd do some "performance versions" of a lot of standard models. I'd buy a lot of them a second time if they were at least ground thinner at the edge but 2mm stock would be nice.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:23 pm
I wish they'd do some "performance versions" of a lot of standard models. I'd buy a lot of them a second time if they were at least ground thinner at the edge but 2mm stock would be nice.
For me it was just handling the Chap today and I immidiately became a new convert to thinner blade stock ;). Don´t understand why it is so rare.. maybe Spyderco (and other brands) are just afraid that unexperienced (first) users could do crazy things to their knifes, destroy or bend them and that would consequently ruin the reputation of the maker?!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:15 pm

Want to add: The Centofante for me was an amazing CUTTER, but not SLICER (so THROUGH stuff higher than the height of the blade, if you know what I mean); I think the sabregrind takes away a bit of the magic of thin bladestock
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I wouldn't be against a longer, laser slicer with the same blade stock. The KC exclusive Delica Pakkawood is more narrow than the standard Delica. Something to look into if your interested. It's definitely a slicey blade!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
As I noticed that you are very much into SE blades, may I ask: Any experiences how those perform and behave in such a thin bladestock? I am not aware of serrations in 2mm knifes at the moment.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:57 pm
I wouldn't be against a longer, laser slicer with the same blade stock. The KC exclusive Delica Pakkawood is more narrow than the standard Delica. Something to look into if your interested. It's definitely a slicey blade!
Thanks! That sounds great even more so as HAP40 is probably my favorite steel.
But: Are you sure about the thickness? KC lists it at 0.098, so same as the FRN Delica..
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP11WD ... -exclusive
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:04 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
But: Are you sure about the thickness? KC lists it at 0.098, so same as the FRN Delica..

I don't know about the Delica, but my clad HAP40 Manbug is definitely thinner than my other Manbugs.

Just measured it - the spine is exactly 2mm thick at the plunge grind.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

While I love the Chaparral, I'm not sure how well its handle would scale up. To be honest, my "ideal" Spyderco would be a Stretch (preferably the size of a 1st Gen Stretch 1) with a 2mm thick (or thinner) VG-10 blade. I figure that since I've used a K05 with its .15mm 4" blade daily, for years, there's no reason I can't handle a folder of similar thickness.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Long blades and ergonomic handles! Sign me up!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:13 pm
While I love the Chaparral, I'm not sure how well its handle would scale up. To be honest, my "ideal" Spyderco would be a Stretch (preferably the size of a 1st Gen Stretch 1) with a 2mm thick (or thinner) VG-10 blade. I figure that since I've used a K05 with its .15mm 4" blade daily, for years, there's no reason I can't handle a folder of similar thickness.
Thinking about it, I am with you 100 %
As I mentioned in a chat with you in another thread already, the Stretch one (which I prefer over the Stretch two) is my second favorite, maybe even my number one Spyderco of all. Great slicer as it is, but if the blade would be even thinner by one third... man!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:00 pm
Evil D wrote:
As I noticed that you are very much into SE blades, may I ask: Any experiences how those perform and behave in such a thin bladestock? I am not aware of serrations in 2mm knifes at the moment.

The thinnest I have is the Dragonfly Salt which is advertised at 2.5mm but it also has the highest and thinnest hollow grind of any Salt model I know of so the majority of the blade is pretty thin. My Autonomy is something like 2.5-2.75mm and it slices ok. It really depends a lot on what is being cut and if the blade will wedge into the material or if it will easily separate (double wall cardboard vs a cereal box for example).

The down side is, the thinner the blade means the shallower/shorter in height your serrations are cut, I'm guessing maybe they avoid that since with enough sharpening you could lose the definition of the serrations. If you picture how a blade that's ground extremely thin will have a very narrow bevel, you'd see a similarly narrow serration pattern and I could see that defined shape getting lost with enough sharpening. I can already see the serrations on my Autonomy getting smaller.

I would really like to see some thinner FFG/SE offerings as long as they don't fatten up the grind to accommodate SE. A SE Chaparral would be great but if they made the blade grind thicker towards the edge then it would defeat the purpose. Losing the serration definition is a risk I'm willing to take.
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I voted for the first choice "Yes, I´d like to see a longer version of the Chaparral while KEEPING it´s overall thinness (both blade stock and handle)".

After a year of HEAVY buying and selling of Spydercos to find that elusive grail knife, the Chap LW has surprising become my current favorite. I say "surprisingly" because I can be a Country of Origin snob sometimes, and I didn't expect a Made in Taiwan knife to be my favorite, but man was I wrong
!

I love the thinness of the blade as well as the overall thinness. I LOVE the FRN pattern and feel more than any of the other FRN knives. And wire clips are my personal favorite as well. My grail right now would be a Chap LW Salt in LC200N. Would love a yellow/satin version and a TiCN/DLC coated blacked out version as well.

I would like to see a Chap LW XL at some point. Same thinness, same FRN pattern, same shape, just slightly larger.

Hats off to Sal for this amazing little blade. Definitely the most underrated knife in the whole lineup. Everyone should own at least one.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:32 pm
I voted for the first choice "Yes, I´d like to see a longer version of the Chaparral while KEEPING it´s overall thinness (both blade stock and handle)".

After a year of HEAVY buying and selling of Spydercos to find that elusive grail knife, the Chap LW has surprising become my current favorite. I say "surprisingly" because I can be a Country of Origin snob sometimes, and I didn't expect a Made in Taiwan knife to be my favorite, but man was I wrong
!

I love the thinness of the blade as well as the overall thinness. I LOVE the FRN pattern and feel more than any of the other FRN knives. And wire clips are my personal favorite as well. My grail right now would be a Chap LW Salt in LC200N. Would love a yellow/satin version and a TiCN/DLC coated blacked out version as well.

I would like to see a Chap LW XL at some point. Same thinness, same FRN pattern, same shape, just slightly larger.

Hats off to Sal for this amazing little blade. Definitely the most underrated knife in the whole lineup. Everyone should own at least one.
I am with you 100 %. NEVER thought this could happen (since I am more of a big knife guy), but after handling a chap LW today I KNOW that I´ve got to get one eventually.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:23 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:00 pm
Evil D wrote:

The thinnest I have is the Dragonfly Salt which is advertised at 2.5mm but it also has the highest and thinnest hollow grind of any Salt model I know of so the majority of the blade is pretty thin. My Autonomy is something like 2.5-2.75mm and it slices ok. It really depends a lot on what is being cut and if the blade will wedge into the material or if it will easily separate (double wall cardboard vs a cereal box for example).

The down side is, the thinner the blade means the shallower/shorter in height your serrations are cut, I'm guessing maybe they avoid that since with enough sharpening you could lose the definition of the serrations. If you picture how a blade that's ground extremely thin will have a very narrow bevel, you'd see a similarly narrow serration pattern and I could see that defined shape getting lost with enough sharpening. I can already see the serrations on my Autonomy getting smaller.

I would really like to see some thinner FFG/SE offerings as long as they don't fatten up the grind to accommodate SE. A SE Chaparral would be great but if they made the blade grind thicker towards the edge then it would defeat the purpose. Losing the serration definition is a risk I'm willing to take.
Thanks for your detailled reply! You made me intensly look for my only (partially) serrated knife, the Delica CE, so I could visually comprehend what you mean precisely ;) Couldn´t find it, it´s somewhere on my climbing-rack which I don´t need too much in wintertime.

To be honest: I do not fully understand why serrations have to be shallower in height if the blade is very thin.
In PE I get that an edge bevel of lets say 20 degree is shorter in height on a thinner blade than on thicker (or, better put maybe: The bevel is the shorter in height, the more acute the primary grind is) - but serrations? Couldn´t you cut those as high as you´d like?
I´ll think about it and illustrate it to myself as soon as my Delica CE is showing up...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Here's a side by side of the Chap LW and Delica Pakkawood. Pretty comparable.
P25OgRYh.jpg
PYUL1DAh.jpg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:52 pm
Wartstein wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Here's a side by side of the Chap LW and Delica Pakkawood. Pretty comparable.

P25OgRYh.jpg

PYUL1DAh.jpg
Well, that's right.. definitely thinner looking than the FRN Delica and more like the Chap.. probably KC just copx/paste the specs of the regular Delica on their site .
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:02 pm

To be honest: I do not fully understand why serrations have to be shallower in height if the blade is very thin.
In PE I get that an edge bevel of lets say 20 degree is shorter in height on a thinner blade than on thicker (or, better put maybe: The bevel is the shorter in height, the more acute the primary grind is) - but serrations? Couldn´t you cut those as high as you´d like?
I´ll think about it and illustrate it to myself as soon as my Delica CE is showing up...
A serration bevel is based on 1) angle and 2) how deep it's carved into the blade since it's chisel ground. You would only want to go so deep or the edge would end up off center of the blade. If you look at a full SE blade the chisel grind is slightly off center to compensate for this. I think part of the confusion here is that I was referring to a blade that's ground very thin at/behind the edge and not necessarily thin blade stock overall. If we're just talking about thinner blade stock then the rest of the blade grind leading to the edge and serrations can be as thick as or thin as you like, but thinner will reduce how wide you're able to make the serrations.
~David