The Spyderco "Tusk II"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

The Spyderco "Tusk II"

Post by The Meat man »

The recent thread about a serrated Tusk (and comments within) prompted me to start a new one: ideas for a new and improved Spyderco Tusk.

I like the sailor's knife design with the locking marlinspike. Unfortunately Spyderco is pretty much the only company to offer a high end model with premium materials and construction. (Unless you count the discontinued AG Russell Seamaster.) Moreover, the Tusk is the only model ever to be offered as a complete rust proof package.

I don't own one. They're not cheap, but I think if a new Tusk 2 came out with some modifications, I would go for it. Here are my thoughts:

1. Longer blade, maybe 3 to 4 inches.
2. Full flat grind
3. Combo edge with serrations on the FRONT half of the blade, toward the tip. This would function almost as a hawkbill in keeping material being cut from sliding off the end while still leaving the back half PE for detail cutting.

I'm not a knife designer, but if Spyderco could incorporate these suggestions into a new Tusk model, I'd buy it.

What are your thoughts?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
God'sMyJudge

Re: The Spyderco "Tusk II"

Post by God'sMyJudge »

I'd be interested in this. I have the AG Russel you mentioned in stainless steel and vg10, and the blade on that one is terrific. Would love to see the tusk with a similar sized blade.

Honestly the AG Russel blade reminds me a lot of the delica wharncliffe. Just slap that thing in the tusk handle and let's go.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Full SE, FRN, no slippery ball lock - something else.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:43 am
Full SE, FRN, no slippery ball lock - something else.
Agree completely. Yes.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

3.5 inch blade and marlin spike with double compression locks ;)

That would push me over the edge.
It would probablyreplace my Caribbean, as I already carry a fixed marlin spike in my tool bag at work. It's a handy tool on land the same as on a boat.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

id be allover this - hence i started the mentioned thread - i hate the FRN but it would probably be the most fit for purpose, i think the Ti gives it a very upmarket look and therefore would probably suit a few so maybe 2 versions-
Deffo on the longer blade which would make a CE more feasable if not an SE - ive not tried the ball lock so cant offer comment but think it looks class - compression lock would work for me tho
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Why not a button lock for the spike? I agree, 3.5-4' blade with some amount of serrations.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!