Deep carry pocket clips

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bagsnatcher

Deep carry pocket clips

Post by bagsnatcher »

@sal:

I'm partial to deep carry clips (Lynch NW / MXG Gear) and have spent a hefty sum to put them on my Spydercos.

Have you thought about offering something similar straight from the factory? This could be an accessory (much like the lanyard beads & trinkets available), finished like the normal pocket clips. Material could be steel or titanium. I'd be spending this coin with Spyderco, instead of the other outfits.

Thank you.
Zatx

Re: Deep carry pocket clips

Post by Zatx »

There are about nine gagillion threads along this line on these forums and Spyderco stubbornly holds on to their 1980's pocket clip design.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Zatx wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:37 pm
Spyderco stubbornly holds on to their 1980's pocket clip design.
Good :)
:unicorn
Crux

Post by Crux »

It's time to revolt and go clipless until we get our way!
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
archangel

Post by archangel »

And only recently Sal himself replied directly to a similar request that they leave the DC clip business to the fine companies that specialize in it.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:01 pm
Zatx wrote:
Agree.

Spyderco is in the business of making knives and very good ones at that.

We see enough "complaints, whinges, bitches and moans" on here and other forums about delays to market
of products AND numerous comments about this knife would be good in this steel etc etc.

And you seriously want to add more pressure of design and manufacturing into the mix by adding another couple of variables
of deep carry clips - WHEN the product you want is readily available off the shelf already from a few places - places which
support Spyderco and Spyderco support them. Spyderco isn't about to shxt in it's own backyard !

Added to that the $$$ involved in the added inventory needing to be held for what is
probably not a high percentage of Spyderco users.

To me, this "Spyderco should offer XYZ" is just because people don't want to spend a few more $$$ on customizing their knives.

Sal has already said what's what, isn't that indication enough ?
I sometimes wonder whether some people need hitting on the head with a baseball bat for them to understand.

A smart business knife reseller would set up a relationship with a few of suppliers of DCC and add these as a bundle to a knife
so they are all purchased from the one place - make them even more of a destination experience which is what retail is about.
Last edited by 500Nitro on Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Dang, that was a short revolt. :(
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

This has been up and answered, spyderco don't want to take business from aftermarket clipsuppliers.
Most companies wouldn't care and I deeply respect spyderco for doing so.
In my opinion they would have no problem supplying customers with deep carry clips for every model and This would not be an expense they would have to carry, as People would gladly pay a little extra.
And that is why I can do nothing but admire the decicion.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Tims

Post by Tims »

I’m all for a factory deep carry option but the topic seems to trigger non deep carry people pretty hard. So unless Sal himself is taking a poll of support, I’ll leave it alone
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

Tims wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:00 pm
I’m all for a factory deep carry option but the topic seems to trigger non deep carry people pretty hard. So unless Sal himself is taking a poll of support, I’ll leave it alone
Yikes.

I've been summarily put in my place.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Vivi wrote:
Zatx wrote:

Double good. I like Spyderco’s clips. Deep carry are just freakin’ homely. Just my opinion, of course. Also, you’re not hiding anything with a deep carry clip. Of all the Spydies, only the Para 3 needs work, but not a new clip - the same clip moved back a bit.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Yes, and reduce the size of that monster lanyard hole. The clip is solved by MXG but then the lanyard hole is pretty much unusable.

So, the Deep Pocket Clip Revolution has been brutally put down. Maybe we can switch to the Reduce The Lanyard Hole Revolution? I'm ready to march on Golden. Who's with me?

Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

😂
I shared my views on lanyard holes in the last "deep carry thread" but i agree.. Pocket clips are a easy fix,, a gaping hole trough your handle is worse..
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:35 pm
Vivi wrote:
Zatx wrote:

Double good. I like Spyderco’s clips. Deep carry are just freakin’ homely. Just my opinion, of course. Also, you’re not hiding anything with a deep carry clip. Of all the Spydies, only the Para 3 needs work, but not a new clip - the same clip moved back a bit.
Triple good.

That said, I did put a small deep carry on my para 3 and it made a world of difference for me. I enjoy carrying it now. Other than that one, I have never had an issue with any of Spyderco's clips.
Tims

Post by Tims »

bagsnatcher wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:19 pm
Tims wrote:
Yikes.

Haha, I’m on your side mate! I want a deep carry option but check the most recent clip thread for how well the idea was received.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I’ve seen a few counterfeit spydercos coming out with deep carry clips-
I when I’m looking for one I’ll pick one of them up- I’m not paying $50 for an mxg or Lynch clip.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Daveho wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:19 pm
I when I’m looking for one I’ll pick one of them up- I’m not paying $50 for an mxg or Lynch clip.
I pay $25 for a MXG titanium clip. Where are you shopping?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Titanium-D ... SwHBdbItFz

Plus, how many do you have to buy? I only buy them for my carry Para 3s but I seem to okay with the other Spyderco knife clips. In addition to the Para 3 I carry an Endura as well and a Salt 2 in my pocket so I guess my only gripe is about the fabled and world renowned Para 3.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Crux wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:20 pm
Daveho wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:19 pm
I pay $25 for a MXG titanium clip. Where are you shopping?
You're not factoring in shipping and import duties to people outside of the US.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

bagsnatcher wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:19 pm
Tims wrote:
Yikes.

Don't take it personally. There's a cult like portion of the membership here that takes anything Sal says as if it comes from the lips of a deity. On the other hand in a very recent thread on this topic a long time member posted a pic of his Delica (or was it an Endura?) with a Benchmade deep carry clip. I've purchased MXG clips for higher end Ti scale knives. I'm not spending an extra $25 for a clip on a sub $100 knife. I think I'll call Benchmade tomorrow and see how much they charge for deep carry clips, now that I know they fit one of the most common Spyderco hole patterns.
Tims

Post by Tims »

It’s true. I’m in Australia and the last titanium deep carry clip I bought for my native was 60 odd AUD delivered :/ Thats around 1/2 the price of a new Endura. I only bought it because I wouldn’t carry a bright orange Native without a deep carry clip.