Shipping of internal parts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Post by Pelagic »

I wonder how other knife companies are able to supply parts. I can truly see the reasons why spyderco doesn't want to, but at the end of the day, WANT is the key word. And I'm not talking about freebies. That could really get out of hand.

MichaelScott, no need to remind me that I'm beating a dead horse or that any points I raise have already been addressed, I get it. Lol. But deckeda certainly has a valid opinion, and it's not redundant to see the same point brought up more than once, because if nothing else, it's good to see how many people desire SOME parts availability, especially those who understand what it would take for Spyderco to do so and are willing to pay top dollar.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pelagic,

We do some parts. I think we make more models than other companies, in more places, with more parts exclusive to particular models. We also CQI many of our models so part made now wont fit older models.

sal
Wolf Hedegaard

Post by Wolf Hedegaard »

Ok, thanks Sal.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

The only parts I really have an interest in purchasing without sending my knife in for maintenance are clips, clip screws, and lockbar inserts. I can get 2 of the 3 of these so I'm happy. Honestly, I shouldn't need to buy lockbar inserts, I just kind of want to.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

A while ago I accidentally dropped my Military and the blade started hugging the clip side. Unfortunately this knife was one of those affected by the red loctite fiasco. I decided to take the knife apart and re-apply blue loctite. I managed to unscrew all the screws successfully apart from one pivot screw that I stripped in my haste. I wrote to customer service and they very kindly sent me a new pivot screw. In the mean time I was left with no other choice than to drill out the stripped screw. Unfortunately when done there was not enough of the screw left to unscrew it from the pivot barrel, the red loctite doesn't help either. Again I wrote to customer service but this time I received a firm "no", response and that Spyderco do not ship internal parts. Shipping the knife to Golden is going to cost me at least $50 and the same again for Spyderco to send it back to me. At this time of year there will be postal delays so it could be months before my knife is returned and if it's not lost (I have lost 2 knives in the last year) it will probably be inspected by customs and I'll be forced to pay duties again. Sending me the part would cost about $1 and would eliminate all the extra b/s.

I suggest that having a black and white policy regarding parts is a bit naive. I know there are people who try to play the system but in genuine cases (especially overseas cases) it might be an idea to check the details of the case and make a judgement based on the information. It might be an idea to make some type of customer service PDF form that people can fill in when they make a claim so the people responsible have all the info they need i.e.Address, Model SKU, detailed description of issue etc. Also these days it's so easy to take pics, so submitting photo's of damaged parts should be mandatory.

I now understand why people come onto the forum with their cs gripes and sympathise with their frustrations it can feel pretty maddening. Unfortunately I will not be sending my knife in so it will go to live in the junk drawer, the pivot being "pivotal", pardon the pun, to the use of the knife.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

Johnnie1801 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:56 am
A while ago I accidentally dropped my Military and the blade started hugging the clip side. Unfortunately this knife was one of those affected by the red loctite fiasco. I decided to take the knife apart and re-apply blue loctite. I managed to unscrew all the screws successfully apart from one pivot screw that I stripped in my haste. I wrote to customer service and they very kindly sent me a new pivot screw. In the mean time I was left with no other choice than to drill out the stripped screw. Unfortunately when done there was not enough of the screw left to unscrew it from the pivot barrel, the red loctite doesn't help either. Again I wrote to customer service but this time I received a firm "no", response and that Spyderco do not ship internal parts. Shipping the knife to Golden is going to cost me at least $50 and the same again for Spyderco to send it back to me. At this time of year there will be postal delays so it could be months before my knife is returned and if it's not lost (I have lost 2 knives in the last year) it will probably be inspected by customs and I'll be forced to pay duties again. Sending me the part would cost about $1 and would eliminate all the extra b/s.

I suggest that having a black and white policy regarding parts is a bit naive. I know there are people who try to play the system but in genuine cases (especially overseas cases) it might be an idea to check the details of the case and make a judgement based on the information. It might be an idea to make some type of customer service PDF form that people can fill in when they make a claim so the people responsible have all the info they need i.e.Address, Model SKU, detailed description of issue etc. Also these days it's so easy to take pics, so submitting photo's of damaged parts should be mandatory.

I now understand why people come onto the forum with their cs gripes and sympathise with their frustrations it can feel pretty maddening. Unfortunately I will not be sending my knife in so it will go to live in the junk drawer, the pivot being "pivotal", pardon the pun, to the use of the knife.
Next time Dremel out a flathead into the screw to be able to use a flat head screwdriver on it, also boil some water and as soon as the boil dies down soak the knife in the water to loosen the locktite, has been my fix in the past, sorry it happened that way
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
Conan

Post by Conan »

I also live abroad and it would be very convenient that simple replacement parts could be shipped. Everyone can strip a screw on a bad day. Or have a defect in the BBL of a Manix.
Of course I would be willing to pay for that.
Sending a knife in to Spyderco from Europe and paying the shipping costs twice is simply to expensive.
Shipping simple replacement parts to a customer would be much cheaper and faster. Especially if you put the parts in a jiffy bag or sturdy envelope will keep the shipping costs low. Only a few dollars.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

once again, this notion has been thoroughly discussed from all aspects. it’s all in this thread. if you haven’t read it, doing so might shed some significant light on your opinion.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Conan,

We've been taking care of our customers one way or another.

sal
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

sal wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:06 pm
Hi Conan,

We've been taking care of our customers one way or another.

sal
This has been my experience so far, living far from US.
Chris :spyder:
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

If it was my company, I'd conduct my CQI efforts in such a fashion that the sheer number of different parts is reduced. I believe military's and pm2's share a lot of common parts now, for example. I liked when I saw the bigger hardware on the CQI Military. I would make similar changes, upgrading certain models by giving them parts shared with the models we viewed as near-perfect from a CQI standpoint. I believe there should be an eventual cost benefit to standardization of parts down the road. Imagine there only being 3 types of screws, 2 types of washers, 2 types of pivots, 2 types of springs, etc. That is probably impractical and unfeasible, but that's what I would shoot for. Because even if I didn't plan on having a parts shipping policy any time soon, I'd like to keep my options open. So if I can improve certain models through standardizing certain parts, cut costs slightly, make things simpler, and entertain the thought of shipping parts in the future, why not? Sometimes the company itself could benefit from CQI, not just the products they produce (not insinuating spyderco is in need of improvement).

I wonder if Spyderco already has this in mind. The CQI military/PM2 is a good example. The concept of supplying parts is obviously complicated, and simplifying it would take time. But if they could move in that direction while cutting costs and improving certain models, it may be worth it. Then one day it might not be such a daunting task. Not to mention, certain changes such as the bigger hardware on the CQI military probably reduce the chances of someone stripping a screw, which reduces demand for parts, further simplifying the issue.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

So you’d be designing and building knives to fit a future parts compatibility standard. Puts an unnecessary constraint on knife design freedom and pretty much says we don’t build creative knives we make standard parts.

No.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:19 pm
So you’d be designing and building knives to fit a future parts compatibility standard. Puts an unnecessary constraint on knife design freedom and pretty much says we don’t build creative knives we make standard parts.

No.
What is your problem? This thread is riddled with you harassing people. Grow up.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle »

jpm2 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:49 pm
Model # should be on the box.
Counterfeit shouldn't matter? if the customer is paying for the parts?
"Counterfeit" does matter if the parts you receive DON'T FIT !!!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:16 pm
MichaelScott wrote:

No.
What is your problem? This thread is riddled with you harassing people. Grow up.
Don’t like people who don’t agree with your ideas? Too bad. It’s a discussion forum. Feel harassed? My response to your post isn’t harassment it is disagreement.

Your response reminds me of spoiled college students who try to intimidate anyone with a different opinion.

Team Innovation
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:04 am
Pelagic wrote:
MichaelScott wrote:

No.
Don’t like people who don’t agree with your ideas? Too bad. It’s a discussion forum. Feel harassed? My response to your post isn’t harassment it is disagreement.

Your response reminds me of spoiled college students who try to intimidate anyone with a different opinion.
Oh, the irony. You have constantly attempted to shut down any and all opinions in this thread that don't mirror your own. How is that fueling discussion? You're obviously the one who can't stand the existence of differing opinions. Around 7 times you've told people that they are wrong, that they're beating a dead horse, or that they haven't read the entire thread (and if they had, they wouldn't have posted). No one can express their desire for spare parts or even literature on the dimensions of said parts without you coming in to passionately oppose their view. And no, I don't feel harassed personally, but what I said stands. All I said was "if it were my company..." how is that claiming anything is right or wrong? How am I, by any stretch of the imagination, telling spyderco what to do? How am I claiming that my opinion means more than anyone else's? It's not, I'm not, and I'm not. Why can't you just allow the discussion to take place? You're the one being rude. If nothing else, when people express their opinion on this matter, Sal gets an idea as to how many people desire parts availability. I don't know what your problem is, but it would be nice if you'd demonstrate a bit more common decency.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

I hamfisted the disassembly of a Para 3 to put Micarta scales on it (marred the lanyard tube and one of the standoffs that wouldn't come loose with a set of fine pliers).

Operationally, the knife is flawless (and the Micarta feels exceptional in hand, warm and almost organic, unlike CF/G10/Ti/Al).

Aesthetically, the knife is driving me insane; it's a constant reminder of my ineptitude.

It would be very nice indeed if I could order a lanyard tube and a standoff for my knife. I'd gladly pay for the part, and the shipping.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Bullwinkle wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:31 am
jpm2 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:49 pm
Model # should be on the box.
Counterfeit shouldn't matter? if the customer is paying for the parts?
"Counterfeit" does matter if the parts you receive DON'T FIT !!!
I would hope the parts don't fit.
I figure if you have a counterfeit knife and the parts don't fit, that's on you.
Although, I guess there should be some verification the knife in question is genuine before parts are sent.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

jpm2 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:44 pm
I guess there should be some verification the knife in question is genuine before parts are sent.
Absolutely. Imagine if an authentic spyderco blade could fit into a fake. People would try to swap authentic spyderco blades into counterfeit models to save money (and probably sell them online as "authentic"). This would absolutely hurt spyderco. The customer would have to send the knife in and pay a good bit for a replacement blade plus shipping (just an example).
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:34 am
MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:04 am
Pelagic wrote:
MichaelScott wrote:

No.

Oh, the irony. You have constantly attempted to shut down any and all opinions in this thread that don't mirror your own. How is that fueling discussion? You're obviously the one who can't stand the existence of differing opinions. Around 7 times you've told people that they are wrong, that they're beating a dead horse, or that they haven't read the entire thread (and if they had, they wouldn't have posted). No one can express their desire for spare parts or even literature on the dimensions of said parts without you coming in to passionately oppose their view. And no, I don't feel harassed personally, but what I said stands. All I said was "if it were my company..." how is that claiming anything is right or wrong? How am I, by any stretch of the imagination, telling spyderco what to do? How am I claiming that my opinion means more than anyone else's? It's not, I'm not, and I'm not. Why can't you just allow the discussion to take place? You're the one being rude. If nothing else, when people express their opinion on this matter, Sal gets an idea as to how many people desire parts availability. I don't know what your problem is, but it would be nice if you'd demonstrate a bit more common decency.
You should work on your reading comprehension. I’ve never told people to stop posting their opinions. I merely don’t agree with some, including yours, and say why. You are free to rebut.

Discuss, agree, disagree but don’t be an insulting brat.

Regards.

Team Innovation