What were the biggest changes to your EDC habits in 2018?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
5-by-5

Re: What were the biggest changes to your EDC habits in 2018?

Post by 5-by-5 »

I'm a big blade guy, but I've been carrying 3" alot more last year
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

In 2017 dropped the Paramilitary 2 and went to Para3 developed a keen appreciation for nearly the same cutting ability in a smaller more conservative package.

In 2018 grew frustrated with a short blade cut my hands a few times being to close to the material being sliced. Cardboard can become very sharp when cut with a sharp knife at an angle. Hard plastic packaging hurts also.

Went back to the Para2 for a while but was never satisfied and decided to get my first Military in CTS-204P.

Now I had the length I wanted and decided to branch out into more Serrated and partly Serrated versions and use this as my platform for testing the different steels I decided this would be the year to really change things up and I have EDC’d more different models of Spyderco in 2018 than ever before after giving up on finding that one perfect blade.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I got into Spydercos! And nice knives generally. For the first time. It's been weird...
I've carried a knife ever since I can remember but it was never a big deal which. I saved my aesthetic observations for watches or maybe bikes.
But having an interest in swords got me interested in blade steels, and construction, which then made me think, could I have a better knife? Or a less crappy one?
I started with a benchmade. It was nice but i found thumbstuds hard to open after a hand injury. I then thought, those spydercos... and tried one.

Now I have 2 Delicas, a Dragonfly, a Positron, a Native, an Endura, Military, Paramilitary2, and a Para3, in addition to a few others.

The irony is most days what do I carry? My old beat up delica lol.
But I do want another Delica. Just to have two regular ones in addition to the warnecliff. Maybe zdp. Maybe just a diff handle.
BTW I use the knives at work for opening stuff and when hiking / biking in the woods, and when I do have to use them i appreciate having a good knife and a good edge, compared to the crumby (ahem, "frost cutlery") stuff I grew up with...
Lonerider
ps. happy new year, rock on dudes.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:21 am
I went from a Nitecore TIP to a Fenix UC35 because I work an outdoor night shift where I need a good light.
It is hard to go back to a AA, never mind a AAA flashlight after carrying an 18650 powered light!

I own four BLF-A6 lights, and just yesterday ordered two Convoy S2+ out of China, just to see what they are all about. Both are highly regarded and well priced lights. The flashlight thing can be maybe worse than knives.

But I guess I am hijacking the thread. I don't really think much has changed in my EDC habits, except that I carry a wider variety of knives. A military or police 4 one day, then a para 3 the next, then switch to the Gayle Bradley or even a fixed blade in certain situations. Variety is the spice of life.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

vilePossum wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:00 am
Switching back to a SAK as my edc choice. Cause anything else is overkill and overrated for my personal situation. Even spydercos and sebenza.
It is nice to own nice knives. But at the end of the day I realized that a SAK provides me with more value and usability at a fraction of the cost.

Interesting but ... I had the same experience. Not that I imposed to myself to edc a SAK but at the end of the day I realized that I just use my worn Spartan more than any other folder. SAKs just work ! They are so versatile ... I only wish they used a clip point style blade instead of a drop point one... sometimes one need to pierce something ...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

Smaller folders are all I want and as such, most of my collection has been boxed up for eventual sale.

The Rhino and the Brouwer along with the Lil Native seem to be all I need for most cutting.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Migrated to Great Eastern Cutlery slip joints. Have a #14 Northfield Lick Creek Boys Knife with antique bone scale covers, a #78 American Jack in Cocobolo and a #82 Dixie Stickman 3 blade in bone.

I am captivated by the quality of these hand made traditional American patterns knives.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

For New Years I decided to carry folders much less, and carry my fixed blades more.

I have 2 Bradford Guardians and 2 Winkler knives that are going to get a workout.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well VIVI I've pretty much stayed the course that I've been on for about the past two the three years. I've always gone with the old cliche " If It Isn't Broke Then Let's Not Try To Fix It".

I usually have one of my top 2 or 3 favorite plain edged blades I rotate. Then I also carry a full Spyderedged companion blade which most of the time is one of the fully serrated Spyderco Hawkbills,. I also have a couple of Spyderco Sheepfoot full SE blades>> but the one I like the best is an old Spyder out of the ATS-55 era that I have carried off an on for years which is the Stainless Handled RESCUE model.

That Stainless RESCUE out of the ATS-55 era is built like a Sherman Tank and works just about as good on most cutting jobs I used it on.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:37 pm
I've always gone with the old cliche " If It Isn't Broke Then Let's Not Try To Fix It".
I have always gone with, "If it ain't broke, let's get busy and fix it!"
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I’ve been drifting more towards carrying smaller and thinner knives (<=3 inch), slip joints and back locks, and in waistband carry.

I.e.:
Victorinox alox Cadet instead of Pioneer
Chaparral, Pits, UKPK are carried often instead of the Manix, PM2, Military
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:28 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:37 pm
I've always gone with the old cliche " If It Isn't Broke Then Let's Not Try To Fix It".
I have always gone with, "If it ain't broke, let's get busy and fix it!"
That's what crazy people say. :eek:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:06 pm
I’ve been drifting more towards carrying smaller and thinner knives (<=3 inch), slip joints and back locks, and in waistband carry.

I.e.:
Victorinox alox Cadet instead of Pioneer
Chaparral, Pits, UKPK are carried often instead of the Manix, PM2, Military
Give the Baby Horn a shot. It's fantastic.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
anycal

Post by anycal »

My EDC requirements stayed pretty constant. Had some minor changes in 'most used per category',

- small - Naitve 5 M4 and Chaparral CF bumped the Mantra and Caly 3 HAP40
- medium - PM2s CRUWEAR replaced the PM2 M390
- large - Military Ti/CF S90V topped the Military 204P

Last edited by anycal on Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Biggest change for me has been bigger Spydies (Military, Police, Calypso).
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

The Sharpmaker has been the biggest change to my EDC habits. I’ve had a knife in my pocket since I was a little kid and I’ve never enjoyed them more since I started sharpening my own knives! Every single knife that goes in my pocket is scary sharp and I really like that.

I bought a used Mili from someone and they had put an amazing edge on it...the sharpest knife I had ever held in my hand. This inspired me to learn how to sharpen my own knives and I haven’t looked back. The $35 Tenacious I carry on occasion is substantialy sharper than any $300 knife I had in my pocket before I started sharpening my own blades.
The Sharpmaker with all the stones and a good strop...happy days.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
fkmtb07

Post by fkmtb07 »

My EDC choices have narrowed down significantly to a few knives/tools I really enjoy and use frequently. The folders I've carried regularly are my Spyderco Salt 2 SE, Benchmade Bugout and lately my new Native 5 Salt (slowly making the Salt 2 redundant, so it might find its way out of my daily carry).

I also started carrying a Vic Classic in my pocket almost daily. I like pocket carrying these tiny multitools because I don't always have my keys w/ me.

Being content with few objects is an overall theme in my life over the past year. I have a lot of hobbies but a cross-country move into a smaller house really put things into focus, so now my gear is pretty dialed in for each activity with not a lot of extra stuff lying around that doesn't get used regularly. One mountain bike, one road-ish bike (cyclocross), one surfboard, pretty minimalist do-it-all backpacking/hiking/camping setup, etc. I'm getting to a point where my gear serves me, not the other way around. I still regularly get the itch tho for sure!!
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

anycal wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:39 pm
My EDC requirements stayed pretty constant. Had some minor changes in 'most used per category',

- small - Naitve 5 M4 and Chaparral CF bumped the Mantra and Caly 3 HAP40
- medium - PM2s CRUWEAR replaced the PM2 M390
- large - Military Ti/CF S90V topped the Military 204P

can i ask why the change to cruwear from m390?

Changed from SAK to Single blade folders - carried the delica for months but since i went para3 i cant go back to back lock, now switched to PM2 for handle ergo's and sold the Para - considering trying the techno2 just to reduce carry size and to see if im fooling myself re: ergo's ( cant afford a small seb and i prefer a spydy - isnt that why we are here?!)
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Not too many changes in 2018...

- carried smaller knifes like the Native a little more often (generally I prefer longer blades)
- Did not carry my Leatherman Juice on person all the time, but put it in a pack when I had one with me..

That´s about it..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
anycal

Post by anycal »

bigboned wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:21 pm

can i ask why the change to cruwear from m390?

Lost my M390 with CF scales horsing around in a river. Currently sitting somewhere on the bottom of Arroyo Seco. It was my oldest PM2 - BBS exclusive with CF scales swapped from the 52100. So no reason really, other than loosing it.

I have a few PM2s, as it is my favorite model. The CRUWEAR gets used the most right now. If you ask me in few months, it could be my new 204P. Other than grabbing specific steel for specific task (stainless vs non-stainless), as long as it is sharp, any of my PM2s will do on any given day.
Peter