Knives you wish you could like

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tims

Knives you wish you could like

Post by Tims »

I’m sitting here relentlessly flipping a para 2. It has the highest fiddle factor of probably any knife I own.

Yet

I just can’t get to liking it enough to carry. It usually lives in a drawer, I pull it out every once in a while and I always end up wondering what it is exactly that keeps me from carrying it.

I bought it years ago after a few years out of the game. One day I was curious what the knife scene was doing and to my surprise I saw that the Australian import laws had relaxed. All the cool knives that I could only dream of owning were now fair game. So like a dog unsure of its next meal, I bought the only Para 2 my regular vendor had in stock. A satin blade digi camo.

I’m not a fan of camo but pulled the trigger anyway, lest the powers that be change their minds and close the borders again and I miss out.

I carried it for a while but had some chipping issues with the s30v. After that I put it away and it’s never made it’s way back into my pocket.

Still, camo and s30v isn’t enough to kill the dream. There are countless variations available now.

The handles a bit too thick
The blades a bit too short for the handle and I’m not in love with upswept tip.

But the ergos are perfect and the compression lock is a nice break from my beloved backlocks.

With all that said, I’m thinking about rolling the dice on another one. This time, optioned the way I want. Theres a chance I’ll regret it but I just can’t write it off.

So, to those who managed to read through that drivel I ask, is there a particular model that you want to like but for whatever reason, just can’t?
TomAiello

Re: Knives you wish you could like

Post by TomAiello »

For me it's the PM2. Everyone seems to love it, but it just doesn't work for me. The Manix 2 is about a hundred times better for me. The Military fits my hand better than the PM2 (and gets pocket time as well). I've tried several PM2s, in some of my favorite steels (I have one in m390 for example) and I just can't get into it.

Even stranger, the PM3 is a great fit for my hand. The PM2 just doesn't feel right, but the PM3 fits me like a glove.
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

The manix 2, owned the pm2 and Benchmade griptillian, and thought I would love the manix 2, but after getting it, wasn't too happy with it unfortunately
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Not with Spyderco: Every mode I thought I'd like, I did when getting it in hand, sometimes even more than expected.
For me your "PM2" is the Esee Laserstrike. Really want to like it, thought I would, but it just does too bad in whittling and edge holding.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I can understand (conceptually) peoples' issues with the PM2, but I for one am quite glad I don't have that problem! :) For me, it's the Manix. The ergo's are great, but I'm just not digging the blade geometry.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Manix 2 CBBL, no doubt. Only kept the blue scale distributor special. I tried to get on the hype train twice but fell off :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

If I liked any more knives I’d have to start carrying 3 at a time.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i couldn’t get on board with the pm2 either. i just don’t find it as ergonomic as the manix. it’s interesting how people seem to be in one camp or the other.

i also wish i could like the caribbean. maybe because i’ve never held one, but i just can’t get past the looks. in theory, it sounds like the perfect knife for me, but it’s not attractive to me at all.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

A few of the smaller knives (smaller than Endura). Admittedly I have rarely handled them as shops here don't carry them
but never had a good run with more dainty knives.

Spyderco Caribbean - I like it but something about the handle puts me off until I see one in the hand.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
ferider

Post by ferider »

• The most recent disappointment is the Amalgam. Very well build, size should be perfect, but I just don't jell with it. And I rationally don't understand.
  • The ATR2. Forgive me fans, but this one does feel like a gas station knife; and it could be just the sound of the thick teflon washers that I don't like.
Then again, it goes the other way, too:
  • It's a funny thing with the PM3: clearly too small for my hands and EDC. But then I have an M390 copy on my workshop table that gets used more than any other of my knives.
  • I did not expect much from the Caribbean. But boy what a cool knife that is (leaf).
Roland.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Endura 4.

This would be a perfect small knife for EDC for me if the handle shape was the same as the Endura 3. Moving the finger grooves around ruined the ergonomics for me.

This model gets all sorts of cool sprints I don't get to enjoy because of the handle. Instead I stick with Pacific Salts.
:unicorn
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

PM2 and the military aswell-
Had a few of each at this point and while I like em while I have them I can’t help but move em on for greener pastures.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ferider wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:26 am

Then again, it goes the other way, too:
  • It's a funny thing with the PM3: clearly too small for my hands and EDC. But then I have an M390 copy on my workshop table that gets used more than any other of my knives.
  • I did not expect much from the Caribbean. But boy what a cool knife that is (leaf).
Roland.
"The other way round" is a whole different story (and there was a thread adressing this recently? Something like "knifes you did not expect to like but did"?)
Just ONE example: The Shaman. Do not own one but got to handle it. Absolutely NOT my kind of knife (quite heavy, thick blade stock, short cutting edge for the overall length), but man, I really, REALLY like this knife though I never expected that. Feels just perfect in hand.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

PM2 and Delica.
I hate the compression lock. I've had 6 PM2s but I'm down to one. Only because I love jade and M4.
I've had several Delica and gotten rid of all but one. Likely due to Boomer grips.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:22 am
Manix 2 CBBL, no doubt. I tried to get on the hype train twice but fell off :)
Me too but 3 times. Love the ergos, hate the lock. Yet I love the axis lock lol.
Also can't fall in love with a spyderco RIL no matter how many of them I buy. Previously hated spyderco flippers but I absolutely love my Mantra 3.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Tims

Post by Tims »

It looks like many of you have ‘pm2s of your own.

The smart thing to do would be to move on and save my money. We’ll see. Fingers crossed Spyderco drops some new releases soon to make the decision easier.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I really wish I could like Manix LW models since I would have finally experienced Maxamet many months ago. But since it has pinned construction, no liners, and the FRN feels like you're holding sanded Lego's, I just can't bring myself to do it. I don't even think I'd pay $100 for one (taking resale out of the equation). That's how much I prefer liners + g10/micarta.

Holding out for the Maxamet pm2.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

The Lil’ Native is one of those knives that I REALLY want to like! I mean, S30v steel, G10, 2.5 inch blade and it is made in Golden, CO. Everything that I love but when I went to handle one it didn’t feel as comfortable as my Dragonfly2. It seemed harder to open than my Dragonfly2. So, the Dragnofly is in my pocket and the Lil’ Native stayed at the store. Very disappointing for me.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

The Manix and the Stretch. Gorgeous knives both, a wonderful array of colors and bladesteels, lightweight, flatground, awesome -- but the ergos don't gel with my hands at all. Was so disappointed in both cases.

But then again, maybe that's for the best, because:
zhyla wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:37 am
If I liked any more knives I’d have to start carrying 3 at a time.

And I'm happy with the other Spyderco models I've found. :)
anycal

Post by anycal »

I’m no stranger to having multiple of a model if I like it enough. I only have one Para 3...
Peter