Would you be interested in a Spyderco Hudson Bay camp knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Yes
32%
No
40%
Depends on the specs
28%

Total votes: 57

vivi

Post by vivi »

In the 16th century Delica thread I mentioned the Hudson Bay Camp Knife pattern.

It's a nice general purpose design that can do a little bit of everything. A real jack of all trades design. They can chop up veggies for dinner, clean game, build a shelter, split some firewood, make feathersticks, hack through some light brush, etc.

Here is the Bark River version:

Here's the post I made, which shares some background info on the pattern, and shows off more versions of it.
Vivi wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:58 am
...From what I've read, this pattern was popular with trappers, hunters and frontiersmen in Canada & the US during the 1600's & 1700's. Specifically the Hudson Bay & Great Lakes areas. This was a large camp knife that would be used for skinning game, cutting food, light brush clearing and probably self defense. They were made in Sheffield, England for the HBC.

The knife is a fixed blade with a clip point variation and gently concaved handle with a rounded butt. The blades are typically full flat ground simple carbon steel with a thin spine, making them fairly light for their size. Blades generally 6-9," but I've seen 4" to 14". Handles are most commonly wood.

Here's some examples:

Two of unknown origin from a Fur Trade museum

Bark River

Sheffield

Custom (ML Knives)

Condor (Tempted to buy this one actually)

In fact the camp knife I bought for myself recently is basically a modern interpretation of this pattern.
I'd like to see Spydercos take on this classic.
:unicorn
Larry_Mott

Re: Would you be interested in a Spyderco Hudson Bay camp knife?

Post by Larry_Mott »

I'd love to see Spyderco's take on it but i suspect i'd end up with the Condor, unless they come close enough in price (not likely)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Timely topic: I’ve been looking at these:
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/ ... teel/30189
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I have Swedish forum/FB group friends who use the Skrama (and new Mini Skrama) they are very happy with them generally.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Great that you started the poll indeed! Voted "yes", would be really interested in a Spydieverson of this design. Wonder what sort of steel they would choose. Would hope nothing TOO soft, though in that kind of knife toughness is more of a concern than edge holding.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

After the Ankerson/Sanders camp knife and Skrama that L-M mentioned (great, not too expensive camp tool), I don't have a need for another largish camp knife. I actually have a bunch of knives that fit the bill, and although I like the overall design and the BR are nice looking, as much as I like everything Spyderco makes, this would not be on my priority buy list. But if they make one, I'm sure it will be a great one.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:54 pm
Great that you started the poll indeed! Voted "yes", would be really interested in a Spydieverson of this design. Wonder what sort of steel they would choose. Would hope nothing TOO soft, though in that kind of knife toughness is more of a concern than edge holding.
I'd like to see a simple carbon steel. Something tough, easy to sharpen, and inexpensive. 1095 and O1 come to mind.

I wonder if Spydercos chinese makers can work with any steels like this? Seeing the Bow Rivers price point makes me wonder what they could do with a larger design.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Yes!

LC200N please!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

A Skrama is hard to beat, pricewise and quality wise ... I voted for NO.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think the Ankerson/Sanders Bowie is close. Maybe if it sells well we will see a 9inch version? That would be amazing in my opinion.

I find the Condor tempting but the reports are that the edge is thick like many condors.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

It DOES NOT depend on the specs for me. I'd be interested.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

Yea, maybe if Spyderco made one instead of brk, I'd be interested
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Peter1960 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:51 pm
A Skrama is hard to beat, pricewise and quality wise ... I voted for NO.
No offense, but just imho the Skrama is not something really comparable to a Spydie - Hudson Bay camp knife..

I considered the Skrama once myself (did not get it eventually): It is sure a very good and sturdy tool for the money, but JUST that (which is not a bad thing in itself!). Very practical, but not designed with style or doing a new take on a historic design in mind.
A Spyderco-version would be (I hope so) a very thought through and quality version of the old Hudson Bay knife - probably MORE quality than needed in such a beater tool, but something more appealing to knife-lovers who appreciate such things... which does not mean that it should be not a user! All my Spydies get used, though sometimes a less valuable knife would be the smarter choice for harder tasks...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I would love to see a Spyderco Hudson Bay Camp Knife.
Preferably, the BRK Type 2 design. ....in 3V :)
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:45 pm
I'd like to see a simple carbon steel. Something tough, easy to sharpen, and inexpensive. 1095 and O1 come to mind.

I wonder if Spydercos chinese makers can work with any steels like this? Seeing the Bow Rivers price point makes me wonder what they could do with a larger design.

if it's anything like the Kershaw Camp series made in China with 65Mn carbon steel, I am sure they'll be great performers, my Camp 10 was an excellent chopper for the 3 years I had it :cool:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Why is there so much disdain for this design?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:30 pm
I'm surprised at the poll results too, but I do appreciate honesty.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

To be clear, I really like the design. I just have that tool covered multiple times over. Spyderco would do an outstanding job on one, but at the price they would likely cost for a quality build, I won't buy one. That is why I voted no. Not because of disdain for the design - that is reading too much into an answer to the specific question posed.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:47 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:30 pm
I'm surprised at the poll results too, but I do appreciate honesty.
Me too.
Maybe it´s because this would be a very untypical knife for Spyderco? On the other hand, that´s one of the things that would make it even more intriguing for me to see what they would come up with
Or maybe many read the question as "would you PURCHASE a knife like this"; for me, that´s a two step thing (like with practically any Spyderco):
Step one: I want to see the design and if possible handle it
Step two: If it really appeals to me and I can afford it, I´ll try to purchase it
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Interested? Sure, but probably not enough to buy. There are just too many other Spyders out there. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"