price increase?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nope

Re: price increase?!

Post by nope »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:24 pm
Nope not feeding this one anymore.
"muh trolls"

A classic excuse people use on internet forums to avoid confronting hard truths. You for example literally complained about how poor sales are taking out so many good knives, but then you turn around and essentially say that no one should be complaining about prices because "muh freedom." You do realize that prices and sales are directly correlated, right? Pretty basic economics. You can't complain about one and then excuse the other.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

nope wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:51 pm
Evil D wrote:
"muh trolls"

A classic excuse people use on internet forums to avoid confronting hard truths. You for example literally complained about how poor sales are taking out so many good knives, but then you turn around and essentially say that no one should be complaining about prices because "muh freedom." You do realize that prices and sales are directly correlated, right? Pretty basic economics. You can't complain about one and then excuse the other.
That’s not a universal truth-
Look at the sales of cars, technology, housing or food for a few examples- lowest price isn’t directly proportionate to highest sales at all.
I think you should be chasing a refund on “muh basic economics class”
The elephant in the room is that the amount and timing of the increases haven’t been addressed- I doubt they will be either as a company isn’t required or even expected to provide that information.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

This thread is falling apart, but I'll give one more stab at this...

I was still hoping someone could explain why the price on knives that have already been made are going up. I apologize if it's been answered already, or if it's a dumb question. Let me use an analogy to try to get my point across.

I understand that the price of manufacturing goes up from year to year. Product, staff, overhead and a fair margin for survival and growth. All completely understandable.

But say I'm shopping for a car. There are the 2017 models, 2018 models, 2019 models etc. Lets say though all 3 years of the same model car are identical, due to the cost of production going up it would be completely understandable that the 2017 and 2018 models were the same price, but the 2019 models were more expensive.

My question is why would a dealer who has purchased his 2018 stock at 2018 prices, sell that 2018 stock at the higher 2019 prices? You would never expect to see a car made in 2018 listed for $20k in 2018, that's been sitting on the dealers lot since 2018, being listed for $21k in 2019. You would expect to see the 2019 stock listed at $21k and the 2018 stock listed at $20k. In fact you would usually find the 2018 stock discounted to $19k to clear it out and make room for the 2019 stock.

I realize cars are not knives, but I hope my analogy gets the point across as to what I'm asking.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Daveho wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:07 pm

Look at the sales of cars, technology, housing or food for a few examples- lowest price isn’t directly proportionate to highest sales at all.
The elephant in the room is that the amount and timing of the increases haven’t been addressed- I doubt they will be either as a company isn’t required or even expected to provide that information.
"lowest price isn’t directly proportionate to highest sales at all."

Someone who gets it.

I try to explain that to my retailers all the time (I distribute product) that discounting doesn't necessarily mean they sell more,
just they make less $ for the same amount of work.

On a personal level, IF I know it's a quality products, I will spend more on that product.
Spyderco is a very good example.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:43 pm
This thread is falling apart, but I'll give one more stab at this...

I was still hoping someone could explain why the price on knives that have already been made are going up. I apologize if it's been answered already, or if it's a dumb question. Let me use an analogy to try to get my point across.

I understand that the price of manufacturing goes up from year to year. Product, staff, overhead and a fair margin for survival and growth. All completely understandable.

But say I'm shopping for a car. There are the 2017 models, 2018 models, 2019 models etc. Lets say though all 3 years of the same model car are identical, due to the cost of production going up it would be completely understandable that the 2017 and 2018 models were the same price, but the 2019 models were more expensive.

My question is why would a dealer who has purchased his 2018 stock at 2018 prices, sell that 2018 stock at the higher 2019 prices? You would never expect to see a car made in 2018 listed for $20k in 2018, that's been sitting on the dealers lot since 2018, being listed for $21k in 2019. You would expect to see the 2019 stock listed at $21k and the 2018 stock listed at $20k. In fact you would usually find the 2018 stock discounted to $19k to clear it out and make room for the 2019 stock.

I realize cars are not knives, but I hope my analogy gets the point across as to what I'm asking.
Because (theoretically) the manufacturer requires them to conform to the MAP pricing structure.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I get the MAP thing, but I guess I just feel like there should be a 2018 MAP for 2018 stock and a 2019 MAP for 2019 stock. Maybe it would be too hard to police that, and unscrupulous dealers would sell 2019 stock at 2018 MAP to undercut the competition.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Also, remember this fact again: Spyderco does make lines of inexpensive knives, the value/budget lines such as the Byrd and the Tenacious, etc, and their quality is better than most if not all budget lines of other knife companies. I know it's not the same as getting say a new Paramilitary but it can cut and cut well, very well.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:57 pm
I get the MAP thing, but I guess I just feel like there should be a 2018 MAP for 2018 stock and a 2019 MAP for 2019 stock. Maybe it would be too hard to police that, and unscrupulous dealers would sell 2019 stock at 2018 MAP to undercut the competition.

That’s what I was just thinking.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:57 pm
Exactly, making people conform to the pricing structure is the issue, if they try and enforce it it means people will need to be checking for conformity, adding more jobs will increase costs aswell.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I don't know if it's feasible, but I was thinking it would make the transition to higher prices a little smoother.

murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’m not sure their will ever be a “fix” to this issue. Either buy it or don’t. Prices go up on everything every year. I don’t know why we all fight about this every single year. Can’t we all just get along?
Josh
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I'm not terribly upset over the price increase, it seems minimal to me anyway. Just about the only consumer good that I don't see increasing in price as time goes on is gasoline, and that's currently because the supply of fuel is ramping up worldwide and domestically. To me it's more important that Spyderco maintains quality, maintains a wide range of products, and maintains some jobs in the United States. And that IS what they're doing so...
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

hmr wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:36 am
rgrad80 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:36 am
Prices will keep going up as long as the market can support it. A PM2 is a little piece of metal, a few spacers, screws and some G10, but we clamor to pay $150 every time a new color/steel is put on the market. So, as long as the market says it’s with $150...$160 is not that big of a stretch.

Equating the design and construction of a like a Para-Military 2 to slapping a "piece of metal between two spacers, grab some G-10 and fasten it all together with screws" is an incredibly ignorant viewpoint. If you're truly believe that creating something as lasting as what Spyderco has done is as easy as that, I strongly suggest taking a moment, stepping away from this forum and looking into the logistics of producing an product. I think you'll be blown away.

Thanks for everything you do, Sal.
Great first post:) if you need to start another account to post inflammatory stuff, I can’t really take you seriously kid. Welcome to the forum😂
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
Tims

Post by Tims »

There’s nothing wrong with someone respectfully voicing their dissatisfaction with the price increase. I’m sure Spyderco appreciates the feedback. Constant back patting feels good but won’t do much to advance a business if there is room to improve, grow or change.

At some point though it is akin to complaining about taxes. It will get you nowhere and you’ll come off like a whinging fool.

Personally, there are already quite a few knives in Spydercos line up that are more expensive than I’m willing to pay for. I don’t dwell on it though and you won’t find me in a poorly lit basement somwhere, cutting letters out of magazines to make ransom notes to send to my favourite knife manufacturer. Live within your means.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

nope wrote:
Evil D wrote:
"muh trolls"

Let's just get this one last thing clear...you're not a troll because of your opinion, you're a troll because of this nonsense. Grow up and speak your opinion like an adult and maybe people will take you seriously. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion that isn't popular, but acting like this just turns everyone against you. In the end everyone will forget you were ever here.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
nope

Post by nope »

Daveho wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:07 pm
nope wrote:
Evil D wrote:
"muh trolls"

False on everything.

Transportation, communication, housing, and food are necessities, and even then they are determined by price. Disappearance of the middle class? Housing vanishes and renters for life are here. Gas prices collapse? People drive further.

Price directly influences demand. Read a book.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Hmr,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
nope

Post by nope »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:19 pm
nope wrote:
Evil D wrote:
"muh trolls"

Let's just get this one last thing clear...you're not a troll because of your opinion, you're a troll because of this nonsense. Grow up and speak your opinion like an adult and maybe people will take you seriously. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion that isn't popular, but acting like this just turns everyone against you. In the end everyone will forget you were ever here.
Circlejerks like this forum are notoriously fragile when it comes to substantial disagreement.

Cold Steel makes g-10 knives with cpms steels using the same Taiwanese labor as Spyderco, but at 75-90 bucks they're $100 cheaper. So either Lynn is starving his workers to death or something else is going on here, like maybe gouging the market because you think you'll be on top forever, hmmmm.
Last edited by nope on Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nope

Post by nope »

nope wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:23 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:19 pm
nope wrote:
Evil D wrote:
"muh trolls"

Circlejerks like this forum are notoriously fragile when it comes to substantial disagreement.

Cold Steel makes g-10 knives with cpms steels using the same Taiwanese labor as Spyderco, but at 75-90 bucks they're $100 cheaper. So either Lynn is starving his workers to death or something else is going on here, like maybe gouging the market because you think you'll be on top forever, hmmmm.
nope

Post by nope »