Which steel for the Para 3?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Which steel for the Para 3?

Post by archangel »

I own a Rex45 Millie and a 20CV PM2.

For the Para 3 I'm torn between Maxamet, the 52100 sprint with CF scales, and my hope for an M390 sprint. Or maybe someone will launch a 3V or 4V sprint or exclusive. As always, it's going to be carried, but used only lightly - I'm pretty sure all of the above steels will have no problems with those tasks. It's more a question of getting a rare unique handsome version... Which one would you choose?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Ric

Re: Which steel for the Para 3?

Post by Ric »

BentoBoxShop had the smurf blue M390.
This is my number one.

Head to head with maxamet.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Out of those choices I'd go with Maxamet, I like 52100 but only if it's coated.
archangel

Post by archangel »

BBS is a no-go because $68.95 for shipping to outside US and all at my own risk.

Why 52100 only coated, cause it may rust? Not a problem for me, my K390 P4 is still looking like fresh out of the box.
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

I own all 3. Must say that the BBS m390 is the most allround to my likings. Stainless, nice edge retention and not to hard to touch up. Finish on the brown sharpmaker rods and you get a nice toothy edge. However, the 52100 and also the Rex are even more easy to sharpen. I guess it will always be a trade off.
Archangel, i am from Holland and do not like the expensive shipping costs either. Thats why i use a MyUS box or something similar. Unfortunately, i paid the $68,95. :eek: After that i searched for a cheaper way to get my shipments from the US.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This may be what you're looking for...though I'm sure you would have to pay a steep price on Ebay. Unless you can find one on Blade Forums?
5xfrE6lh.jpg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m pretty curious about maxamet. I’ve been using M4 very happily; I also have cruwear and rex45 but not much experience with either, except it seems like my cruwear Para3 needs a first sharpening far sooner than my M4 did. I sure do love the Para3!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've got the M390, Maxamet, and Rex 45. They are all nice. The rex 45 is my favorite of the steels (but you already have that steel), the M390 with the Blue handle is the best looking (although bento is sold out anyways), the Maxamet is an awesome steel, although I like the CF handles of the 52100 better....

If looks are more important get the CF, if steel is more important get the maxamet.... or wait for the next inevitably awesome sprint.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Don't forget the S35VN distributor exclusive, it's my favorite (at least until an M390-ish Sprint comes back around) and it's still available from a few sellers.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
archangel

Post by archangel »

I'm keeping the S35VN spot open for a different model. I've owned it twice already, sold those to "upgrade" the respective models to a more rare steel. The next purchase of an S35VN :spyder: shall be the definitive one...
Michael
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Surprised you're considering a more "basic" steel in S35VN, after what you were originally talking about. Maybe just wait out an exclusive/sprint? Sounds like you're just itching for a new knife!

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

M390 You can’t go wrong
awa54

Post by awa54 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:07 am
Surprised you're considering a more "basic" steel in S35VN, after what you were originally talking about. Maybe just wait out an exclusive/sprint? Sounds like you're just itching for a new knife!

S35VN isn't a very "basic" alloy content-wise, it is however a balanced/compromise alloy, with no one overriding strength or weakness.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I have also discovered S35VN Differs from company to company and is not great in all knives.

Chris Reeve S35VN Nyala fixed blade is pretty much bullet proof.

His dedicated Sikayo Kitchen knives which are thin however are not I have had them chip.

I have owned and sold his sebenza folders. The steel is a good fit here.

I own paramilitary 2 in S35VN and the steel seems softer than what I experienced with Reeve treatment of S35VN.

S35VN has never rusted on me it is easier to sharpen then S30V and holds a working edge a bit longer. It also is a bit less slick and more toothy than S30V.

Working edge is a nice way of saying does not remain truly sharp for long.

Can’t go wrong with M390 or CTS-204P. Both of these are great stainless steels easy to sharpen and hold a truly sharp edge longer that S35VN.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

awa54 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:17 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:07 am

S35VN isn't a very "basic" alloy content-wise, it is however a balanced/compromise alloy, with no one overriding strength or weakness.
I agree, I have nothing against it. One of my personal, favorite knives is in that steel. It's just from a different breed than what he was originally considering, that's all.

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Oh and if you want the best of all worlds spend the money get the M390 or CTS-204P buy the 52100 and swap the scales. Pricey this way but wants and desires over needs often are. :)
Dornbox

Post by Dornbox »

For no other reason other than, I've read a lot of very cool stuff regarding Maxamet, that's my number 1. The Para 2 Maxamet was also my first love at first sight Spydie. Something about the gray G10 and stone washed blade just works especially with the Paras. My number 2 is the Red G10 M390 from DLT for many of the same reasons. I own at least 7 or 8 of the more "boutique" steels between the Para models but rotate too frequently to really be able to discern any major differences between them. I also re profile everything on my WE as soon as I can and honestly don't even see any huge differences there either. For the most part I only slice cardboard and odd items around my house and yard.

If a Salt Para 2 or 3 ever drops with yellow G10 and an LC200N or H1 steel, there would be no hesitation either if only for the look and that I live and play on the New England Coast.
Too many Military family variants... and yet not enough.
:spyder:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Dornbox wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:38 am
For no other reason other than, I've read a lot of very cool stuff regarding Maxamet, that's my number 1. The Para 2 Maxamet was also my first love at first sight Spydie. Something about the gray G10 and stone washed blade just works especially with the Paras. My number 2 is the Red G10 M390 from DLT for many of the same reasons. I own at least 7 or 8 of the more "boutique" steels between the Para models but rotate too frequently to really be able to discern any major differences between them. I also re profile everything on my WE as soon as I can and honestly don't even see any huge differences there either. For the most part I only slice cardboard and odd items around my house and yard.

If a Salt Para 2 or 3 ever drops with yellow G10 and an LC200N or H1 steel, there would be no hesitation either if only for the look and that I live and play on the New England Coast.

I'm the same way, I really don't NEED all these different steels and probably never truly put them through enough to truly test what they are capable of (cardboard, plastic strapping, shrink wrap, some rope, camping and yard work typically being the toughest tests for me)...but it sure is fun to have a variety and variety of scale colors!

-Rick
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

archangel wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:31 pm
I own a Rex45 Millie and a 20CV PM2.

For the Para 3 I'm torn between Maxamet, the 52100 sprint with CF scales, and my hope for an M390 sprint. Or maybe someone will launch a 3V or 4V sprint or exclusive. As always, it's going to be carried, but used only lightly - I'm pretty sure all of the above steels will have no problems with those tasks. It's more a question of getting a rare unique handsome version... Which one would you choose?
All good choices for sure! I have all three (CF 52100, Maxamet, BBS M390) and they're all special . Since the M390 is sold out and the Maxamets ETA uncertain. ..I'd get the one that's available now. There are some good deals on the 52100 Para 3 floating around as an added bonus ! It's definitely handsome with the Carbon scales...

James
Attachments
2018-12-28 17.48.53.jpg
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Definitely a good looking knife you have there James! Don't see that model all that often. I think people are afraid of the easy patina 52100 can get.

-Rick