price increase?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
500Nitro

Re: price increase?!

Post by 500Nitro »

dodgie02 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:58 pm
I haven't really noticed a price increase in Europe, specifically the Netherlands. A pm2 in s30v was €170-175 years back and still is now. I did notice the price increases on USA based stores.
Does this mean eu prices have been overcharging all along? Perhaps.
I'm wondering how this will go on in the future, I am already used to paying a rough 40 euro more per model but it's already pushing it, much more and I will probably have to rethink my spending habits.
I am looking forward to the pm2 maxamet which my retailer says is coming in a month (?) even though 235 euros is a STEEP price.

You're killing me, but I get it.
Now equate what you pay to what you earn - and ask yourself the same questions.

If I said to you you can pay US prices - as long as you accept US wage rates - minimum wage $8 or so - would you accept ?
I very much doubt it.

Most I say that to here in Oz say No, they prefer what we have here.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

500Nitro wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:54 am
dodgie02 wrote:
I haven't really noticed a price increase in Europe, specifically the Netherlands. A pm2 in s30v was €170-175 years back and still is now. I did notice the price increases on USA based stores.
I'm wondering how this will go on in the future, I am already used to paying a rough 40 euro more per model but it's already pushing it, much more and I will probably have to rethink my spending habits.
I am looking forward to the pm2 maxamet which my retailer says is coming in a month (?) even though 235 euros is a STEEP price.

If I said to you you can pay US prices - as long as you accept US wage rates - minimum wage $8 or so - would you accept ?
I very much doubt it.

Quite. I wonder how many of our American friends get free healthcare and over 5 weeks paid holiday....
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:20 am
500Nitro wrote:
dodgie02 wrote:

I very much doubt it.

Quite. I wonder how many of our American friends get free healthcare and over 5 weeks paid holiday....
Starting to get into politics but I'd rather not have free healthcare. I work at walmart and get 4 weeks paid vacation. I'm happy with what I've got.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Ric

Post by Ric »

What does that have to do with wages?

The knives are coming out of Golden and just need to shipped to EU. Similar distance then to Hawaii. Sure tax must be added.
That's it.

Yes we got 5 weeks holiday and health care but we pay for it.

If my employer pays me 3000€ I get 2000, 1000 takes the government for health care, taxes...

You complain that a knife goes up from 150 to 160, we pay for the same knive 240.

I only want to say that for others it more expensive to buy knives but we also manage to do it.
And we do not have the luck to also support our country.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

I am simply astounded that Daveho calls Joe (Mastiff) a freakin' racist based off jack damnit!

There is no other way to read that. It is exactly what was meant. If it wasn't, Daveho, you would've apologized at the accusation of something so vile and loathsome. There was a time when calling someone a racist was extremely serious and one would want to be damned sure they knew what they were saying, or implying, before leveling such charges against a fellow human being. I guess it gets tossed around so much these days that its lost its impact to many.

Joe, I don't know you from Adam and my only interaction with you has been on this forum but none of that matters. The default position should always be a person is not a racist until proven otherwise, not that person who makes a comment about another country is a racist until he proves otherwise. I'm sorry this was leveled at you.

I know I probably should just keep my keyboard to myself but that just burns me up.

It's disgusting.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:30 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:20 am
500Nitro wrote:
dodgie02 wrote:

I very much doubt it.

Starting to get into politics but I'd rather not have free healthcare. I work at walmart and get 4 weeks paid vacation. I'm happy with what I've got.
Sorry I wasn’t clear. What I meant that because of personal and business tax differences, employment costs etc, the relationship between wages and consumer prices in Europe and the USA are going to be different. Oranges and apples, swings and roundabouts etc.
blues

Post by blues »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:20 am
I know I probably should just keep my keyboard to myself but that just burns me up.

It's disgusting.
So in other words, you're chapped. Seems apropos.

(Just keeping it light...though I am completely on board with the notion that folks are taking too many liberties with inferences and accusations not grounded in fact and evidence. You can't help but bump into it on a daily basis, it seems.)
- Retired from the chase -
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Eli Chaps wrote:
I am simply astounded that Daveho calls Joe (Mastiff) a freakin' racist based off jack damnit!

There is no other way to read that. It is exactly what was meant. If it wasn't, Daveho, you would've apologized at the accusation of something so vile and loathsome. There was a time when calling someone a racist was extremely serious and one would want to be damned sure they knew what they were saying, or implying, before leveling such charges against a fellow human being. I guess it gets tossed around so much these days that its lost its impact to many.

Joe, I don't know you from Adam and my only interaction with you has been on this forum but none of that matters. The default position should always be a person is not a racist until proven otherwise, not that person who makes a comment about another country is a racist until he proves otherwise. I'm sorry this was leveled at you.

It's disgusting.
If you actually read the posts rather than getting burned up about your perception of things rather tha your self imagined rage over non existent events life will be easier- did I say Joe you are a racist? No. Did I say buy a knife from China or you are a racist? No.
That said, dismissing the exports of an entire country based on the country of origin alone is still pretty iffy but it’s understandable if you have found xy and z things you don’t like and then simply write the country off as a whole- personally I think more due diligence is required befor a generalisation of that size but that’s me.
Personally there are things I won’t buy from some countries based on my own political beliefs however circumstances should be considered for example meats from x country based on their historic treatment of animals however if it meets x certification I know it meets my moral standard-
simply saying “I won’t buy a knife from China” dosnt include any such stipulation as the disqualifying factor is listed as the country of origin.

The other thing is that realisticly even if there was some huge racist here on the forum, so what? Am I going to change that by asking if there is a reason for their buying patterns or if it does come down to their descriminatory ideals? Probably not.
Last edited by Daveho on Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

If you actually read the posts rather than getting burned up about your perception of things then life will be easier...
There are a bunch of people who read it the same way as Eli. I did too obviously. You can clear it up pretty easily though.

Joe
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Remember when this forum was about discussing spyderco knives and not personally attacking people? Those were the days.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:59 pm
Remember when this forum was about discussing spyderco knives and not personally attacking people? Those were the days.
That’s why I personally don’t come around here very often anymore...it’s a shame.
Josh
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Daveho wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:40 pm
Eli Chaps wrote:

It's disgusting.
If you actually read the posts rather than getting burned up about your perception of things then life will be easier...
Wow.

Why is it everyone else's responsibility to interrupt what you mean? In any communication there is a sender and a receiver. The sender is responsible for 90% of the process. Hint, you're the sender. And, as I said, even it was a misunderstanding, that's a HUGE misunderstanding that should be clearly apologized for if not intended.

For the record, I did actually read the posts. Several times in fact. I first read them last night and was all ready to type up a response but I'd had a couple beers and thought that perhaps I was misunderstanding and decided I should let it go and have another look with a clear head. I know it's passe these days but we used to call that personal responsibility.

Anyway, none of the posts read any different this morning.

Maybe I should just move on to other forums.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Remember shiny footprints? Clearly not.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:07 pm
Daveho wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:40 pm
Eli Chaps wrote:

It's disgusting.
Wow.

Why is it everyone else's responsibility to interrupt what you mean? In any communication there is a sender and a receiver. The sender is responsible for 90% of the process. Hint, you're the sender. And, as I said, even it was a misunderstanding, that's a HUGE misunderstanding that should be clearly apologized for if not intended.

For the record, I did actually read the posts. Several times in fact. I first read them last night and was all ready to type up a response but I'd had a couple beers and thought that perhaps I was misunderstanding and decided I should let it go and have another look with a clear head. I know it's passe these days but we used to call that personal responsibility.

Anyway, none of the posts read any different this morning.

Maybe I should just move on to other forums.
Well you can interpret it how ever you wish.. or you could simply accept what I said and the explanation of what I said as my intent?
Alternatively you can think I’m calling people racist- what ever makes you happy.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Hadn't been following this thread but I jumped to the last page and the topic is racism. I'm not even surprised.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:34 pm
Hadn't been following this thread but I jumped to the last page and the topic is racism. I'm not even surprised.
it really got away from me despite my attempts (passive-aggressive and otherwise) to reel it in. i even asked the moderators to just delete it altogether. there was a point to the thread, but it serves little purpose as is.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:38 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:34 pm
it really got away from me despite my attempts (passive-aggressive and otherwise) to reel it in. i even asked the moderators to just delete it altogether. there was a point to the thread, but it serves little purpose as is.

It's a bummer of a topic but this is usually the path they take. It's a shame because not long ago this could have been a much more civil discussion.
~David
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

as far as price increases go it will just force some to be a bit more considered with their purchases or wait a little longer for their trout native.
Sucks to pay more but it is what it is, we must simply make decisions as to what represents value or what we are willing to splurge a little on if you stay loyal to the spyderco brand or you cast a wider net and look at other brands aswell.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I had a thought for the future here. The price increases would be a lot more tolerable if it was just on new stock.

As I understand it (I may be wrong), the dealers have old knives that they purchased under the old price, but now they are going to sell that old stock at an increased price. So theoretically they are making more money off their old stock than the new stock they will be getting this year (because they paid less for the old stock).

Now if they get a new shipment of knives that they had to pay more for, or a new model they had to pay more for, the price increase that is passed along to us seems much more justified and palatable.

Paying more tomorrow for the same old stock knife that costs less today seems arbitrary and less justifiable. The cost of that knife didn't go up, it's already made, and they already have it.

Unless I'm getting that wrong and that's not how it works? I completely understand that cost increases, and that new models and new stock will be more expensive from year to year. I'm sure there's a reason to the across the board price increase (even on old stock) on the first of the year, I'm just not understanding it. Maybe someone could explain it to me? Thanks.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I live with the prices. Nobody forces me to buy anything and crying about it doesn't change anything. Speak with your wallet and that's all there is to it.

What bothers me the most is how so many awesome models are coming out and getting discontinued due to poor sales. I would have loved to see sprint options on a lot of models but the initial runs didn't justify it. That's the biggest loss for me.
~David