Military Thief

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hoghunter82

Military Thief

Post by hoghunter82 »

Sitting here pissed off on Christmas because I just realized that someone stole the Military Camo G-10 Black Blade I ordered directly from Spyderco earlier this year. We had some work done at our home while I was out of town. It sits on my home office desk daily and I didn’t think twice about having to hide it. The wife doesn’t understand how much I loved this knife. Her response was, “Just go to Lowe’s and get another knife tomorrow.” I freaking hate thieves. No way to know which one of numerous folks we had in and out of the house and no way to prove it. Merry Freaking Christmas- I hope you mishandle the Military and bleed yourself out! Rant over- just needed to vent...Happy Holidays to all!
5-by-5

Re: Military Thief

Post by 5-by-5 »

Never trust coworkers. Even rich and famous can be kleptos. (Wynonna Rider)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Never leave anything out in plain sight.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:49 pm
Never leave anything out in plain sight.
That's really all that needs to be said.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

I feel your pain. I had a digicam CPMD2 Military I EDC'd for years stolen by an old roommate.
:unicorn
hoghunter82

Post by hoghunter82 »

Believe me, I am certainly regretting leaving it in plain sight. Lesson learned. Just sucks you can’t even leave a Spyderco out in your own home. Now I gotta figure out if I’m missing anything else. Ughhhh!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Most of my Spydies are in a display case one day my wife came down and the case was open and some were missing and she thought the plumber took them but I had just packed them up for work and forgot to close the cabinet. Still made me think hard about where I leave them.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

hoghunter82 wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:37 pm
Believe me, I am certainly regretting leaving it in plain sight. Lesson learned. Just sucks you can’t even leave a Spyderco out in your own home. Now I gotta figure out if I’m missing anything else. Ughhhh!
It definitely does but if you just consider the run o' the mill robbery, if you have your stuff locked up securely somewhere you might save yourself from getting cleaned out. Hopefully you just misplaced it and it turns up somewhere, I recall a few threads with similar outcomes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

My friend had his military stolen from his friend's wheel well while at a concert.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Ballsy move to steal from someone while working on their house. If that’s what actually happened — it’s possible someone else snuck off with it.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I feel your pain man. That sucks.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Believe me I can fully identify with your feelings about the theft of your C-36 Military model. About 4 to 5 years ago when I was still living and working in Kansas City I had one of my most loved Spyders ever stolen from me. I'm speaking about my G-10 Harpy which was my companion blade I carried along with one of my C-60 Ayoob models almost daily for close to 7 years. It took quite a bit of talking to different people involved where I was working>> by doing my own intense investigation I finally got two known street people to admit that a certain individual ( who I knew) did indeed have my G-10 Harpy when I showed them a picture of it.

What really catapulted my anger almost to the point of taking a ball bat to this slime ball individual is when I discovered that he virtually sold the knife for no more than about the price of a pack of cigarettes :mad: I've got to control myself because every time I even think about my coveted G-10 Harpy literally going up in "smoke" it angers me almost to the point of barbaric violence>> yeah that's how mad I got. Since then I haven't been able to locate another ATS-55 era, G-10 Harpy for less than $200 :mad: Which is why I've been on a big crusade to get Spyderco to make a new edition of the G-10 Harpy>> and I do hope they do another one at some point.

But I had carried it as a companion SE blade to my main EDC for over 7 years just angers me to a very unhealthy level :mad: Yeah I've been in that situation myself and to think it went for no more than lousy pack of cigarettes just infuriates me :mad: Thieves are disgusting but a knife thief is even at a lower level :mad:
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Been thinking about a large gun safe. Lots of talk about how they can be defeated with the right tools, but I saw an article about how gun owners tended to keep their valuables during the typical home robbery because of a big heavy gun safe that the casual thieves just can't deal with.
Ric

Post by Ric »

That sucks.
Buy a new one, probably with another steel to enjoy.
Store away your things next time and enjoy the time with your family. At the end familiy is more important.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

shunsui wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:46 am
Been thinking about a large gun safe. Lots of talk about how they can be defeated with the right tools, but I saw an article about how gun owners tended to keep their valuables during the typical home robbery because of a big heavy gun safe that the casual thieves just can't deal with.
It either makes a lot of noise or takes a lot of time or both ;)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I was going to say bad luck, but it’s not luck, it’s bare-faced thievery. Ultimately, what goes around, comes around, and it will bring them no joy. Still, don’t let it ruin YOUR week. Move on with another Spydie.

Supports my borderline paranoia about putting away my knives in such circumstances, though.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I feel really sorry for you. Had a plumber doing some work in my flat wile I was away just recently, all my knifes were easily accesible or even open on the table. I never even thought of that someone could actually steal one of them (and he didn´t). Generally I want to trust and see the good side in human beeings, but your post showed me that maybe a little more caution would be a good idea?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

shunsui wrote:
People way overthink gun safes. You can find videos of someone popping then open with a crowbar. But unless someone comes in expecting to deal with a safe they’re not getting anywhere. Just make sure you bolt it down. Otherwise it’s just a heavy box of valuables.

I don’t keep my knives in the safe. I guess I have like $1000 or so of knives if you add it all up. Thieves will probably make off with the laptops instead anyway.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I'd probably put my knives in a box labeled "scrap newspaper" or "Xmas ornaments" or something.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

shunsui wrote:
Get a large one and a small one.

My large safe is pretty well fortified (it's cemented in place, actually), and I have a small safe in the master closet that I keep EDC type stuff in. That way you have a "theft deterrent" storage place for your commonly used items (for example, a place to lock an EDC handgun at night) that's easy to get to, and a larger, more secure "vault" storage for things you don't get out every day.

You'll never stop a truly determined and resourceful thief. But most burglaries are casual and opportunistic. Any locked container that can't be taken entirely will stop that kind of thief.