The Dodo 2019

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: The Dodo 2019

Post by elena86 »

Eric’s most inspired design by far. Of course I’m in :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
garret

Post by garret »

polyhexamethyl wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:11 pm
not meant to crash the thread,
whats the fuzz about the DODO? i can't imagine it fitting my edc needs - but a ot of people really go nuts for the DODO.

what do you guys use it for?

I think it's one of those things that you hate or love
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

i don’t hate it, i just don’t know what people use it for - looks like a real good boxcutter/opener
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

polyhexamethyl wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:59 am
i don’t hate it, i just don’t know what people use it for - looks like a real good boxcutter/opener
You are correct. As I've been saying a lot lately 99% of my cutting tasks are opening packages, mail, clamshells, boxes, plastic wrap, breaking down cardboard, pull cutting zip ties and wires, and slicing tape. One of my favorite knives for this is the HBDfly. The little curved blade of the HBDfly makes it ideal for these tasks for a number of reasons, in particular the ability to make shallow cuts in boxes (so you don't cut what's in the boxes), and pull cutting with the tip (ideal for zip ties). The Dodo offers the abilities of the smaller blade but with the added leverage of a full sized handle, and the strength of g-10 construction. It is what I would describe as a heavy duty utility knife, where as the HBDFly is a light utilty knife. I'm also a fan of the ball bearing lock :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Dark Green micarta or Burgundy micarta with ceramic ball and a PE and a SE version
that would get me opening my wallet and wiping drool off the keyboard.
CTS-XHP or M390 would be great.

The Dodo isn't for everyone, as mentioned earlier, it really isn't an EDC type of blade shape. The handle is ergonomically awesome for grip and retention, but the blade shape not so 'handy'.

Sprint it I say ! Sprint it hard.... and while we are at it, can we also do a matchy matchy Persian (bolstered version please, none of this FFG G10 stuff :) )
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I hate to sound redundant but again I would want a Sprint Run Dodo in something other than S30V. We need to see how well that model would do with one of the supersteels. And in Spyderedge I'm not so picky as long as they use a steel that performs well in SE. Cold Steel has two Hawkbill blades that are fully serrated with XHP steel and I've only heard good things about it.

So how about this???>>>> A PE Dodo in either M390, S110V, S90V or even Maxamet. A Spyderedged Dodo in XHP or even 440V if they have any of the old bar stock still around. Just as long as they improve on the Dodo model I would still be standing in line for one. But please it's high time we get another run of them in Spyderedge>> you all wouldn't believe how handy that model is in SE.

I must say "Zrow" this is one excellent idea you have :cool:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I owned the orange sprint from a few years back. I liked using the knife and the ergonomics are terrific in my hand. The problem with me lies in the amount of pocket space required compared to the usable blade capabilities. This ratio just never worked for me.

Those who have seen my pocket dumps know that I carry multiple knives on a daily basis as well as multiple other items. Having one of my primary items take so much space in the pocket is really a deterrent for me. I would much prefer the Lil Matriarch to the Dodo. Perhaps that's why I own two of the former.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:55 am
I owned the orange sprint from a few years back. I liked using the knife and the ergonomics are terrific in my hand. The problem with me lies in the amount of pocket space required compared to the usable blade capabilities. This ratio just never worked for me.
You are so right Landon because like I've said in the past the very first time I got a Dodo model way back around 03-04 I mainly considered it to be nothing but a novelty type knife that I thought would eventually become a collector piece. I never took the Dodo seriously until one week I decided to EDC it and I was truly blown away at how versatile that little model was. This would be the absolute perfect EDC for those of you who unfortunately live where they have draconian knife laws :( Because the blade length of the Dodo is probably legal in about every state and city in the USA with a very few possible exceptions.

I've also found the Dodo ( especially the blue one) to be extremely sheeple friendly>> most people are blown away when I tell them that it is a pocketknife. But I still would love to see a bigger scale, wider blade version of the Dodo and I also want to see the return of the Spyderedged version.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Strong bump

Any inside word on a Dodo sprint?

I’ve missed the boat on this model and I’m keen to get one in my pocket.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

If this happens I am down for one... I like the look of the knife, and just based off my experience with the Manix 2.. It looks like an ergonomic masterpiece.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

500Nitro wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:01 pm
I'll be in by then.

Serrated for me. FRN
and H1 (if that's possible)

my vote here as well. would make an excellent work/utility knife in this combo.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Cali HogHead

Post by Cali HogHead »

Since coming into the Spydiefold over a year ago, I've been able to purchase most of my discontinued desires on the secondary market. K2, Tuff and a few others. The Dodo still eludes me, as it seemingly doesn't drop below $250, and it's availability is scarce. I'd grab one in any steel, any lock, any edge. Please Sal, please release another Sprint.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tims wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:39 pm
Strong bump

Hey Brother I'm glad you bumped this most interesting thread. Because there are so many fans of the Dodo model I'm willing to bet that if it became a main line model again they would have no trouble selling them at all.

Also I know I'm sounding like a broken drum but the Spyderedged Dodo was an incredible cutting tool and I won't shut up until I get another one. It would be ideal to get a new PE & SE Dodo in something besides S30V>> but if for some strange reason Spyderco would have to use that steel again I would consider that a lot better than not having a new one at all.

But there is no doubt that there is a big enough fan base and not to mention all the newcomer Spyderco fans that would welcome a new Dodo and there would be no problem selling them. But again I can't stress enough how great that Dodo model was in Spyderedge. It was by far the best small bladed Spyderedged folder they ever made IMO.
Tims

Post by Tims »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:20 pm
Tims wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:39 pm
Strong bump

Hey Brother I'm glad you bumped this most interesting thread. Because there are so many fans of the Dodo model I'm willing to bet that if it became a main line model again they would have no trouble selling them at all.

Also I know I'm sounding like a broken drum but the Spyderedged Dodo was an incredible cutting tool and I won't shut up until I get another one. It would be ideal to get a new PE & SE Dodo in something besides S30V>> but if for some strange reason Spyderco would have to use that steel again I would consider that a lot better than not having a new one at all.

But there is no doubt that there is a big enough fan base and not to mention all the newcomer Spyderco fans that would welcome a new Dodo and there would be no problem selling them. But again I can't stress enough how great that Dodo model was in Spyderedge. It was by far the best small bladed Spyderedged folder they ever made IMO.
Hi mate.

Theres a handfull of old models I’d like to see roll back around, the Dodo is one of them.

I’m not a huge fan of g10 but it works on some knives and I think it works on the Dodo. The blue and orange models really got my attention. I have a preference for PE, especially on a small knife like this where the blade would behave like one big scollop. But, I’m new to SE having only just got my first SE Spyderco, a SS Endura. I’m sure they would run them in both PE and SE.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Hello old thread. Nice to see you again. Wow 2019 is almost upon us. Time flys when you throw a clock :D
Merry Christmas and Happy New year all :spyder:
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:09 am
Hello old thread. Nice to see you again. Wow 2019 is almost upon us. Time flys when you throw a clock :D
Merry Christmas and Happy New year all :spyder:
Well even a broken clock is right twice a day :rolleyes: But the "TIME HAS COME">>that's the slogan I'll use for the Dodo just like I use the slogan "NOW's THE TIME" when wanting to rant for a New Hawkbill :cool:

But truly the TIME HAS COME for a newly revamped or even just another Dodo model all together. I've even thought about what a Titanium handled Dodo would be like. But I can live with another G-10 handled Dodo just as long as they make it also available in Full SpyderEdge.

And even in 2019 I'm still not going to cease my demands for a larger scale Dodo either. The demand for a Sprint Run Dodo is significantly huge all across the boards. They could put it in the main line and if they did I bet it would sell huge for at least 2 to 3 years.

But I would like to see a full Spyderedged Dodo this go around and hopefully whatever they decide to do it would be nice to see one in some other steel besides S30V.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

I purchased a Stainless steel cricket SE just to give one a go (not a fan of stainless steel handles bit it was cheap).

This was a stop gap until a new DoDo is released or I find a reasonably priced used DoDo.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Dee

Post by Dee »

I too would like to try a Dodo. My suggestion would be for Spyderco to look into producing a version in bd1N. I have been auditioning this steel in a chef's knife for two months and I am impressed by it. Perhaps that might also keep the end cost down. I like the exotic steels mentioned in the posts above, but it's my understanding that bd1N is economical. Not sure how it fits in with supply at the factory where the Dodo would be produced. Sometimes it's nice to pick up an interesting Spyderco without needing a co-signer.
Dee
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

500Nitro wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:22 pm
I purchased a Stainless steel cricket SE just to give one a go (not a fan of stainless steel handles bit it was cheap).

This was a stop gap until a new DoDo is released or I find a reasonably priced used DoDo.
Yeah I hear what you're saying because I've always liked the Carbon Fiber Cricket far more than most of the other variants. I like Stainless handles but on a folder that small it just isn't the best.

I'm still thinking that the Dodo could be a great candidate for a Titanium handle. But I have no problems with the original G-10 or the Sprint Run Carbon Fiber. I can understand why they shelve and mothball most discontinued models but the Dodo and Caly JR are two that really baffle me. Because the demand for both of those models is constant from what I can tell. There are so many knife users and collector's now looking for the Dodo model that I've even heard reports of them selling for as high as $300+ and that is just ridiculous. About 8 months ago I had a guy over at BF approach me with a Spyderedged Dodo and he wanted $200 for it>> and this was a used one at that. I was saddened but I just had to say NO.

It's high time not only for the return of the Dodo model but also for the return of the Spyderedged Dodo as well. There are enough people out there that want one now that I believe you could put them in full production for at least a year or even two years and I'm quite confident that all of them made would eventually sell out.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Give me a compression lock and LC200N and I'll pay right now for both PE and SE, get em to me when they are done.

Even the finger grooves fit my hand!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson