Your Delica 5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larry_Mott

Re: Your Delica 5

Post by Larry_Mott »

p_atrick wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:24 pm
I don't know if I want to see a Delica 5 just yet. I personally think the Delica 4 is pretty great as is. That said, in 2020 I believe the Delica will be 30 years old. A special commemorative edition could be fun.
I'd much rather see a commemorative than a "upgrade"
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

abbazaba wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:20 pm
If it happens I'm hoping for something like a mini Police 4, but this Boomer52 mod fits my hand very well..

Thank you for posting. My delica 5 would be something like this.

But my opinion doesn't count, I'll never buy a delica (as it is).
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I like the suggestion of a wire clip.
Beyond that the only thing I'd like is a bigger hole, like the 14mm one I made on mine...
I understand some folk want linerless. I like the liners so that's no prob for me.

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:21 pm
abbazaba wrote:
If it happens I'm hoping for something like a mini Police 4, but this Boomer52 mod fits my hand very well..

That knife is also very nice though! What is it?
Lonerider
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:33 am
Pelagic wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:21 pm
abbazaba wrote:

That knife is also very nice though! What is it?
Lonerider
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spy ... o.1583074/
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Wow!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I have a couple extra Delicas I “accidentally” traded for. I may B52 one of them, I love the mini para scales.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

deep carry wire clip, jimped finger choil, blacked out plain edge variation
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Not much to improve for me in the Delica, MY Delica 5 should definitely:

- NOT feature a choil, but keep the hand closer to the edge in a regular grip (choking up on the Ricasso or even the edge is no problem at all, and there are SO MANY finger-choil-Spyders already...)
- keep the regular hourglass-clip
- BUT: make the blade longer, so it fills ALL the length of the handle when the knife is closed and give the knife more actual egde by doing so (I am aware of that this would make the Delica not a legal carry anymore in certain areas).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

awa54 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:58 pm

I'd buy a larger Worker with a Delica blade and wire clip in FRN :D

Hmm, I would take the opposite! A TiCN coated Worker blade in an Olive Green FRN Delica handle with a wire clip and spine/choil jimping. A Worklica if you will! :D With all of the interesting blade shapes (waved, hawkbill, wharncliff, shorty kahr arms blade, etc) being fit into Delicas, Dflies, Enduras and more, why not give this one a shot!??! It was the one that started it all, and it is still a great shape. I would buy a Worker LW in a second. A Worker LW Salt in PE H1 and SE H1 would be even cooler! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:42 pm
I would buy a Worker LW in a second. A Worker LW Salt in PE H1 and SE H1 would be even cooler! :D
🤔 now ya got me thinking.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Just take the liners out and I'll be happy.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

StuntZombie wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:30 pm
If the linerless Delica still feels as sturdy as lets say the Native LW, I am with you!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:44 pm
StuntZombie wrote:
If the linerless Delica still feels as sturdy as lets say the Native LW, I am with you!
Salt 2 is a linerless delica 4. I’ve found it to be sturdy enough. And rust proof!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I really like the Delica 4 as it is and don't see how it can be changed for the better or broader market appeal ... let's face it no one knife is going to be perfect for everybody, but the Delica 4 seems to be perfect for me so I'm leaving it as it is.

Since I own a dozen or so ... here are some things I would like to see that would get me to purchase more: 1) I did replace the finished clip with an unfinished clip after year's of use and I prefer it so unfinished clip from the factory would be good, 2) current FRN colors have been around a very very long time so I would like to see some new and exciting FRN colors swapped in the line-up including tacticool like khaki and coyote brown and such, 3) I also liked the satin finish on the Kahr Arms models and would like to see the same finish on one of the many regular production models, 4) I would like to see one of the many models offered in a black coated plain edge blade, 5) I would like to see one of the many production models offered with G10 handles, 6) I also would like to see one of the models offered with the wire clip everyone is mentioning, 7) I would like to see Delica sprints that feature all the interesting steels like you see on the PM2 ... yes I know it is Japan and US so not likely!!! My favorite is the Damascu/Foalage Green FRN and I would enjoy seeing other Damascus/FRN sprints.

For those that don't find the Delica ergos working for them ... I am wondering how you grip/hold the knife??? I hold the knife mostly on the flat of my finger between the knuckle nearest the fingertip and the next one down ... the knife slightly angles across the flats with the front of the knife tight to the first knuckle and the rear of the knife tight to the second knuckle but on the side nearest the palm. There is no other way I can grip the knife and have the ergos work for me except a reverse grip. I use a light firm grip and don't find the need for applying more grip pressure for the size of the knife and the things that I use it to cut (mostly light duty slicing). However, I can apply more pressure and still find the ergos working.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
vivi

Post by vivi »

cycleguy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:48 pm
I really like the Delica 4 as it is and don't see how it can be changed for the better or broader market appeal ... let's face it no one knife is going to be perfect for everybody, but the Delica 4 seems to be perfect for me so I'm leaving it as it is.

Since I own a dozen or so ... here are some things I would like to see that would get me to purchase more: 1) I did replace the finished clip with an unfinished clip after year's of use and I prefer it so unfinished clip from the factory would be good, 2) current FRN colors have been around a very very long time so I would like to see some new and exciting FRN colors swapped in the line-up including tacticool like khaki and coyote brown and such, 3) I also liked the satin finish on the Kahr Arms models and would like to see the same finish on one of the many regular production models, 4) I would like to see one of the many models offered in a black coated plain edge blade, 5) I would like to see one of the many production models offered with G10 handles, 6) I also would like to see one of the models offered with the wire clip everyone is mentioning, 7) I would like to see Delica sprints that feature all the interesting steels like you see on the PM2 ... yes I know it is Japan and US so not likely!!! My favorite is the Damascu/Foalage Green FRN and I would enjoy seeing other Damascus/FRN sprints.

For those that don't find the Delica ergos working for them ... I am wondering how you grip/hold the knife??? I hold the knife mostly on the flat of my finger between the knuckle nearest the fingertip and the next one down ... the knife slightly angles across the flats with the front of the knife tight to the first knuckle and the rear of the knife tight to the second knuckle but on the side nearest the palm. There is no other way I can grip the knife and have the ergos work for me except a reverse grip. I use a light firm grip and don't find the need for applying more grip pressure for the size of the knife and the things that I use it to cut (mostly light duty slicing). However, I can apply more pressure and still find the ergos working.

CG
I try to hold it similar to how you describe but there is no where for my thumb to go that doesn't feel painful or awkward. The ergos work ok if I wrap my thumb around the handle but sometimee I prefer putting my thumb on the back for better control.

On a knife that works for me ergonomically, like the Police 4, there is maybe an inch or so between where my index finger goes and where my thumb extends to. On the Delica 4 there's only 1/10th an inch or so.

So I can try to use the thumb ramp and the base joint of my thumb is so cramped it's basically at a 90 degree angle. Or I can put it on the spine and it feels awkward because of the hump, and then my thumb alsp gets in the way of what I'm cutting.

One thing I've tried to do is to adjust my grip to give my thumb more space. Tilting the knife down and pushing it forward in my grip a bit. I've tried putting my thumb on first, positioning it on the thumb ramp so its comfortable, and only then wrapping my other fingers around the handle. But then I can't get the finger grooves to line up with my grip.

I suppose if I really wanted to try to make a Delica work for me I could only use it with my thumb wrapped around the handle, but after putting it on thumb ramps / blade spines for decades its a tough habit to break.
:unicorn
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:28 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:44 pm
StuntZombie wrote:
Salt 2 is a linerless delica 4. I’ve found it to be sturdy enough. And rust proof!
Exactly. I know Sal has said there are no plans to make the Endura and Delica linerless, but that just means I'll have to keep pestering him and bringing it up until it happens.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i actually feel it should be made like the df, so it will actually be a bigger df. add a choil fix the tip straight not tip down. leave the liners and colors. wire clip would be nice too.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Damasteel anniversary edition?
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

StuntZombie wrote:
The difference would be 0.4 oz.I doubt anyone would be able to tell just by holding the knife.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.