Spyderco Caribbean LC200N SE V.S. H1 SE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
500Nitro

Re: Spyderco Caribbean LC200N SE V.S. H1 SE

Post by 500Nitro »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:21 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:19 pm
Well the wild card is H1 and work hardening. If edge retention is so good because if work hardening, does LC benefit the same? I suspect LC/SE will hold an edge longer than in PE just because that's typical of SE (in my experience) but how it compares to H1/SE is the real question. We know PE vs PE that LC is a significant step up in edge retention, but in SE is a different story.
You’ve been using SE H1 a lot right? How would you compare it to SE VG-10? I think LC200N is supposed to be comparable to LC200N.

I’ve seen a lot of repetition of the statement by Sal that SE H1 beats SE in anything else (or whatever the exact claim was). But I haven’t heard really anyone say, “****, since I started carry SE H1 I hardly ever sharpen anymore”.
If I can get away with not sharpening an Aus-8 Serrated Endura, I think not sharpening an H1 SE isn't going to be a problem.
(Non life threatening situations).
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Fixmeister

Post by Fixmeister »

For me, I’d like to see a real-world test that involves the sort of things a knife would be put through on a regular basis for average users... a sort of smorgasbord of mediums and not just repetitions on the same one. Cut some rope, cut some cardboard, whittle some wood,cut a few cable ties, slice some fruit or vegetables both - with and without a cutting board, open some mail, clean a fish, cut some fishing line... don’t rinse, but repeat.

I use my knives for a variety of cutting tasks and not just cardboard or rope and would love this sort of real-world test. This would be meaningful for me. Just an opinion. And thanks for taking this on. We’ll learn a lot from what you discover.

Tom
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Go find some old carpet and cut it up. Carpet is typically pretty rough on any steel. Insulation is another one if you have access to any. Basically I'm just looking for how you feel they compare. It really doesn't matter so much what you cut, just use them both enough to dull them and try to give an unbiased opinion. Using them on harder materials that are known to sometimes damage edges may tell us something about toughness.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

500Nitro wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:40 pm
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:45 pm
No Animal hair, sorry not a hunter. The rest is okay. What diameter of Manila rope? What qualifies as dirty? Please provide a link to a good not too terribly expensive scale will purchase.
Drag it through a puddle, mix some dirt in a bucket and dunk the rope in it, then wash it/most of the mud off.

If you are near the sea, drag it through the sand/salt water.

As long as it's consistent.
Ocean is 3 miles away Not a problem I can even use Atlantic Ocean Water as a test medium for corrosion.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Fixmeister wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:38 am
For me, I’d like to see a real-world test that involves the sort of things a knife would be put through on a regular basis for average users... a sort of smorgasbord of mediums and not just repetitions on the same one. Cut some rope, cut some cardboard, whittle some wood,cut a few cable ties, slice some fruit or vegetables both - with and without a cutting board, open some mail, clean a fish, cut some fishing line... don’t rinse, but repeat.

I use my knives for a variety of cutting tasks and not just cardboard or rope and would love this sort of real-world test. This would be meaningful for me. Just an opinion. And thanks for taking this on. We’ll learn a lot from what you discover.

Tom
Thanks for the criteria The fish not be doable unless I can buy one at a supermarket.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:37 pm
zhyla wrote:
I think LC200N is supposed to be comparable to LC200N.
Oops! I meant VG-10. 🖖
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Evil D wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:41 am
Go find some old carpet and cut it up. Carpet is typically pretty rough on any steel. Insulation is another one if you have access to any. Basically I'm just looking for how you feel they compare. It really doesn't matter so much what you cut, just use them both enough to dull them and try to give an unbiased opinion. Using them on harder materials that are known to sometimes damage edges may tell us something about toughness.
By the way I am collecting these ideas as they are posted and creating a document that I will use to come up with some tests.

Will see If I can find some old carpet. Where I live most everything is tile.

I have dulled the heck out of the Pacific salt SE in H1 cutting cardboard and it does not take much. I do keep my knives at a high degree of sharpness maybe more than most. Essentially if it can not slice through paper easily then it is not sharp in my book and H1 looses that ability pretty quickly.

Due to this I tend to not carry the Pacific salt for daily use but keep it in the kitchen as an okay I always know where to grab a good all purpose knife I don't have to worry about. Allot of this has to do with the spydiechef kicking even my millies out of the pocket.

The Pacific Salt does however get allot of around the house use breaking down cardboard, cutting food (It is surprisingly good at slicing cheddar cheese) Breaking down plastic containers for recycling and opening mail.

Now a Military in LC200N now that would be something!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

zhyla wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:22 am
Bloke wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:37 pm
zhyla wrote:
I think LC200N is supposed to be comparable to LC200N.
Oops! I meant VG-10. 🖖
I actually liked the logic of LC200N is supposed to be comparable to LC200N. :) It was unassailable and irrefutable captain.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Just sharpen both, then see which one cuts more cardboard, please. Both SE, of course. I think most of us cut cardboard, and it is hard on edges. It’s a great test medium.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Jazz wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:30 am
Just sharpen both, then see which one cuts more cardboard, please. Both SE, of course. I think most of us cut cardboard, and it is hard on edges. It’s a great test medium.
I tend to think you are right and unlike people who make money from doing reviews the knives are out of my paycheck so I am hesitant to do anything that will abuse them too much. I think most people are like this also.

I have no concerns when it comes to leaving them in a bucket of Atlantic Ocean Water, cutting Cardboard, Cutting Rope, Food Prep. package opening, Breaking down plastics like milk bottles, wilting some wood.

Things I think are an ill use of a knife are Prying, Batoning or even cutting carpet I would use a hook billed carpet knife for that if it was my job to cut carpet something I essentially would not care about too much like a box cutter. Cutting Dry wall is something I might do though to install the rare outlet but have hand saws for that.

I do have a USB Microscope coming to take pictures of the blades and do like the idea of a pressure plate to measure force required to make a cut.

Anyone have recommendations on a pressure plate and how to accurately measure cutting force on one that is not too expensive?
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Buy a few knuckle / femur bones from the supermarket and a couple of back bones.

Drag the knives over these a set number of times to "dull" the edge (if it's possible).
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

zhyla wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:19 pm
Well the wild card is H1 and work hardening. If edge retention is so good because if work hardening, does LC benefit the same? I suspect LC/SE will hold an edge longer than in PE just because that's typical of SE (in my experience) but how it compares to H1/SE is the real question. We know PE vs PE that LC is a significant step up in edge retention, but in SE is a different story.
You’ve been using SE H1 a lot right? How would you compare it to SE VG-10? I think LC200N is supposed to be comparable to VG-10.

I’ve seen a lot of repetition of the statement by Sal that SE H1 beats SE in anything else (or whatever the exact claim was). But I haven’t heard really anyone say, “****, since I started carry SE H1 I hardly ever sharpen anymore”.

I haven't used VG10/SE nearly as much as I have H1 but I can pull out my Stretch and see how it goes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

I've had H1 serrations bend during use on some knives and not on others. For example, I've bent/rolled serrations on my Atlantic and Pacific Salts, but not on my Tasman and one of my Salt 1's. In the case of the Tasman, part of it is the fact that the serrations aren't ground too deep/narrow, and I suspect the other reason is the inward curve of the edge might add strength/stability to the serrated edge(?).

If I had to guess, I'm imagining that the serrated LC200N, while still tough, would have at least a little more edge stability and resist rolling/bending as easily as H1.

Jim