Spydiechef vs Kapara

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
silvershade255

Spydiechef vs Kapara

Post by silvershade255 »

Both designs draw inspiration from food prep, combined with edc characteristics. From a design standpoint (so ignoring material differences), which would you prefer for that kind of use?
"Seven for One"
Sumdumguy

Re: Spydiechef vs Kapara

Post by Sumdumguy »

Spydiechef with a compression lock or a Kapara with a taller handle.

I love the size(could be longer) of the Spydiechef, but do not like the lock.

I love the design of the Kapara, but the handles were a bit to small in height. Other than that it's perfect.

If I had to choose, Kapara.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

I own both and that’s a very hard decision to make my friend. What it boils down to for me is “what type of food prep”? In a friends kitchen or outside bbq. The chef hands down. Now if you are at a restaurant with your better half or a toddler that needs something cut (fruit,steak,veggies) at a table side setting. Then the kapara all day long.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I personally wouldn't buy the chef, even if offered to me for $100. Its such a plain, boring and overpriced knife imo. Kapara, all day!! Beautiful design, handle scales, blade shape.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I don't think the Spydiechef is overpriced. Build construction is great and it builds character quick.
I want a 4.5" Spydiechef.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:57 pm
I personally wouldn't buy the chef, even if offered to me for $100. Its such a plain, boring and overpriced knife imo. Kapara, all day!! Beautiful design, handle scales, blade shape.
Could not possibly disagree with you more.

Do you own a Spydiechef ? Methinks not.

S30V is yesterdays tired old trotted out Super Steel.

LC200N totally owns it.

The blade retention is better the honing to a wicked edge is far easier and it will never pit or rust ever, as in never ever.

The chef is light weight, completely impervious to rust, has blade retention on par with CTS-XHP has corrosion resistance on par with H1, Has a cutting surface on par with a full blown Military in a far smaller package.

Enjoy your Kapara, the Spydiechef however should never be underestimated in favor of that.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:34 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:57 pm
Could not possibly disagree with you more.

Do you own a Spydiechef ? Methinks not.

S30V is yesterdays tired old trotted out Super Steel.

LC200N totally owns it.

The blade retention is better the honing to a wicked edge is far easier and it will never pit or rust ever, as in never ever.

The chef is light weight, completely impervious to rust, has blade retention on par with CTS-XHP has corrosion resistance on par with H1, Has a cutting surface on par with a full blown Military in a far smaller package.

Enjoy your Kapara, the Spydiechef however should never be underestimated in favor of that.
Yep I thought about picking up the kapara with the ebay discount code but when I heard s30v I thought, nope! Honestly I cannot bring myself to buy it when new lc200n options just dropped and more are on the way. In my very humble opinion the kapara was made in the wrong steel.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:43 pm
I don't think the Spydiechef is overpriced. Build construction is great and it builds character quick.
A 4.5" Spydiechef with a compression frame lock like the old ATR would be a fantastic knife!!!

For everyone else:

Don't knock S30V, it is a fine steel. I do prefer LC200N, but the Kapara is a wonderful design and I believe a better package/value than the Spydiechef.

However! If you are looking at both of these knives, GET A CARIBBEAN! It's better than both of them will ever be, no contest. I can't say enough good things about this knife.

Oh, it is also WAY cheaper than both. I paid $125 for mine during an ebay 20% sale, when I combined it with an offer. After using it, I felt bad about getting it for so cheap.I'll pay full price for the next one, it's that good!

AND they are making a 4.25" version!!!

Your Friend,
SDG
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Oops.
Last edited by Sumdumguy on Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Thomas Jefferson
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I just wanted to edit my post to add a space and this is what happens...

-Thomas Jefferson
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

I own both and I would pick the Kapara. The blade of the Spyderchef is to thick. If you are cutting apples or carrots it acts more like a wedge and splits vs slicing. I prefer the longer cutting edge of the Kapara and there is plenty of finger clearance. The Kapara is a great food prep design.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

When it comes to these 2 knives, honestly the steel isn't a major factor to me...personally. I wouldn't be heavy using either. I'm also the type that cleans my blade right after using it, especially with foods. So heck, it could be 8cr13mov steel and wouldn't make a difference to me! People so hopped up on the latest and greatest steels tend to forget how good of a steel S30V actually is. It's kind of annoying.

Someone can post of pic of some custom made scales on a knife in S30V, and nobody gives a hoot. Throw those same scales on a knife in M4 or something similar and the forum goes bonkers.

My decision on the 2 really would come down to the design, looks and lock...which you can't tell me the Kapara doesn't blow it out of the water in all 3 phases. Chef is hideous and around $40 more! I'm not swimming around the ocean or cutting through bricks of salt...Kapara wins.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:15 am
knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:43 pm
A 4.5" Spydiechef with a compression frame lock like the old ATR would be a fantastic knife!!!

For everyone else:

Don't knock S30V, it is a fine steel. I do prefer LC200N, but the Kapara is a wonderful design and I believe a better package/value than the Spydiechef.

However! If you are looking at both of these knives, GET A CARIBBEAN! It's better than both of them will ever be, no contest. I can't say enough good things about this knife.

Oh, it is also WAY cheaper than both. I paid $125 for mine during an ebay 20% sale, when I combined it with an offer. After using it, I felt bad about getting it for so cheap.I'll pay full price for the next one, it's that good!

AND they are making a 4.25" version!!!

Your Friend,
SDG
Which knife are they making a 4.25 inch version of?

BTW Ordered two Caribbean salts one PE and one SE The eBay coupons were what did it for me :)

Agreed with all the spydiechef points and would buy a 4.5 inch version without batting an eyelash.

The only reason I will not buy a Karpara is the steel had it been LC200N it is likely I would have purchased one and one as a backup.

Just read someone saying the Spydiechef is thick? Um ok yeah we... No.

It is a laser in the kitchen here is what I did with it last night grinding my own meat for tacos.
8843DAF6-5537-4417-8909-3BBB484D669A.jpeg
B617C76D-BA4E-40E3-B98A-068A29B31277.jpeg
Doeswhateveraspidercan

End product.
9F35B479-7789-46F0-AFE2-A49394B99FAE.jpeg
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Here is the finished product forum software prevents adding more than one picture at a time it appears. That is a Cabellas Meat Grinder I have been using it for a year now, it works great.

If you click on the picture you can see the Spydiechef laying on a washcloth air drying with no concern and his brother a pacific Salt H1 In the background he always stays in the kitchen.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Oops did not think it took the first picture.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Caribbean gets the 4.25" treatment.

-Thomas Jefferson
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:40 am
Very cool will there be any other changes? any links on the discussion of this with pictures?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:53 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:40 am
Very cool will there be any other changes? any links on the discussion of this with pictures?
Just sporadic droplets from Sal.

-Thomas Jefferson
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Both great knives, with the Chef having the better steel (even though I don't mind S30V).

The OP asked to exclude talk of materials, and give feedback on design, mostly.
In that regard, there're a few points I'd like to make.
Firstly, the Chef is a heavier knife, with a much more understated design (to most folk, at least). The Kapara, with it's superb CF scales, as well as the fancy red backspacer is a real show stopper. It is also leaner and takes less pocket space. Real unusual knife design for Spyderco, in terms of how slender it really is.
The Kapara also feels nicer in the hand, as it is less "slabby" due to the contoured and slender handle.

Now, I am not a big fan of either locks, but I can use the frame lock easier with my left hand (I'm not a lefty, but am entirely ambidextrous). Most righties would prefer the compression lock, however. It is more unique to Spyderco, and is a superb lock.
The Chef does get an advantage for it's design if you're going to be cutting on a surface. The Chef has a bigger 'negative" cutting angle and a wider blade - which helps keep those knuckles further away from the cutting surface, and drive more force into what you're cutting.

Somebody mention that the LC200N blade on the Chef is too thick, and while I completely disagree with this statement - I have to admit it is thicker at it's stock than the Kapara. For me, the taller blade counters this trait nicely, though - It allows for a supremely thin cutting edge, even with a thicker stock. It actually is a feature that I absolutely love, since it makes the knife more robust and "hard use" ready.
That's perhaps the biggest difference between the two knives - the Chef feels like a much more robust folder. It feels like a knife you can thrash on, while the Kapara (even though you probably can thrash on it just as hard) feels a bit more delicate. To me, this great robust feel, combined with being a tremendous slicer makes the Chef the perfect EDC folder. That' me, however.

Now, I cannot avoid mentioning that the Chef's ability to survive a highly corrosive environment gives it additional points, and makes it a clear win for me.
But from design stand-point both knives are terrific, and you cannot go wrong with any of them. Just buy the one you like most in terms of its looks, and keep join mind that eventually you'll most likely own both. :)