Flicking backlocks - who does like it? And motivational post

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Flicking backlocks - who does like it? And motivational post

Post by Wartstein »

Hey everybody, repeatedly I quoted myself in this and another thread by accident (so my post appeared two or three times). Apologies for that! I am anewbie, and when I wanted to edit my post (as I am not a native speaker I sometimes correct mistakes afterward) I happened to QUOTE it instead.
Unfortuntely there seems to be no way to DELETE a post, only Admins can do so, right?
Will be carefull in the future not to QUOTE instead of EDIT ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Where do you live now if you like to tell? And why did you have to leave the imho best place to live? ;)
I live in North Carolina here in the US. I was stationed in that area in 80-81 in the US Army. Strub Kaserne in Bertchesgaden where the Gebirgsjaeger were/are. We did some training with them . I could have been happy staying there but the Army had other plans and I then went to Colorado at the base of the Rocky mountains. I consider myself pretty fortunate with my duty stations.

Joe
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Mastiff wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:57 am
Where do you live now if you like to tell? And why did you have to leave the imho best place to live? ;)
I live in North Carolina here in the US. I was stationed in that area in 80-81 in the US Army. Strub Kaserne in Bertchesgaden where the Gebirgsjaeger were/are. We did some training with them . I could have been happy staying there but the Army had other plans and I then went to Colorado at the base of the Rocky mountains. I consider myself pretty fortunate with my duty stations.

Joe
Thanx for sharing that with me! 80/81 I wasnt even a Teenager, but the Strub Kaserne (Strub baracks I guess in english) is still there. They have a big climbing gym there now, I visit sometimes in wintertime.
So if your were here right now I could show you all you wanted to see on the Watzmann and we could discuss which Spyderco is best to bring on a hike or climb... ;)
Wish you a nice day, my next climb of the Watzmann will be for you! ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Flicking backlocks open with your pinkie op? That requires some serious finger dexterity and strength. Those rocks don’t stand a chance! :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:14 am
Flicking backlocks open with your pinkie op? That requires some serious finger dexterity and strength. Those rocks don’t stand a chance! :spyder:
As I hopefully stated in my first post: Pinkie-Flick just in REVERSED grip of course... ;)
Still took some practicing though... a lot actually.
And concerning the rocks: There are a heap of better climbers than I am... finger strength is not everything it takes ;)
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

[Thanks for your reply! What you mean by "Titanium backlocks"? Not the material, but the redefined new backlock the Native 5 features? That one is really great and solid, absolutely no blade play on my Native 5 LW (which I cannot say about my Enduras, Stretches and Delica)
[/quote]

Back-lock knives with titanium handle...very stout folders.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RobDigi wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:37 am
[Thanks for your reply! What you mean by "Titanium backlocks"? Not the material, but the redefined new backlock the Native 5 features? That one is really great and solid, absolutely no blade play on my Native 5 LW (which I cannot say about my Enduras, Stretches and Delica)
Back-lock knives with titanium handle...very stout folders.
[/quote]

Wow, thanx for the reply after such a long time. Almost forgot that I started this thread, though it was only 3 or 4 month ago...
Let´s see what happens now that you bumped it up again... some new (back lock-) flickers might chime in ;)
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

I can middle-finger flick my Dfly open!
Just tried it last night
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Marulaghost wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:20 am
Just tried it last night
OP here, I don´t own a DFly, but I imagine it is hard to flick... My Native 5 LW gave me a hard time till I could flick it with all fingers, same with my chap. So I figure the lighter the blade, the harder it gets, and the DFly has should have a VERY light one...
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:32 am
Marulaghost wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:20 am
Just tried it last night
OP here, I don´t own a DFly, but I imagine it is hard to flick... My Native 5 LW gave me a hard time till I could flick it with all fingers, same with my chap. So I figure the lighter the blade, the harder it gets, and the DFly has should have a VERY light one...
It's not easy, reliable, or practical. But it is feasible.
The big key is holding the handle snug to your palm and not blocking the blade path

The weird thing is i can't flick my chap open!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I recently got a Stretch 2 and I love it, but it's action is too stiff for me to finger flick open. I'm not saying it can't be done, obviously some people can, I'm just not one of them. On a somewhat unrelated note, knives that I CAN flick open like the PM2 and Para3 are, because of the compression lock, faster for me to close and put back in my pocket than my Stretch since they don't really require me to use two hands or some slightly dangerous maneuver to close quickly like a back lock would (i.e. folding the unlocked blade shut against my hip etc.) anyhoo...
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:40 pm
I recently got a Stretch 2 and I love it, but it's action is too stiff for me to finger flick open. I'm not saying it can't be done, obviously some people can, I'm just not one of them. On a somewhat unrelated note, knives that I CAN flick open like the PM2 and Para3 are, because of the compression lock, faster for me to close and put back in my pocket than my Stretch since they don't really require me to use two hands or some slightly dangerous maneuver to close quickly like a back lock would (i.e. folding the unlocked blade shut against my hip etc.) anyhoo...
Congrats to your Stretch! :)

/ It's been discussed here several times lately: Really not hard to close a lockback knife easy, fast and safe one handed. I "grew up" with backlock knives and it's my favorite lock, so of course I am very used to it. But really everyone can do it. Vivi has a video in his signature where he shows seversl methods, and there are even some more.

So just try! You'll enjoy the grest Stretch even more... ;)
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:23 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:

/ It's been discussed here several times lately: Really not hard to close a lockback knife easy, fast and safe one handed. I "grew up" with backlock knives and it's my favorite lock, so of course I am very used to it. But really everyone can do it. Vivi has a video in his signature where he shows seversl methods, and there are even some more.

Here it is ...
https://streamable.com/gfhxo
Chris :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

anagarika wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:11 am
Wartstein wrote:
JonLeBlanc wrote:

Here it is ...
https://streamable.com/gfhxo
Yes, Vivi shows some good ways of closing a backlock one handed here, but funny enough not the two I use most of the time and consider being the safest.
I'll try to explain:

1.)
- While spine / back of the handle face upwards, press the lock with the thumb, and with your index finger in the hole,pull the blade downwards a good amount. Should be possible to almost 90 degrees (like Vivi does at around 7 seconds into the vid)
- Then rotate the knife 180 degrees in your palm, so that now the back of the handle is facing downwards and resting against your palm
- Now you can easily pull the blade to the closed position with your thumb in the hole or pressing against the thumb ramp.
- May sound complicated, but gets just one, fluid and fast motion after a bit of practice.

2.)
- First step like in 1.)
- When the blade is released, just put your thumb on the other side of the hole (the index finger already is on the opposite side)
- So you pinch grip the blade or more precisely the opening hole
- give the handle a little flick towards the blade, and the knife will close (so somewhat like a "reverse upwards spydie drop")
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Wartstein wrote:
JonLeBlanc wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I am loving my new Stretch, and I'm glad I got the V-toku sprint version!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara