Para 2 Factory 2nd With Blade Play When Closed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dornbox

Para 2 Factory 2nd With Blade Play When Closed

Post by Dornbox »

I recently picked up a nice Blade HQ Para 2 Jade DLC that is a factory 2nd. This has become my new favorite knife for sure. Everything about this knife is fabulous from the cosmetics to the action and lockup. The only issue is when the blade is closed up you can move it (open and close directions) about 2mm at the tip. I've never taken one of these apart, yet, but I think I can disassemble her and bend the lock so it places more pressure on the de-tint which should hold the blade more securely when closed. Would anyone more familiar with issues like this please advise?

Many thanks in advance!
Too many Military family variants... and yet not enough.
:spyder:
Daveho

Re: Para 2 Factory 2nd With Blade Play When Closed

Post by Daveho »

Without seeing it I would guess that the detent is the issue-
That said if it was a super simple fix I’m guessing it wouldn’t have ended up in the factory seconds bin-
How easily does it shake open?
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Take that sucker apart and poke around, it's not like you're going to void the warranty. ;)
Dornbox

Post by Dornbox »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:13 pm
Without seeing it I would guess that the detent is the issue-
That said if it was a super simple fix I’m guessing it wouldn’t have ended up in the factory seconds bin-
How easily does it shake open?
After the 2mm is pulled out the de tint is solid. I think the only reason I noticed it is because I was trying to figure out why it was a second.
Zatx wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:14 pm
Take that sucker apart and poke around, it's not like you're going to void the warranty. ;)

True! I'm more worried about scratching the black hardware.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Sounds like the detent ball and respective hole in the blade tang are mis-aligned. Probably not something you can fix easily.

Still, doesn't hurt to open it up and check. The DLC is not too easy to scratch, plus you can tape up the blade before taking the knife apart.....
Dornbox

Post by Dornbox »

ferider wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:15 pm
Sounds like the detent ball and respective hole in the blade tang are mis-aligned. Probably not something you can fix easily.

Still, doesn't hurt to open it up and check. The DLC is not too easy to scratch, plus you can tape up the blade before taking the knife apart.....

I hear you with regards to the DLC especially on the blade. I'm more worried about the screws. It's such a gorgeous knife. If the softer metal of the screws under the DLC gives I would imagine the DLC would have to give but I have zero experience here. I'd hate to jink up the screws when the blade thing is almost unnoticeable... unless you know it's there and your OCD. :D The good news is that I'd still take a Factory 2nd Spydie over most any other knife.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

It sounds like there's slop in the detent. No easy way to correct that I know of. If it were me I'd probably just use it as is. Detent slop would bug me on a knife I paid full price for but I think I could live with it if I knew it was a second and I paid a reasonable price for it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!