What is this spyderco item

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
notakeres

What is this spyderco item

Post by notakeres »

I recently purchased this Spyderco 440C item, but need help ID'ing it. It is shaped like a butterfly knife, but the blade is not sharp. It is about 1/8" thick and perforated with 5 holes. It has a clip for attaching to a pocket.
Any help you can give me on this item is appreciated.
Mom3ntuM

Re: What is this spyderco item

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
notakeres

Post by notakeres »

Yes, that is it. Thank you.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

ah, I wish Spyderco would do more balisongs.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:48 am
ah, I wish Spyderco would do more balisongs.
Wish I could get my hands on a janisong. At least play with it.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That particular Butterfly knife of Spyderco's is one I owned from the early 2000s. At that time they also had a Butterfly knife that had been designed by Laci Szabo>> and that Szabo Spyderco Butterfly knife is really hard to find. But the one you all are talking about was once made in VG-10 and then they later made it with 440C. There was a big trend at that time for a lot of Butterfly Knives and many companies had their own versions at that time. I've been told that particular Spyderco Butterfly knife in VG-10 is highly collectible>> because they didn't make many in VG-10 and it wasn't long before they switched over to 440C.

Even Cold Steel came out with their "Arc Angel" at that time. Also Benchmade had a few Butterfly knives during that period as well.

Personally I've never been a big fan of Butterfly knives even though I have owned a few of them>> but I traded my last one over two years ago ( Cold Steel Arc-Angel). I do like a few automatics ( switchblades) but I'm extremely picky about what type of design I like in automatic.
jasong™

Post by jasong™ »

anyone familiar w/ the legal particulars? Why we still can't get them in the states? (the janisong)

They're legal in Texas, so If there's some legal question it must be some other laws keeping it from coming in? I'm curious. any import/export attorneys?
"leave shiny footprints" - Sal Glesser